REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Does it matter which Winter Tires I get? Shoudl I just go for the Cheaper ones? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/593391-does-matter-winter-tires-i-get-shoudl-i-just-go-cheaper-ones.html)

TheKingdom2000 10-20-2009 07:56 PM

Does it matter which Winter Tires I get? Shoudl I just go for the Cheaper ones?

Hey guys,
I wanna get a leg up this year in terms of tires for the upcoming winter season.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

There are a whole whack of tires to choose from.
I'm seriously considering the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 but they're $95.
They have other tires there for $60.

Do you think there is much of a difference?
or are the Michelin's more expensive because of their branding?

thank you.

Lowered_Klass 10-20-2009 08:47 PM

As long as you stick with somewhat of a name brand tire, you'll be fine.

I just bought a set of winter General's for my g/f's car, and lots of people have decent things to say abot them. Plus, General is made by Continental, so they can't be that bad...

Any set of winter tires will be a lot better, and a lot SAFER, than all seasons when the temperature drops.

What_the? 10-20-2009 10:03 PM

agreed... i just ordered a set of general altimax arctics too... i'm excited b/c of all the positive feedback :)

!SG 10-21-2009 07:56 AM

it comes down to personal preference, reviews by other owners of those tires, price and availability.

i went with bridgestone lm-25s. they are being discontinued, they were cheap, and they are bridgestones.

sonick 10-21-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What_the? (Post 6645062)
agreed... i just ordered a set of general altimax arctics too... i'm excited b/c of all the positive feedback :)

Me too! First time doing it right, by buying winter tires!

spigot52 10-21-2009 09:58 AM

From experience:
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...peliitta%20RSi is the best...I think you can buy at Kal Tire
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...inter+i%2APike is a close second.
Both are compounds that are very soft in cold weather.

Mugen EvOlutioN 10-21-2009 12:45 PM

had general altimac on my EK before

they were alrit, not too shabby

i'd say 7.5/10 in snow

spigot52 10-21-2009 01:56 PM

Remember...you want to go one size narrower for winters......it reduces hydroplaning and helps 'cut' through the snow....wider tires tend to float on top of the snow.

TheKingdom2000 10-21-2009 02:18 PM

hey guys, I just got this warning message from tirerack when i was putting through some tires for my x5.

Tire Load Warning;
"The follwing tire you have selected has a higher load rating than the vehicle's Original Equipment (O.E) tires. This typically results in increased ride harshness, which some customers may find undesirable"

I don't mean to sound like a retard.. but what does this mean?
The drive will be shitty?

Thanks

TheKingdom2000 10-21-2009 02:20 PM

just an fyi. emailed general and they said their tires are made in Europe if that means anything to anyone..

and like an above poster said, General is owned by Continental.

sonick 10-21-2009 02:32 PM

It means it will be slightly rougher ride and noisier than stock tires.

The tires are also the same tread pattern (but different rubber compound IIRC) as the Gislaved NordFrost 3 (also owned by Continental), which were supposedly pretty good (current model is Gislaved NordFrost 5).

Also, apparently the Michelin Xi2 and Altimax Arctic came in 1st and 2nd (respectively) in recent Consumer Reports testing.

TheKingdom2000 10-21-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spigot52 (Post 6646099)
Remember...you want to go one size narrower for winters......it reduces hydroplaning and helps 'cut' through the snow....wider tires tend to float on top of the snow.

This didn't really make sense to me.. I asked a car enthusiast and he said this when i asked him about the narrower tires..

"Haha.. NO!! You want Wider tread so you get the most traction in snow!! Actually u want wider tread whenever you can get it!! WTF kind of tires cut through the snow?!!! They are all flat on the front? How do they cut?"

^^ his response makes sense?
and having a wider tire would also mean a heavier tire right? and isn't weight important in snow as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6646171)
It means it will be slightly rougher ride and noisier than stock tires.

The tires are also the same tread pattern (but different rubber compound IIRC) as the Gislaved NordFrost 3 (also owned by Continental), which were supposedly pretty good (current model is Gislaved NordFrost 5).

Also, apparently the Michelin Xi2 and Altimax Arctic came in 1st and 2nd (respectively) in recent Consumer Reports testing.

Thanks ^^ appreciate it. I guess i'll just get different tires..

sonick 10-21-2009 03:03 PM

I wouldn't let that deter you if they are a good price, most snow tires in general will handle poorer and have more road noise than all seasons/summer.

spigot52 10-21-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 6646222)
This didn't really make sense to me.. I asked a car enthusiast and he said this when i asked him about the narrower tires..

"Haha.. NO!! You want Wider tread so you get the most traction in snow!! Actually u want wider tread whenever you can get it!! WTF kind of tires cut through the snow?!!! They are all flat on the front? How do they cut?"

^^ his response makes sense?
and having a wider tire would also mean a heavier tire right? and isn't weight important in snow as well?

Thanks ^^ appreciate it. I guess i'll just get different tires..

