REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   why dont have assigned seats at the theater? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/593886-why-dont-have-assigned-seats-theater.html)

Djiban 10-24-2009 09:13 PM

why dont have assigned seats at the theater?

Anybody knows why? makes everything more convenient rather than going to the theater early just to save desired seats

StylinRed 10-24-2009 09:37 PM

bcuz would still be competing for seats, at least the way it is now ppl have a better chance to get the seat they want

implementation is an issue

ppl have been used to going to the theatres and finding their seats etc its part of the expierience

etc etc, move to hong kong if ur annoyed by it that much

sh0n 10-24-2009 09:50 PM

Actually I'm for assigned seating but only limited to a small portion of the theater (i.e best seats in house).

I have no idea why the movie theaters haven't thought about this way to generate increased revenue.

I for one would pay a $2.50 or $3 premium to get the seat I want and not have to come 1-2 hr before the movie.

SkinnyPupp 10-24-2009 09:57 PM

They have assigned seating in Hong Kong, and it's awesome. You can even pick your seats online.

winson604 10-25-2009 06:21 AM

I miss the good old days when we still had chinese theatres here at the old Abderdeen and Broadway and Commercial Drive just to name a couple. It was quite handy going earlier in the day buying tix and securing seats and not having to worry about going early just to find seats.

However, like most things there's always pros and cons. When you get stuck beside some douchbags you have no choice but of course this doesn't happen often so really it isn't that much of a con I guess.

Ulic Qel-Droma 10-25-2009 08:11 AM

yeah they should just have assigned seating.

Mugen EvOlutioN 10-25-2009 09:31 AM

they assign seats at GM place, they should assign seats for movie theaters

jACEDesignsLtd 10-25-2009 11:42 AM

one thing with unassigned seating, you often get people putting their jackets trying to save like 10 seats for their late friends on opening night. It's annoying. If you've got a group, come at the same time. A few seats are okay, but more than 4 is going overboard on opening night.

jlo mein 10-25-2009 12:09 PM

I am against this unless movie theatres increase their maitenance of the seats. Too often I walk into a theatre here and some part of the seat is broken or dirty. Another downside is this process would increase the time it takes the average customer to buy tickets, since they would have to choose and decide what seats they want. On busy nights the line ups at the box office and automated machines are already ridiculous. Plus, Cineplex still doesn't have full online ticketing right? So you can buy tickets online, but still have to go line up at the theatre to pick up your tickets?

quasi 10-25-2009 12:48 PM

I like the way it is right now, first come first serve. If you have assigned seating you'll also create a new problem as people will scalp seats to popular movies when they first come out which would be so retarded. You'd have scalpers lining up early and buying tons of seats.

winson604 10-25-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein (Post 6652642)
I am against this unless movie theatres increase their maitenance of the seats. Too often I walk into a theatre here and some part of the seat is broken or dirty. Another downside is this process would increase the time it takes the average customer to buy tickets, since they would have to choose and decide what seats they want. On busy nights the line ups at the box office and automated machines are already ridiculous. Plus, Cineplex still doesn't have full online ticketing right? So you can buy tickets online, but still have to go line up at the theatre to pick up your tickets?

Well it wouldn't exactly hold up the lines, if anything it would probably improve them. Less people would be lining up to get tickets because they already secured them earlier whether at the theatre or online.

RayBot 10-25-2009 02:26 PM

Definitely not necessary to have assigned seating...and its not gonna happen here, because its pointless.

In the average 12 theatre complex...at most, only 2 titles will sell out, and it will most likely be on a weekend, weather the 2 titles take up 3 to 5 cinemas.

On top of that, each theatre will show that movie 4-5 times a day, and most of the times, the theatre isn't even going to be half full....

If you want to watch a movie on opening night, then you put yourself in that situation where u can't wait till monday to watch it when the theatre won't even be half full.

Well, lets also add this...if there is a reservation benefit if people want to compare it to any event where there is reserved seating, then they will also make a reserved seating policy....which i can very well assume means, if you want to reserve your seats, then you will NOT be entitled for a refund whatsoever. Boy, i would hate to have to pay a premium price, and something comes up and waste my money on movie that i can watch anytime.

So why expense a system to assign seats for only 10 busy shows out of the whole week?

