REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #26
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
my friend also got the notice in the mail. he wants to be compensated, but from the wording in the letter it appears his claim needs to be backed up with a dealership diagnosis that the coils were faulty (which he has) and were replaced by an authorized mechanic, which he did not because the coils were bought from a vw dealer and installed by himself...
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 PM   #27
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
customers usually get MSRP.. unless theyre returning/ regular customers.

ahhh.. nothing beats staff pricing.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
indeed they do, hell when my friend ordered some parts at Toyota for his MR2 the young guy at the parts/service counter gave him the seniors discount
all you have to do is ask.

I went to Wolfe Mazda to buy all my parts for my RX7 rebuild. When I said I would buy all my parts through them I asked what he could do for me. I get wicked prices and they have now earned my business. I've spent over 2k purely on gaskets/washers/small items etc. And not my engine blew again so I need more parts. Guess where I'm going... they treated me well the first time around so they're getting more business.

Just ask...
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
my friend also got the notice in the mail. he wants to be compensated, but from the wording in the letter it appears his claim needs to be backed up with a dealership diagnosis that the coils were faulty (which he has) and were replaced by an authorized mechanic, which he did not because the coils were bought from a vw dealer and installed by himself...
working at a BMW dealership and knowing how warranty works, I don't see it being an issue. What the dealer would just do is claim it now, and when they get paid out from the manufacture they will actually come out ahead because all warranty claims are paid out with labour included.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #30
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

The dealership is doing their job. If you think its too much look elsewhere...plain and simple.
It doesn't matter what the car is...high end or not...if you can get the part cheaper elsewhere...just get it and stop whining
I have a BMW and if I can get the exact same part (same part #) down south and it being cheaper, for example, I will...

this goes for anything you buy...
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD
84' Pontiac Sunbird Coupe (J2000) - SOLD
Kalize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #31
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Therefore you should buy the minimal necessary when you buy a car.

in theory a Corolla will do everything well LOL.

But it's a consumer's market, and consumers are not logical animals.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #32
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Therefore you should buy the minimal necessary when you buy a car.

in theory a Corolla will do everything well LOL.

But it's a consumer's market, and consumers are not logical animals.
my grandparent's 08 Corolla did the most insane thing ever.

4 months after they bought it, it refused to start, and if it did it would shut itself off within 20 seconds, unless you kept the revs at 4000k (lol listen to that 4 banger)
At that point the car only had 400km in it (they only use it to go to Yaohan, but they live like <1km away from it)

Called up Richmond Toyota, and the service guy thought I was crazy, citing that "THIS AINT A GM, COROLLAS DON'T DO THAT". After a while of explaning, they sent a tow truck, one day service, got everything fixed (turned out the ECU raped itself) for absolutely nothing. Moral of the story - corollas do fuck up, just not very often.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Complaining about $54 for a coil pack? Guess you've never worked on many cars before. Most cars on the road would average more than $100 per coil, and many cars are in the $200-$300 range (and I'm not talking about high-end cars either).

I did a $1,000 repair on an A4 that came up under recall later on (the timing one), and Audi re-imbursed her the full amount, even though we're an independent shop.

Another Audi customer had new coils replaced by us at a cost of $80 per coil (before the PRICE DROP). All they had was an invoice from us and Audi still gave them back the $80 per coil they paid (plus labour) even though the current price is much lower.

I sometimes wonder why some people have so many problems with dealers when most people I know have things go smoothly.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #34
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
Complaining about $54 for a coil pack? Guess you've never worked on many cars before. Most cars on the road would average more than $100 per coil, and many cars are in the $200-$300 range (and I'm not talking about high-end cars either).

I did a $1,000 repair on an A4 that came up under recall later on (the timing one), and Audi re-imbursed her the full amount, even though we're an independent shop.

Another Audi customer had new coils replaced by us at a cost of $80 per coil (before the PRICE DROP). All they had was an invoice from us and Audi still gave them back the $80 per coil they paid (plus labour) even though the current price is much lower.

I sometimes wonder why some people have so many problems with dealers when most people I know have things go smoothly.
Wasn't it not that long ago that you posted a thread about how badly dealerships have ripped your customers off? Something about knowingly selling sham extended warranties that had fine print contradicting official service intervals directly from the manufacturer? These are all the same appalling crew of pirates. So what makes you so skeptical of dealerships apparently having bent so many people over in other respects?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #35
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

try a nissan/infiniti ign.coil is about $140.

and usually its hard to trace to a single cylinder and if you do, the rest are most likely to fail within a few months, so usally have to replace them all, for a v6 thats over $800!

if you can't afford to take your car to a dealership then don't. simple!
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #36
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
You charge labor for replacing coil packs on an Audi?! I'd love to go to your shop LOL. I've never seen a shop charge for a 2 minute job that requires almost no tools at all.

Let me know where this shop is so I can come there the next time my coils blow!