REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #26
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I could see how driving 170 in a 90 k zone and passing other vehicles on the right would get you 2 VTs. They could even consider criminal Code dangerous driving instead. You have to ask yourself if you want a JP to hear the circumstances involved? The fines can go up to $2000 each if the circumstancs fit. Based on the situation a spresented her, I think you got a real break, as you could have easily been issued a "due care" VT for $345 instead of the $196 "consideration".
I understand. It is worth a try to ask the officer to reduce the consideration ticket to following too closely or unsafe pass on the right In my view and that is what I will try and do, see if he gives me a huge break. If he is unwilling I suppose I will not show up to court.

Thank's for all your time and all your replies everyone.
Advertisement
unspankable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #27
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspankable View Post
I understand. It is worth a try to ask the officer to reduce the consideration ticket to following too closely or unsafe pass on the right In my view and that is what I will try and do, see if he gives me a huge break. If he is unwilling I suppose I will not show up to court.

Thank's for all your time and all your replies everyone.
Not showing up to court will only make things worse.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
jlenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 3,562
Thanked 330 Times in 163 Posts
When you dispute it, can you post here your court date, time and location? I'd like to come and watch you perform on the stand.
__________________
Don't be the next RS.net statistic - If you drink, don't drive. You'll lose your licence, and the rest of us will laugh at you.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #29
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Not showing up to court will only make things worse.
Isn't not appearing in court just an admission of guilt? Isn't that what It equates to?

Please explain how this will worsen the situation. A statement with no elaboration helps me very little. Thanks!
unspankable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspankable View Post
I'm sorry I disagree, but thank you for your opinion nonetheless. I was aware of my surroundings just further ahead of the average driver at 80km/hr. As for looking behind me I'm doing 170... anyone else going fast enough to either keep up with or pass me better be keeping their eyes straight front as well. They are not my concern. Obstacles much further ahead are.
Please don't speed anymore. "Tunnel vision" is not an opinion.

I'm no angel, I have done 200+ on highways, its not hard to check your mirrors even at that speed.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #31
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspankable View Post
Isn't not appearing in court just an admission of guilt? Isn't that what It equates to?

Please explain how this will worsen the situation. A statement with no elaboration helps me very little. Thanks!
Google.

Its OK to ask questions, yet you've gotta do some research yourself. We're not here to check your mirrors for you.

If you don't show up to court, it is a an automatic guilty plea. Yet the judge can change the fine, adding surcharges for wasting the courts time.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #32
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Or issue a bench warrant IIRC.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #33
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
"Isn't not appearing in court just an admission of guilt? Isn't that what It equates to?"

What a non-appearance in Court means is that the disputant (you) has abandoned the dispute and a finding of "deemed convicted " is made. The penalties imposed are those on the face of the ticket. Same as if you appeared in Court and entered a guilty plea and no evidence was physically given by you or the Police. Everything is taken at face value.

If you contest the tickets by appearing in court then ALL the circumstances are before the JP. The fines can go up or down...unless it is one of the charges with a mandated minimum $ figure. I have seen fines get jacked towards the $2000 when the full circumstances were discussed. Sometimes it's better to take your losses and skulk away, rather than risk the wrath of Khan !

Last edited by zulutango; 11-13-2009 at 11:19 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #34
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspankable View Post
I'm sorry I disagree, but thank you for your opinion nonetheless.
Nicely put sir! Too many people here would be "in your face" and I appreciate your response.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #35
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: PR
Posts: 1,131
Thanked 250 Times in 128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspankable View Post
I understand. It is worth a try to ask the officer to reduce the consideration ticket to following too closely or unsafe pass on the right In my view and that is what I will try and do, see if he gives me a huge break. If he is unwilling I suppose I will not show up to court.

Thank's for all your time and all your replies everyone.
The money you will be saving by having the Drive Without Consideration ticket reduced to an Unsafe Pass on the Right ticket is about the equivalent to having paid both tickets within the 30 day time frame, give or take a few bucks. If I had served that ticket, I would not negotiate based on that alone.
__________________
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #36
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
The money you will be saving by having the Drive Without Consideration ticket reduced to an Unsafe Pass on the Right ticket is about the equivalent to having paid both tickets within the 30 day time frame, give or take a few bucks. If I had served that ticket, I would not negotiate based on that alone.
Hi!
I have already disputed the ticket not because I believe I am innocent, (that is up to the court to decide) but so I may have a chance to talk to the officer. The driving without consideration ticket is 6 points whereas following too closely is 3 and an unsafe pass on the right is 2. My worry is not the initial fines, but the license suspension that accompanies a 9 point ticket!
Also with the new penalty point premium, I will end up paying dearly every year!

Again thank you for all your support RS. The lesson learned here is be late for work rather than be an idiot. It's better losing your job than your license and possibly your life.
unspankable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #37
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unspankable View Post
Hi!
I have already disputed the ticket not because I believe I am innocent, (that is up to the court to decide) but so I may have a chance to talk to the officer. The driving without consideration ticket is 6 points whereas following too closely is 3 and an unsafe pass on the right is 2. My worry is not the initial fines, but the license suspension that accompanies a 9 point ticket!
Also with the new penalty point premium, I will end up paying dearly every year!

Again thank you for all your support RS. The lesson learned here is be late for work rather than be an idiot. It's better losing your job than your license and possibly your life.
You didn't need to dispute to talk with the officer. He listed his badge number on the ticket and all you have to do is either call the detachment and ask for him then set up a meeting. Then after that, go down to the detachment and talk things over. No need to dispute.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net