REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Never go to BIG O tires on Kingsway to mount and balance

This is just a story to remind all you guys that Big O tires on Kingsway do the shittest job to mount and balance tires.

I brought in a set of new tires for them to mount on a set of Advan's and went to them cuz one guy on the forum said they are very good.

They scratched up two of my rims big time. After they mount them, they said they are too busy that day so didn't even balance them. Never go to them.
Advertisement

Last edited by suby913; 11-15-2009 at 09:18 PM.
suby913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
and you just left? take pictures, report to ICBC, and email call the district manager to file a complain.

Next time, i recommend tuner shops that aren't rushed and take more care for aftermarket wheels..

BIg o tires, they deal with dealers/and stock wheels, so they dont really give a damn
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

which guy did the job
i had a short vietnamese guy hes really good he didnt stratch my new wheels
nismosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

they are all vietnamese. Well what can I do, they say the scratches are there already. One wheel was just freshly fixed so the paint was mint. Afterwards, the inner lip is like roughed up, a 3cm paint stripped on the wheel.

Not to mention that they didn't even balance the wheels for me and told me to go. They said my advan center cap has 6 hex screws so it will take them another hour to take them off, balance them and put them back on.

Worse experience ever.
suby913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

that is bad service
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

low profile tires?
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
you get what you pay for.

there is a reason why there is a sponsor that EVERYONE reconmends get their tires done there. ESPECIALLY for low pros

talent can only go so far, talent + good equipment, means NO DAMAGE!

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post

there is a reason why there is a sponsor that EVERYONE reconmends get their tires done there. ESPECIALLY for low pros

talent can only go so far, talent + good equipment, means NO DAMAGE!

X2

But, when guys working at these places clearly don't give a fuck, that's a whole other issue. There is no excuse for sloppy workman ship. Sadly, this is common place among a lot of tire shops
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

if u play the modified cars game, then you have to understand that certain things like running low profile tires is gonna be a lot tougher to work on than say regular sizing.

but look it now? u have cars coming out from the factory with incredible braking systems. they acheive this by large rotors and better brakes! what this means is a larger wheel to clear them, which means a lower profile tire. seeing 45 or even 40 series tires on a stock vehicle that came stock with wheels and tires like that are becoming way more common! technology for mounting these tires have kept up with technology of these tires.

get it done right, get it done at advance(coquitlam), drive hard(richmond), advanced (northvan). all have the machine that can do it. one in each city, there is no excuse!

you take care of ur car right? then why cheap out on something like mounting ur tires. on top of that, call around! im sure the pricing is pretty damn close to the other tire shops!

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
get it done right, get it done at advance(coquitlam), drive hard(richmond), advanced (northvan). all have the machine that can do it. one in each city, there is no excuse!

you take care of ur car right? then why cheap out on something like mounting ur tires. on top of that, call around! im sure the pricing is pretty damn close to the other tire shops!
It all boils down to money,the OP of this thread was most likely a cheap fuck,called the places you mentioned,thought it was way too expensive,so he decided to take the wheels to big o tires and have a bunch of hack job refugee nammers that are use to installing POS bald truck tires back home.

And now he wants to bitch about the piss poor service he got,due to the bad choice he made.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

honestly

from what i remember

the on smaller wheels, the price at the sponsor shops is CHEAPER than at some of the tire places.

when you hit 18s, 19s, 26s then you will know why they have to charge what they charge. large diameter wheels + thin low profile tires = needs more than 1 person to help out. just by that pure fact, the price to mount these, safe and security knowing the best machine is being used, more than makes up for the extra cost to mount these tires.

you think you guys got it bad. i gotta mount 245/30/20s on a 20inch CHROME wheel! thats like an inch and a bit of total sidewall on the tire, which a flared lipped wheel. by no means is this all that extreme but seriously, as a joke try dropping these off at any regular tire shop, and see how loud the tire mechanics yell out the word "FUCK!!!" when they see the rims and tires! you may even see some wrenches and tools being thrown in anger, and possibly, just maybe a mechanic dropping down on his knees to cry..."WHY GOD WHY MUST U PUNISH ME!!!"

