REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ICBC repair - can I replace my trunk with an aftermarket trunk?

Hello members
I got in a rear ender last week - wasn't my fault, but its time to get it fixed. Apart from the trunk that needs to be replaced, the bumper needs to be refinished, quarter panels, etc. Prior to the accident, I have always wanted to eventually upgrade to a CSL style trunk for my E46. This trunk goes for about 700 dollars here. From what I have heard, an OEM E46 trunk will also go for about the same price.

My question: Is there any way possible that I can get JUST the trunk piece portion paid out so that I can supply my own trunk, and have ICBC cover the remaining for the other repairs and painting of the trunk?

I am more than happy to pay any difference if the trunk I want is more.

If this is possible, please chime in with how I should ask the estimator. Going in on Tuesday!

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

u can get all of that and still get your aftermarket trunk.

All depends on your body shop. If theyre willing to do it for you.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

depends on your body shop.

on my old car, icbc replaced my oem headlights, i bought aftermarket headlights,
just took the oem headlights and sold them
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

again it will be fine if you are pretty tight with your bodyshop, but they risk getting inspected by ICBC and they wil be fucked.

chances are slim, ICBC is pretty anal about that stuff, they will only replace "EXACTLY" what was on the car nothing different. Doesnt matter if the item you want to change costs less, the same, or more. They will not change

I had oem grills on my e46, replacing them cost $130 for oem, I bought carbon fiber ones for $120 and they wouldnt reimburse me.
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Ask the bodyshop, don't as the estimator.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post
again it will be fine if you are pretty tight with your bodyshop, but they risk getting inspected by ICBC and they wil be fucked.

chances are slim, ICBC is pretty anal about that stuff, they will only replace "EXACTLY" what was on the car nothing different. Doesnt matter if the item you want to change costs less, the same, or more. They will not change

I had oem grills on my e46, replacing them cost $130 for oem, I bought carbon fiber ones for $120 and they wouldnt reimburse me.
when i got hit in a parking lot, i supplied a Foresight bumper instead of an oem one, and icbc paid me for the bumper, and also painted it... so maybe it depends on your adjuster...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingies View Post

Yeah - I heard that when the shop sends the bill to ICBC they look at the parts ordered and are not happy when there are non-oem parts from performance shops.

I did read another member's post on e46fanatics.com in which he asked for the trunk to be paid out and used the money to purchase the trunk he wanted to install on.

Would I want to let the estimator do his thing first, and call back afterwards to see until I find someone who is willing to pay out the amount? Or do I have to tell the estimator while he is doing the estimate?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm with the people that say "ask the body shop". I did some upgrades when my car got jumped on... new fibreglass hood instead of a stock steel one. I paid the difference though...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #9
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I work at a body shop and have done this before....

As long as ICBC is not paying more $$ for the aftermarket part than the OEM part (and a recycled part is not available) they don't really care b/c they are saving $$ in the end.

Best thing to do is talk to the shop you choose and have a source for the other trunk-lid. Nothing is worse than someone who wants an aftermarket part but has no idea where to get it.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

I did this with my old GTI. I just paid the difference through the body shop between the OEM bumper and the aftermarket.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Banned (BBM)

i had it done before on my first car, OEM parts replace as aftermarket stuff
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

can anyone drop a few names? body shops that might be able to do it?
2blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blunt View Post
can anyone drop a few names? body shops that might be able to do it?
+1 Would also like to know some local shops who are ok with doing this and do a good job on repairs at the same time
Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #14
RS controls my life!

a lot of shops will do it... they will bill ICBC for the OEM or replacement part and then will just order the aftermarket or different part you want... In most cases the replacement OEM part will cost significantly more than the aftermarket/upgraded part... (ex oem suspension can cost way more than replacing the entire suspension with coils etc)

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
a lot of shops will do it... they will bill ICBC for the OEM or replacement part and then will just order the aftermarket or different part you want... In most cases the replacement OEM part will cost significantly more than the aftermarket/upgraded part... (ex oem suspension can cost way more than replacing the entire suspension with coils etc)
Shops can actually get into a lot of trouble billing for 1 part and installing something different - its called fraud. The only way around it is to install an aftermarket part and note it on the ICBC claim as a cost savings that has been discussed and OK'd by the customer. Most times ICBC doesn't have any issues with things like this.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Visit one of the sponsors?

eg http://www.revscene.net/forums/revsc...tive-f225.html

Do some of the heavy lifting yourself, build new relationships instead of just sitting in front of the computer, expecting hand outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewboi View Post
+1 Would also like to know some local shops who are ok with doing this and do a good job on repairs at the same time
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote