REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Okanagan Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/okanagan-automotive-chat_153/)
-   -   Honda tire sizing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/597043-honda-tire-sizing.html)

neilb33 11-20-2009 03:30 PM

Honda tire sizing

just wanted to know what size of tire i can fit on a EF sedan, ive been told 225 is the widest but wanted to just ask yall to see what you think..

also in the market to buy new tires for AutoX and dont know what i should run, any ideas? looking for a street/track radial w/ 180 to 120 treadwear rating...no slicks lol

Tchleung 11-20-2009 04:01 PM

Depends how much you are lowered. What offset wheels, willing to flare fenders or not. 225 is doable. I ran 235/60r15's on my Teg which has suspension design similar to the EF

jeffh 11-20-2009 05:28 PM

205 50 15 re11's
225 45 15 r1r's
225 45 15 rs2
those
/end thread

cstishenko 11-22-2009 10:43 AM

You have been out of it for a while brosk, good luck finding RS2's still.

Hankook released the RS3 a while ago, it still comes in a 225/45/15. It made up for the RS2's shortcomings and is said to be a fantastic tire.

I've heard the Kumho XS is one of the if not, the fastest tire right now. It only comes in a 205/50/15. But for a light EF sedan.. That is alot of tire as it.

Keep in mind, running a 225 on a narrow wheel can potentially have a narrower on the pavement footprint than a 205 on the same wheel! 225 should only be used on 7.5" wide wheels at the minimum. Unless your running 8" wide wheels, Neil.. Stick with a 205. Plus tires are cheaper and more readily available.

my .02c

cstishenko 11-22-2009 10:47 AM

A tire that is too wide for the wheel ALSO decreases turn in response.

General rule of thumb for properly sizing tires to wheels:

Take your width in mm: ex. 205

Convert that into inches. And that is the size of wheel you should aim for, in order to have optimal performance.

On my MS3, I put 235's on 7.5" wide wheels this summer. Though, my purpose in doing so was to kill some of the boy racer feel of the car. They ride smoother/ quieter and turn in is slower. Which is perfect for daily driving, like I do.

neilb33 11-25-2009 11:47 AM

will a rim thats 8 inches wide work in the EF body? i just dont want any rubbing issues..

cstishenko 11-25-2009 01:36 PM

Yes, as long as the offset is correct Neil.

Are you looking at purchasing new, or do you already have a set of wheels?

On a standard Honda style aftermarket wheel, say a 15x7 38 offset.. I would'nt go any more than a 205.

If you can round up a set of 15x8's Then and only then would I go with a 225 45 15.

If you need any help finding something, let me know.. I'm always cruising wheel forums.

cstishenko 11-25-2009 01:40 PM

In a 15x7 with a 205 try to stay around a 35-45 offset for optimal performance.

In a 15x8 with a 225 try to stay around a 32-40 offset from what I remember.. That way you'll have no issues rubbing on the strut/ control arm in the wheel well.

jeffh 11-25-2009 03:12 PM

^ the rear is gonna rub like a bastard, on the fender or the reat trailing arm, depending on how much offset you go, but it will rub on either for sure, simply not enough room

cstishenko 11-25-2009 05:22 PM

Justin Is running 225/45/15 'kooks on 949 racing wheels on an EF hatch with no rub. The 949 racings were a 32 off, were they not?

Shane was runing 205/45/15 SPT's on Rota RB's down around a 28-30 off including spacer if i remember correctly, with very little rub on the fender when driven hard only.

cstishenko 11-25-2009 05:35 PM

As for tire choice... Bang Per Buck, I've heard the recent KUMHO Ecsta XS is one of the fastest tires right now, and one of the least costly.

jeffh 11-25-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstishenko (Post 6700311)
Justin Is running 225/45/15 'kooks on 949 racing wheels on an EF hatch with no rub. The 949 racings were a 32 off, were they not?