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors

Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

having tried my hand at mounting tires, i will have agree that equipment counts for quite a bit. there is skill and know how involved, but like every job, having the right tool makes it easier and less prone to screwups.

regular tire shops handle mostly stock wheels with big side profiles which are fairly easy. i learned that if you cared, you'd take it to a place that deals with big rims and low-pro more often as they should have the equipment to handle that.

even if most cars come stock with lower profile tires, it's still up to the shop to upgrade their equipment to handle it. then it's up to the owners to figure if they do enough business to justify the costs.
"Oh."
r-b-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Hi everyone

I’m a little nervous poking my head in here after the initial comment in this thread however I’d really like to clear things up with the Revscene members.

Before I begin I’d like to personally say thank you to the members who post with fair, logical and reasonable responses as well as to those who know our shop and are prepared to defend our good reputation.

Regardless of where any fault should lie, I will extend an awesome discount to anyone mentioning this Revscene thread. (it might be a good idea to print this out in case I am not in the store when you ask for the discount).

We’ve been closed for most of 2010 due to a fire in the neighbouring business and I’ve only now seen this complaint. This complaint comes from the month prior to the fire which is now nearly 16 months ago.

There are a couple things to consider.

-There is a possibility that the complaint should be directed to Kingsway Alignment (the neighbours who had the fire) who removed all there signs and pretended to be us whenever we weren’t looking. They were an unqualified tire and repair garage - they attracted many customers who threw caution to the wind at the sound of a $10 change over. If this is the case we are deeply sorry for the deception by KA and that you did not receive our good service. The good news is that they are no longer in business.

-If this was not the case and Big O Tires was responsible for damaging your rims, I am deeply sorry. If I was aware that there was a legitimate complaint I would certainly do whatever I could to resolve it. Our 43 year (3 generational) success here is that we keep our customers happy.

-Although both KA and Big O had Vietnames a tire installer at that time, our tire tech has been our installer for 15 years. KA’s installer at that point had just been recently trained.

-Also, my shop uses ONLY Italian Corghi tire changers which are the best there is. We change tires for Brian Jessel and other clients with demanding applications.

-Lastly, concerning your centre cap… regardless of who handled your changeovers, you were visiting a tire shop in November which is peak season due to snow tire changeovers. It is quite likely that if you had specialty wheels that required additional work (i.e. dismantling of centre caps), that this would bog down a system that is geared for rapid tire changes. In my opinion it would be quite fair for the tire shop to request that you come back to have the lengthy balancing job done when things died down (considering that balancing is an optional feature and not a safety feature). It may have been inconvenient for you however based on what you reported in this thread, I don’t think the tire shop would have booked your appointment to do this type of tedious work during their peak rush had you explained that you had extraordinary centre caps.

Last edited by Randy@BigO; 04-14-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Randy@BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

went to big o on kingsway and they renovated the place and it looks 100x better
i needed to mount and balance a pair of 245 35 18 on 10s
ive been here before but i didntknow if they were open or not since the fire but i called around for a pair of tires m&b for $100 at kaltire $80 for oktire and when i got there the lady said $50 for the pair
great service and reasonable priced A+
ps they didnt stratch my wheels
nismosx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
I posted this before but I recommend: PTU Automotive, #160 - 2268 No. 5 Road. 604-247-0800 (Kwok) for mounting tires on rims. He mounted and balanced my set of tires on rims with a lot of effort and detail. Apparently, my rims were really wonky and he had to use a lot of weights :<. Price was great included everything, $50 for four. For what it's worth, cuz some other guy recommended Big O on Kingsway and look what happened :<.

Last edited by whitev70r; 04-29-2011 at 08:03 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

And how is $50 for the pair at that crappy place a decent place, Speed Syndicate and BJ Autohaus charges the same price for a pair but I trust their work a 1000x more.
2.5i913526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I posted this before but I recommend: PTU Automotive, #160 - 2268 No. 5 Road. 604-247-0800 (Kwok) for mounting tires on rims. He mounted and balanced my set of tires on rims with a lot of effort and detail. Apparently, my rims were really wonky and he had to use a lot of weights :<. Price was great included everything, $50 for four. For what it's worth, cuz some other guy recommended Big O on Kingsway and look what happened :<.

yup went there too, long haired guy, Matthew did a great job mounting my 235/40/17 on 17x9 RPF1 for only $50 for ALL 4.
bokyo102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

anyone know how much they charge for mounted and blanced set of 19" winter tires??
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I went to Big-O just yesterday to mount some tires on my 11" wide carbon fibre dymags.

They did an awesome job, and were really nice and friendly, and the price was unbeatable!

I highly recommend them!
mobilett is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Thanks big o tire owner
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: