REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Cool Increasing Speed Limits Doesn't Kill

Utah: Increasing Speed Limits Doesn't Kill

Test Confirms 80 MPH Okay
http://autos.aol.com/article/utah-speed-limit-tests

Posted: Nov, 06 2009 | By: Jonathon Ramsey, AOL Autos

Humans are marvelous at self-organization -- it's how we get nomadic tribes and cities like Tokyo, it explains how New Yorkers avoid each other and actually get places on the sidewalks in midtown, and it leads to things like book-of-the-month clubs. It also explains how we avoid accidents at intersections when the red light stops working. Given our choice, we will find ways on our own to live together, mostly safely.

The blackest and whitest versions of the speed limit debate put "Speed Kills!" on one side and "No it doesn't!" on the other. Because both sides have metric tons of paperwork to prove their positions, the chance that the debate will be settled in our lifetimes is intergalactically remote. A recent speed limit trial in Utah, though, appears to be another scrap of evidence for those on the side of "No it doesn't."

"The Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT)," began an article in TheNewspaper.com, "announced last week that the experimental increase in the state's maximum speed limit to 80 MPH has been a success in terms of safety. UDOT Deputy Director Carlos Braceras testified before the state Interim Committee on Transportation that that there has been no increase in accidents as a result of the higher number printed on the speed limit signs on certain stretches of Interstate 15."

Barring any other considerations, a speed limit is determined by studying the behavior of 85% of traffic over a given stretch of road. That 85th percentile is given credit for self-organizing into a group that moves at the safest and most efficient speed. There doesn't appear to be any clear-cut study that proves this, but it has been gospel for so long that it is now the precedent for deciding limits, and in some instances, court cases.

The UDOT measured the speed of that 85th percentile before and after raising the limit. When the maximum allowable speed was 75 mph, it reported most drivers doing between 81 and 85 mph. Given another five miles an hour to legally play with, a year of observation found that most drivers doing between 83 and 85 mph. The vehicular carnage that some suspected didn't materialize, nor did drivers automatically begin driving 90 or 95 mph. As was the case before the limit was raised, people liked going about 85 on the stretches of road in question. They probably also enjoyed not getting tickets for it.

Without taking sides, Utah's findings do match recent findings and decisions in other states. When the North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) studied speed limits on six sections of roads it maintains, it changed the speed limits on five of them: one saw a decrease of 5 mph, the other four were increased from 5 to 10 mph.

When Montana had no daytime speed limit, fatalities not only went down but Montana recorded the state's fewest road fatalities during that period. Internationally, the number of fatalities per billion vehicle kilometers has been higher in the U.S. for about the past seven years than anywhere in Western Europe except for Ireland. Even Germany and its unrestricted autobahn suffer fewer injury incidents than the U.S.

Outside of the safety issue, some folks have chosen to see Utah's DOT results as proof that higher limits mean less speeding. That could be cheating a bit by using a relative definition of speeding -- people didn't actually slow down, the law just happened to catch up to them. Almost.

It could be more informative to see the issues of speeding and safety as follow-on effects of the widely held but as-yet-unproved instinct at work: 85% of people found a speed range at which they can drive mostly safely. And as that range didn't really change after the posted limit was changed, we can assume that the instinct for a safe speed has nothing to do with what the posted and enforced speed limit happens to be.

People want to get where they're going quickly and alive. If the powers that be would set limits more in accordance with that fact, perhaps the national blood pressure – and that of drivers – would flow more efficiently and just as safely. At least, it wouldn't hurt to try it out here and there.

It gets back to that self-organizing thing we've been perfecting for thousands of years. As a herd, we will find ways on our own to live together, mostly safely. Even in the fast lane.
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
bad drivers kill
Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

bad decisions kill
(ie. drink and drive, blaze and drive)
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
I prefer doing acid and driving
Old 11-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Barring any other considerations, a speed limit is determined by studying the behavior of 85% of traffic over a given stretch of road.
Except in Metro Vancouver...
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

80mph on the highway? a bit excessive.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ What's so excessive? It's EVERYWHERE in Europe. You don't like it? Keep right.

I sure hope other governments are noting this, and actually change the signs. Almost all highways in the GVRD are a good 10-30km/h below what people (ie MOST cars) drive, especially once you get past Abbotsford.

Like the article said, nobody ever plans on getting themselves killed. Let's face it, you know the system is flawed when you're cruising above the limit and more of your attention is focused on cops with radar guns than other cars or hazards on the road.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
^ What's so excessive? It's EVERYWHERE in Europe. You don't like it? Keep right.

I sure hope other governments are noting this, and actually change the signs. Almost all highways in the GVRD are a good 10-30km/h below what people (ie MOST cars) drive, especially once you get past Abbotsford.

Like the article said, nobody ever plans on getting themselves killed. Let's face it, you know the system is flawed when you're cruising above the limit and more of your attention is focused on cops with radar guns than other cars or hazards on the road.
SO true. Everybody in Vancouver drives atleast 60km/h and around 100km/h on the highway.

2008 TSX 6spd
2002 WRX - gone
2008 Honda Civic - gone

My Feedback
triplexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
Banned (BBM)

who the fuck follows the gay speed limite in van

like seriously
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:23 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Increasing the number of c-lais on the road will kill
oinkoinkpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkoinkpig View Post
Increasing the number of c-lais on the road will kill
so what do you suggest?
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #12
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
so what do you suggest?
deportation for bad immigrant drivers

but yeah its not the speed that kills its the idiots behind the wheel
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Poor driver training and hesitation kill............. all our speed limits (50km/h etc.) were put in place in the 1950's when it took a car 270feet to stop from 100km/h instead of the 120-130feet a lot can do it in today.

It will never change though... keep in mind that in North America we live in a society that *always* caters to the lowest common denominator (stupid people holding us back)
68style is online now   Reply With Quote