REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
GM chief wants Ampera in UK

Vauxhall’s new Ampera, the Europeanised plug-in hybrid closelyrelated to the forthcoming Chevy Volt, will eventually be built atEllesmere Port in the UK, if newly installed GM Europe chief NickReilly gets his way.

First versions of the Ampera, due to reachBritain during 2011, will be built in the US, about a year after theChevy version hits the road in the US.

“Whether we make theAmpera depends on the volume it generates,” says Reilly. “At thisstage, that’s hard to predict, especially since we haven’t yet pricedthe car. But I would definitely like to make the car in Europe, and Ithink Ellesmere Port has a good chance of being the place we choose.”

Accordingto newly announced plans, GM Europe aims to cut about 20 per cent ofits production capacity across Europe - and 10,000 of its 50,000 jobs -but believes it can be making “solid” profits by 2012, on a lower costbase and a total Opel/Vauxhall volume of just under a million cars ayear.

GM Europe will make “at least” the range of models it does now, says Reilly.

“Twoof our main global architectures have been developed in Europe, and wethink the importance of our design, engineering and R&D here willbe maintained. What could change is the proportion of ‘local DNA’ webuild into regional versions of our major models - and that may need alittle more local engineering. We may also make slightly biggermid-life changes to design and specification in future. But these arechanges of emphasis, not fundamentals.”

Reilly also expects greater interchange between GM’s remaining four US and European brands.

“Couldan Opel be something else in the US? We’re definitely open to that.We’re four brands now, not eight, and we have a lot of planning to do.But I can see more interchange than before, and that might mean usaligning US models into the European market, too.”

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...ncepts/245168/
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
I wonder when they're going to come out with the Opel Watt?

Chevy Volt
Vauxhall Ampera
Opel Watt

The power trifecta!
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
damn thats a good looking car
now to get some opel grilles of my own