Shane was runing 205/45/15 SPT's on Rota RB's down around a 28-30 off including spacer if i remember correctly, with very little rub on the fender when driven hard only.

justin modded his trailing arms, rolled his fenders and added spacers to make that work

i had to grind my trailing arms run a spacer and roll fenders

shane did the same with he ran 949's

cstishenko 11-25-2009 09:53 PM

By grind them, you mean almost notch them, so that you can fit the tire in there????

Thats GROSS. Small wheel and tire package batman. And to think I was dissapointed that I would have to make magic happen to able to fit 18x9's and 245's under the Mazda.

jeffh 11-26-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstishenko (Post 6700871)
By grind them, you mean almost notch them, so that you can fit the tire in there????

Thats GROSS. Small wheel and tire package batman. And to think I was dissapointed that I would have to make magic happen to able to fit 18x9's and 245's under the Mazda.

exactly that, the 225 710 was so wide it rubbed even with a spacer on the RTA, and will still rolled the shit out of my fenders with the slugger

fourtirefire 11-26-2009 06:24 PM

A 205/50/15 is allready plenty of tire for a light little EF.. Just think, they came with 175/70/13's stock.. you're upsizing quite a bit.

cstishenko 11-26-2009 07:16 PM

Now do keep in mind Jeff, an R compound tire is probably going to run a little wider than any STS oriented tire. How much? probably not much. Though, anything can be made to fit, with the right tools. lolol

Who misses autocrossing old hondas?? I know part of me still does. Back in the day when it was all in fun, running what ya brung.

neilb33 11-27-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstishenko (Post 6699988)
Yes, as long as the offset is correct Neil.

Are you looking at purchasing new, or do you already have a set of wheels?

On a standard Honda style aftermarket wheel, say a 15x7 38 offset.. I would'nt go any more than a 205.

If you can round up a set of 15x8's Then and only then would I go with a 225 45 15.

If you need any help finding something, let me know.. I'm always cruising wheel forums.

well if i remember..the wheels i have now are 15x7.5 wit +34 offset, i was runnin the yokohama S.drive on a 205/50 but this was ina H22 powered EG hatch..

its just wierd because their was this dude with a stock crx on 225/45/15's and just killed every event and my times all dayyy and i just figured it was all in the tires he had, but runnin a stock EF sedan is gonna be a whole differnt story from the hatch..

cstishenko 11-27-2009 08:14 PM

You are talking about Matt Schmidt. And yes he will dominate, but that car is purpose built and is not even liscenced for the road. They buy 225/45/15 Hankook RS3's for that car and have them shaved to race depth. Any daily driven car within a similar class will have a hard time keeping up.

Remember, the S-drive is not an autocross worthy tire. Theyre a good summer street and highway tire, but thats all.

What all is done to your sedan? What class are you in now, and what class would you like to stay in?

Which wheels are on the car?? And what is their weight?

What suspension are you on? And do you have a rear swaybar under the car, stock or aftermarket?

What is done to the car performance wise? I/H/E? Bushings? Motor Swap?

I'd assume it is a 5 speed?

Between Jeff and I alone, we could probably do a decent job of getting you dialed in for next year just on here alone. You may not be able to beat Matt, as he is in a lighter/ shorter wheel based car.. But you will be MUCH faster than you were in 09.

Also: What is your budget like? The faster you want to go, the more money you will spend.

If you are truly serious about autocross and want to go fast... I suggest a change of vehicle. If that is not feasible, lets point you in the right direction with the one you have.

Lastly: The driver needs to be the best tuned part of any car. If you'll let me.. I'd like to co-drive your car for one or two events. See if we can tune up your driving. I'm not the best by any means, but I think I still have it.