Check out the ice-racers....they might like to find out that they have been doing it wrong.

drunkrussian 10-21-2009 04:38 PM

it snows like 2 weeks here and as for ice, i've never had a problem with all-seasons. I'm even used to driving on tires with less than 30% tread and as long as you don't take off like a retard right away from a red light, ur good i think...

if u drive a lot or really appreciate how the ride feels (ie in summer you want summer tires and in winter you want to 'cut through snow'), i understand...but if you don't really care, i'm not sure it matters for vancouver weather...

TheKingdom2000 10-21-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 6646356)
it snows like 2 weeks here and as for ice, i've never had a problem with all-seasons. I'm even used to driving on tires with less than 30% tread and as long as you don't take off like a retard right away from a red light, ur good i think...

if u drive a lot or really appreciate how the ride feels (ie in summer you want summer tires and in winter you want to 'cut through snow'), i understand...but if you don't really care, i'm not sure it matters for vancouver weather...

the problem is the side streets. the main roads are generally fine. but having snow tires helps alot, from what i hear. and spending $300 isn't a big deal considering how much safer you will be with snow tires.

TheKingdom2000 10-21-2009 05:26 PM

Hey guys. where can I get my tires mounted?
my friend said Walmart will do all 4 for $60.

i'm not buying rims. im using the same ones on my car. so i need to take the all seasons off my car and put the winter tires on the rim.
anywhere cheaper than $60

Quote:

Originally Posted by spigot52 (Post 6646320)
Check out the ice-racers....they might like to find out that they have been doing it wrong.

ice racers? umm don't they have different objectives then someone who is driving on the road?
don't they drift more too? ie. controlled drift anyways.

to me it seems pretty simple? more surface area is better? more surface area gives you better traction? does it not. My objective is traction and control... maybe the ice racers don't need as much traction and they don't need control because drifting is an objective of theirs?.. i find it hard to believe a smaller tire will give you better traction than a larger one.

that's like comparing the tires cars in the indy use to summer tires for your roadster...ie. you can't compare them.

sonick 10-21-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 6646428)
the problem is the side streets. the main roads are generally fine. but having snow tires helps alot, from what i hear. and spending $300 isn't a big deal considering how much safer you will be with snow tires.

+1, and its not just for snow. Even if the roads are dry with no ice, rain or snow, when the temperature is below 5 degrees celsius regular tires turn to hockey pucks and provide WAY less traction than proper snow/winter tires.

If the car is AWD or FWD then it should be drivable in Vancouver on the main streets once it's plowed or melted down a bit. RWD probably not. Either way, it's much safer with snow tires in every way if you drive regularly on any non-major streets (e.g. granville, oak, etc.)

As for mounting, $60 is the standard cheapest rate, even at RS sponsors. If you want convenience, I know a guy that will do it at your doorstep for $75 (professionally mounted and installed, same guys who do it for Overseas Auto).

Adrenaline Rush 10-21-2009 06:54 PM

Your car enthusiast friend needs to learn more about snow tires.

In the dry you want wide, in the snow you want thin. Others are correct in saying the wider you go with winters, the more they will float on top of the snow, which is not a good thing. If you watch any sort of winter motorsport, regardless if they're studded or not, they will always use thin tires.

spigot52 10-21-2009 07:06 PM

When I first moved to the lower mainland I had studded snows......did me no good because I could'nt get past the thousands of people on allseasons blocking me.
I think a good set of performance 'rain' tires might be a good choice.

DD//M3 10-21-2009 08:17 PM

Just pulled the trigger on the Nord Frost 5's. Was considering the General Altimax but these were around the same price and since the Generals are made from the last generation Nord Frost 3's it was a no brainer.

Do people even remember last winter? I had Bridgestone LM -22's last year and they suck in any kind of snow over 2" in depth. Good ice tire but slush, heavy snow tend to clog the Performance oriented grooves. Making for a slippery ride.

nonyo 10-23-2009 11:02 PM

Picked up a set of Altimax Arctics I imported from Tire Rack. They say made in Germany on them. Rated number 2 in a recent Consumer Reports test. X-ice Xi2 was number one, even though it performed poorly in the rain. The Altimax Arctics performed very good in the rain according to their test.

TheKingdom2000 10-28-2009 12:58 AM

Hey guys,
If you buy from tirerack let me know first that way I can get you 4% cashback with your purchase.

I just got a set for our Sedan (Generals) as well as a set for our SUV (Firestones) and i got $24.80 back from a $620 purchase!

Just PM me for the details.

B-DiZzLe 10-28-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mx703 (Post 6646443)

to me it seems pretty simple? more surface area is better? more surface area gives you better traction? does it not. My objective is traction and control... maybe the ice racers don't need as much traction and they don't need control because drifting is an objective of theirs?.. i find it hard to believe a smaller tire will give you better traction than a larger one.

No you have to think of it this way, it's like hockey skates. The thinner they are the more control you will get, picture youself skating with frying pans on your feet, not pretty.

bui95 10-29-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VancityPimp (Post 6656992)
No you have to think of it this way, it's like hockey skates. The thinner they are the more control you will get, picture youself skating with frying pans on your feet, not pretty.

good analogy.