REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   BMW M3 GTS (https://www.revscene.net/forums/595398-bmw-m3-gts.html)

hal0g0dv2 11-06-2009 09:06 PM

BMW M3 GTS

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/238...601024x768.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/521...611024x768.jpg

TOPEC 11-06-2009 09:10 PM

whats the difference between a normal M3 other than the obvious difference?

BEEB 11-06-2009 09:21 PM

Bonny's Taxi right out of the box !

TRD3000GT 11-06-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX_Renesis (Post 6671857)
whats the difference between a normal M3 other than the obvious difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7G6K-i4soQ

mas604 11-06-2009 11:28 PM

hmmm cool looking color...but the wing looks, how should I say?....distracting. Doesn't flow but I'm guessing it has functionality and not for aesthetics.

keifun 11-06-2009 11:47 PM

I like the colour...

get rid of the rear spoiler..plz!

tonyvu 11-07-2009 03:06 AM

i would only notice the wing anyways, nothing special

LowTEC 11-07-2009 06:12 AM

swapped out for cheaper seats, took out the rear seats and put a half cage at the back, so how much cheaper than a normal M3?

PavelGTR 11-07-2009 10:23 AM

A good track car.

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-07-2009 11:38 AM

M powaaaaaaaaa ya heard

jeff_alexander 11-07-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6672436)
M powaaaaaaaaa ya heard

If it ain't V-TAK, it ain't the shit, ya heard?

RICE NATION FTW

TRD Rs200 11-07-2009 12:09 PM

i still dont like the hood

Pt20 11-07-2009 03:51 PM

not bad
not liking the spoiler

Blinky 11-07-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LowTEC (Post 6672208)
swapped out for cheaper seats, took out the rear seats and put a half cage at the back, so how much cheaper than a normal M3?

Same discount as Porsche for the GT3 RS and Lambo for the Gallardo Superleggera. :thumbsup:

Actually I'm a bit surprised as this doesn't even appear to be a homologation special. The M3 already has one.

Domani 11-07-2009 04:39 PM

nice does it come with the helmet and the race suit?

Adrenaline Rush 11-07-2009 05:02 PM

Nice upgrades but it's pretty much double the price of regular M3 - I'd pick up a GT3RS instead

jeff_alexander 11-07-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Rush (Post 6672763)
Nice upgrades but it's pretty much double the price of regular M3 - I'd pick up a GT3RS instead

I'd pick a http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/1...-acr-073VP.jpg

Instead

124Y 11-07-2009 08:25 PM

From: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...BMW-M3/244635/

Quote:

BMW’s M division is back in the business of building specialty street legal race cars with a new lightweight version of the M3 called the GTS.

The lightweight coupe, due to go on sale in the UK in early 2010 for 115,000 euro (£102,000), has been conceived as a limited edition model primarily for club based racing in much the same way Porsche produces the 911 GT3 Clubsport.

But in a clear effort to link its track based activities with the production car side of its business, BMW’s M division is offering the new car with an homologation package that will allow potential customers to register the M3 GTS for street use.

Helping to distinguish the new track orientated M3 from the standard versions of the iconic two door is a body kit based on that used on BMW’s 320si race car campaigned in the WTCC (World Touring Car Championship).

It includes a deeper front air dam with an integral splitter element as well as a sizeable adjustable boot lid mounted rear wing. The traditional kidney grille and air vents within the front fenders also come in a dark finish.

BMW M division engineers have also given the M3 GTS a carbon fibre roof and dispensed with much of the sound proofing material within the bodyshell as part of a weight saving initiative aimed at raising performance. The new car is claimed to weight no more than 1500kg – some 155kg less than its standard sibling.

Inside, there’s a spartan interior which dispenses with many of the M3’s usual luxuries. The standard trim is replaced by simple carbon fibre and alcantara panels while hard shell front seats, six point harnesses, roll cage and fire extinguisher all form part of the race grade package. Customers will also be able to specify the new BMW with a basic sound system and air conditioning unit.

At the heart of the M3 GTS is a heavily revised version of the M3’s 4.0-litre V8 engine. It has been increased in capacity by 10 per cent, with longer stroke extending the 90-degree unit out to 4.4-litres as part of efforts to provide the GTS with increased low end performance while retaining the strong top end attributes for which the standard engine is renowned.

