REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 11-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Exclamation Problem with doing a wheel alignment on my 5th Gen Prelude

Hey Guys,

So I have run into a problem while I was at the mechanic trying to get a wheel alignment done after I put on a brand new set of snow tires.... I originally had the car in Vancouver but moved to Montreal last year <-- I don't know of any car clubs in Montreal which is why I'm posting on RS once again

My car, 1998 Honda Prelude, is lowered 1.5-2inches (front/back) so when the mechanic put the 'jaw' and this machine that projects a laser onto my rim, he noticed right away that I wouldn't be able to get an alignment done. The reason is because of the side of my front lip and piece of plastic (in middle under the car) that sits in the way of this laser which can't shoot through the other side into the other machine.

Has anyone experienced this before? Do you know if any shops, or even dealers (Honda) have a machine that can be adjusted to bring this 'laser' down a bit so it can shoot through to the other side of the car to the other wheel?

Also, I don't have a camber kit - just lowering springs. The mechanic told me that I would probably need a camber kit in order to keep my wheels straight (not angled) since its lowered. How much do these usually cost?

Anyway, my main concern isn't this camber kit, which I'm sure I'll be able to find on eBay or craigslist or something - but what I am worried about is the fact that this mechanic was unable to perform a wheel alignment for me.

Again, has anyone come across this pickle before?

It sucks and I don't want to ruin my brand new snow tires by driving on them without an alignment....
Advertisement
dopey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Ok.... so turns out that there is another shop that is able to do alignments on dropped vehicles...not a problem...HOWEVER, I need to purchase a camber kit before going ahead with this.

Also, for the next week or so before the camber kit arrives, I'll slap on my summer tires again (since they're pretty much worn out and useless) instead of driving on my brand new snow tires.

Question is, whats the best camber kit to get for a 5th gen prelude? The one I'm looking at right now are EIBACH (http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/part...lignment/11148)

They are $214 each (front and rear seperate), so total is roughly $430. Is this how much they usually go for? Is this considered expensive?

Thanks guys, much appreciated here...

MODS: if this thread is in the wrong category, I apologize...please move to appropriate place if need be..

Thanks again,

-shaffin
dopey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
eibach

spc

ingalls.

all do the same function, just different brands. i would sya ingalls is closer to what eiback does.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote