REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Soft Tissue Damage

Was in a car accident last night (rear-ended) and almost immediately (within about 5-10 minutes) had sharp pain go through my lower back. We went to the hospital and the doctor said from what I told him it sounds like I have soft tissue damage and that it will only get worse before it starts to get better.

My question is, other than keeping moving (as suggested by the ER doctor) and eating advil, is there anything else I can do about the pain? I have a pre-existing back problem from a car accident about 15 years ago, and I'm pretty sure getting hit last night made it worse. I'll be going to see my family doctor as soon as I can get an appointment with him (which I'm not even sure I'll be able to since everyone is freaking out about this stupid flu), but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
physiotherapy?

i had the same thing and they put me on heat pads and it helped a lot, as well as the routine stretches
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll bring that up with my doctor when I see him Any suggestions for the immediate time? I can't afford physio without a DR referral and it's going to be a while before I can see him (stupid flu shots).

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Thanks, I'll bring that up with my doctor when I see him Any suggestions for the immediate time? I can't afford physio without a DR referral and it's going to be a while before I can see him (stupid flu shots).
hot showers on your back, back stretches routinely

under your insurance you're eligible for 8 visits to physio/chiro and more if the physio/chiro thinks you need more.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

get a lawyer. and look into getting spinal decompression treatments. I'm in the same situation cept the accident was different but I sustained soft tissue damage to my low back. after getting x-rays at the spinal decompression institute in coquitlam they isolated the pain a buldging disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrae. It gradually gets worse no matter what you. Its been 15months since my accident and even after the spinal decompression which alleviated about 60-70% of the pain. I can still feel sharp pains to this day. ICBC sent me to Back In Motion in Richmond to do an active rehab program and it did not help all that much other than strengthen some muscles, but the main site of the pain is the actual disc. If only spinal decompression treatments costed less then I would have continued until I could fully resume normal activity. its super expensive but if you've got any disc problems thats the best treatment.
CoLoRs Member #26
For Good or For Awesome?
Nismo200SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

^ I have a buldging disc as well (according to my chiro) and I am wondering how much it costs for a spinal decompression? Would you know if extended med covers such treatments?
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Director of RS Cares

it's funny how we don't really notice pain in our bodies until overtime as i'm for sure the accident i was in years ago are behind most back pain i get nowadays. so i'm sorry to hear about your recent accident. it's going to be a long road to 100% recovery but at least you're okay!

i'd suggest taking warm baths instead of showers (1. you're lying down to relax and not standing up which puts pressure on your back to stay up 2. you're letting your muscles to really soak in the warmth of the water), easy exercises that help relieve tensed up muscles, and to take your time when you get up from sleeping, couch etc etc. you'd be surprised how much force we put on our bodies in every action that we make. so take your time!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
Stretch and stretch some more. The stronger your tendons and muscles are the less your body will rely on your joint to take the pressure of movement.
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
any serious soft tissue damage will show its ugly head 2-3weeks after the injury.

so yes, its only going to get worse if u felt pain right after the accident.

see your doctor for a check up, he will send his finding to icbc, go see ur icbc appointment, set up seeing chrio, physio, anything that helps. go see lawyer.

icbc is a business, the less they can pay out, the better for them. protect urself and ur rights with a lawyer. and honestly its easier on icbc as the lawyer knows exactly what they are talking about and require.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #10

So it's been about 2 weeks since the accident and the pain has just gotten worse and worse. I've been to my doctor since I first posted and all he did was prescribe some anti-inflammatory drugs and tell me to come back and see him in 2 weeks (which is next week). I discovered on Wednesday I can't do something as simple as jog to catch a bus without causing myself A LOT of pain.

When I go back to see him I'll be requesting referrals for Chiro and massage therapy as well. The thing is, I really want to get into rugby next season, and I don't want to miss out on time getting into shape for it. Can anyone think of some easy exercises I could do that wouldn't put a lot of pressure on my body as it's healing? Besides swimming...

TIA guys.

Quote:
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!