Cool that they have it in Hong Kong....but how many people does have Hong Kong have in that peanut sized map-area? This isn't Hong Kong, and for how many people go to a movie per night in Vancouver....ain't necessary.

silk 10-26-2009 08:15 AM

They use to assigned seats in Tw back in the days and it was pretty stupid.
I still like the first come first serve, cry about it if you dont like your seat.

hotjoint 10-26-2009 11:43 AM

:lol at the fails for assigned and no assigned seating

Mugen EvOlutioN 10-26-2009 12:37 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

shenmecar 10-26-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Actually, some theatres allow you to buy and print your tickets online, skip the box office and walk directly to the auditorium when you get to the theatre. This service called "Print, Skip, Scan". I never used it but they keep advertising it just before my movie starts.

I'm against this assigned seat thing because it just sucks. Some seats are just dirty as hell. I sure don't want to sit on gum and liquid spills. Going to a movie earlier and finding an awesome seat is part of the movie-going experience here in Canada. Don't like it? Then wait for the DVD.

Gt-R R34 10-26-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

AGREED - the theatres now are getting very nasty, i always find the floor sticky from spilled pop and never cleaned it seems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 6652695)
I like the way it is right now, first come first serve. If you have assigned seating you'll also create a new problem as people will scalp seats to popular movies when they first come out which would be so retarded. You'd have scalpers lining up early and buying tons of seats.

Good point - never thought of it, but if 1 guy buys up all the best seats in the morning and sells them at night for a premium. Interesting concepts.

vapour_lock 10-26-2009 04:21 PM

im curious, how do they enforce assigned seating in hk? is it an honor system? the only prob i see is the extra manpower needed to enforce this, and is it worth it.

J____ 10-26-2009 04:47 PM

assigned seating will reduce overal revenue. If the shows almost sold out and theres only shitty seats left, chances are ppl wont buy tickets. If you're about to sell out and ppl dont have assigned seating, at least ppl will still buy those last tickets hoping they'll get a decent seat.

cases in asia are different, since the theatres there rarely sell out. Most ppl pay $5 outside the theatre for a pirate anyway =/

jACEDesignsLtd 10-26-2009 05:20 PM

I don't think the cost of movies would make it worth it for scalpers to pre-buy tickets and re-sell them. But right about the theatre not selling the shittier seats (e.g. front rows) though.

Personally, I went to Asia and liked the assigned seating. I knew what I was buying ahead of time. But I appreciate that it was a different place, different culture.

OH and one question. We have those Cineplex Odeon GCs. Do they work online like the "Print, Skan, Skip" thing that Shemecar was talking about? If so, I'm doing that next time.

Djiban 10-26-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J____ (Post 6654534)
assigned seating will reduce overal revenue. If the shows almost sold out and theres only shitty seats left, chances are ppl wont buy tickets. If you're about to sell out and ppl dont have assigned seating, at least ppl will still buy those last tickets hoping they'll get a decent seat.

cases in asia are different, since the theatres there rarely sell out. Most ppl pay $5 outside the theatre for a pirate anyway =/

This is a good point. Thanks for answering my question.

SkinnyPupp 10-26-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vapour_lock (Post 6654480)
im curious, how do they enforce assigned seating in hk? is it an honor system? the only prob i see is the extra manpower needed to enforce this, and is it worth it.

Your ticket has the seat number on it, just like when you go to a concert or whatever. Nothing is stopping you from switching seats, and you can if it's not busy. But if you are in someone's seat, you just have to move.

Also, when I was in Canada and there was a huge lineup and I knew I would be in the back, I just didn't buy a ticket. It's the same as when I am in Hong Kong and I look at the seating chart on the monitors and see that there are no good seats left.

It's so much better than the system they use in Canada. There is no issue with scalping either, even for super huge releases. Surprisingly enough.

BD2002 10-26-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Djiban (Post 6652103)
Anybody knows why? makes everything more convenient rather than going to the theater early just to save desired seats

that's stupid.

Gh0stRider 10-26-2009 08:25 PM

I hope they never do this.
Posted via RS Mobile

impactX 10-26-2009 08:29 PM

I like the assigned seating in HK as I always buy tickets online and get to the theater on time instead of arriving 30 mins earlier like in Vancouver.