Other changes include a larger carbon fibre inlet manifold, reworked throttle body butterflies, cast aluminium pistons, a stiffer crankcase and revisions to the sump to provide more reliable oil scavenging at high cornering speeds.

No specific output has been revealed but peak power is claimed to have increased by around 30bhp over the standard M3, taking it up to 450bhp and providing the M3 GTS with a power to weight ratio of 300bhp/tonne.

The increased under bonnet reserves are channeled through a beefed up version of BMW M Division’s seven speed DKG (double clutch gearbox) Drivelogic transmission boating remote shift paddles like those found on the standard M3.

The Getrag engineered unit has been modified with ratios unique to the GTS, more resilient clutch plates and altered software mapping – all aimed at reducing shift times and providing an even more aggressive action in manual mode.

The M3’s electronic M differential has also been tweaked for greater lock up on overrun, while the DSC (dynamic stability control) receives revised software mapping designed specifically for competition use.

Underneath, the M3’s aluminum intensive MacPherson strut (front) and multi-link (rear) suspension has been heavily revised with altered geometry and a rear sub-frame that bolts directly to the body.

The dampers have also been reworked with adjustment threads allowing adjustment of the compression and rebound characteristics. Unsprung masses have also been reduced through the adoption of new 19-inch cast aluminium competition wheels shod with 255/35 ZR 19 (front) and 285/30 ZR 19 (rear) Pirelli P-Zero Corsa tyres.

Changes to the brakes see the single piston floating caliper units used on the standard M3 replaced by new fixed calipers with six pistons up front and four pistons at the rear.

shenmecar 11-08-2009 10:14 AM

minus the spoiler!

ELITE_TRAYUNZE 11-10-2009 02:51 AM

lol viper can't handle for shit.

Mancini 11-10-2009 09:11 AM

The M3: Pricey, but it's a meaningful upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELITE_TRAYUNZE (Post 6676487)
lol viper can't handle for shit.

What? The Viper ACR may be one of the very best handling road-legal production cars. On fast high speed corners they can produce a sustained 1.5g grip and on slower corners the mechanical grip is immense. It's also incredibly stable.

I read an article comparing it against an Elise around a road course section by section. They measured mid-corner speed, as well as entry and exit speed. At the very worst it matched the Elise and bettered it in some corners.

Z3guy 11-10-2009 09:16 AM

^ sure the Viper ACR can post awesome #s. However these #s are posted by a professional driver. The difference between the Vipers Vs porsches/M3s are that regular driver can post pretty good lap times in a porsche/M3. However a regular driver piloting a Viper ACR won't come close to the pros.

Mancini 11-10-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z3guy (Post 6676705)
^ sure the Viper ACR can post awesome #s. However these #s are posted by a professional driver. The difference between the Vipers Vs porsches/M3s are that regular driver can post pretty good lap times in a porsche/M3. However a regular driver piloting a Viper ACR won't come close to the pros.

Backwards.

The ACR in particular is reported to be stable and predictable. Especially for a car with this level of capability. Remember, we're not talking about the standard model here.

The Porsches (911-based cars) with their engines in the back are not cars for a novice to get into and drive quickly. Even those moderately gifted must first be aware that these cars require a different driving approach. And they are very finicky about suspension geometry setup. I'm not bashing Porsche - I love these cars.

The thing about the ACR is that its capabilities are so much higher than a typical Porsche or M3 that a novice can under-drive the car and get comparable lap times more easily.

Where the ACR falls flat on its face is daily livability. But this thread is about an M3 club-racer that appears to be in the same boat. How these two cars compare in terms of performance I do not know. The M3 being discussed here is an unknown entity (at least to me).

Why exactly do you suppose that a regular driver will do so much poorer in the ACR? At this point it sounds like an ignorant and falsely biased opinion.

Z3guy 11-10-2009 12:49 PM

^ sounds like you read magazines......I have nothing against the Viper...not my style of car, but have you ever driven a car with 600hp/500+lbs from a 8.4L V10?

if you have, you would know what I am talking about. Oh I forgot, the ACR does not have traction control, stability control, and is RWD. I guess this makes it easier to drive than a 911 Turbo with all wheel drive and lots of electronic nannies.

there is no pt debating with you because you really don't know what you are talking about.....

XxFcukxX 11-10-2009 01:10 PM

fuck that orange is ugly : /