(this is Craig btw)

jeffh 11-27-2009 09:33 PM

isnt matt still rocking my crusty v700's? man ive been out of the scene haha

either way, he has become quite the pilot, and that is who your racing, not the car he drives.

cstishenko 11-27-2009 09:52 PM

When I was talking with Brian this week, it sounds like they have it dialed into CSP dead on the head. Theyre not only trailering the car to the track still, but shaving a new set of RS3's every season too. Sounds like a motor build to allowable specs is happening this winter too.

He's a good driver, but a good car also plays a large part.. You too know this Jeff, near the end your DC was dialed.

spigot52 11-28-2009 04:51 AM

Matt has the CRX set up for STS, and ran shaved R1R's, which he loved, despite the fact they have only lasted one summer.
I'm sure he will do more to it over the winter.
The only reason the car is trailered, is that it is cheaper than insuring it just for the events.
I think the Kumho XS is the best bang for the buck.

neilb33 11-28-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cstishenko (Post 6703570)

Remember, the S-drive is not an autocross worthy tire. Theyre a good summer street and highway tire, but thats all.

What all is done to your sedan? What class are you in now, and what class would you like to stay in?

Which wheels are on the car?? And what is their weight?

What suspension are you on? And do you have a rear swaybar under the car, stock or aftermarket?

What is done to the car performance wise? I/H/E? Bushings? Motor Swap?

I'd assume it is a 5 speed?

Between Jeff and I alone, we could probably do a decent job of getting you dialed in for next year just on here alone. You may not be able to beat Matt, as he is in a lighter/ shorter wheel based car.. But you will be MUCH faster than you were in 09.

Also: What is your budget like? The faster you want to go, the more money you will spend.

If you are truly serious about autocross and want to go fast... I suggest a change of vehicle. If that is not feasible, lets point you in the right direction with the one you have.

Lastly: The driver needs to be the best tuned part of any car. If you'll let me.. I'd like to co-drive your car for one or two events. See if we can tune up your driving. I'm not the best by any means, but I think I still have it.

(this is Craig btw)

I ran TSM i think last year with the EG and placed 7th overall, im runnin in outlaw next year and i think and with that i might keep the sedan as stock as possible (motor wise) just because of the stupid handi-caps they give out when you swap...

I will most likley get a Y7 head and convert to mpfi, i might run the 15x7.5's i have now, their super light and i like em alot..

as for suspension i got nothing at the moment, stock rear sway bar, but my friend has these adjustable blox strut/spring package, 4 way adjustable..

I am lookin for I/H/E but i might just put the money into suspension/steering pieces and bushings n such...

I got money in da bank. no problems their

and as for the sedan itself i wanna make it autocross worthy because everyone says it cant...the cars hood as fuck, just needs the jdm crx sir front end lool but yeah....im so done with hatchbacks, everyone and their dog has one..

and ya craiger i knew it was you, why the new account? and hell ya you can drive my car, any day of the week son!!! muwahaha

jeffh 11-28-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilb33 (Post 6704122)
I ran TSM i think last year with the EG and placed 7th overall, im runnin in outlaw next year and i think and with that i might keep the sedan as stock as possible (motor wise) just because of the stupid handi-caps they give out when you swap...

I will most likley get a Y7 head and convert to mpfi, i might run the 15x7.5's i have now, their super light and i like em alot..

as for suspension i got nothing at the moment, stock rear sway bar, but my friend has these adjustable blox strut/spring package, 4 way adjustable..

I am lookin for I/H/E but i might just put the money into suspension/steering pieces and bushings n such...

I got money in da bank. no problems their

and as for the sedan itself i wanna make it autocross worthy because everyone says it cant...the cars hood as fuck, just needs the jdm crx sir front end lool but yeah....im so done with hatchbacks, everyone and their dog has one..

and ya craiger i knew it was you, why the new account? and hell ya you can drive my car, any day of the week son!!! muwahaha

:haha:

kids these days. you gotta choose, you wanna do well at autoX or you want a sick dope ryde

if you want to do the former, pick a class, pick a budget and follow the formula
im sure i could still ramble off builds for any honda you wanted to build for autoX in any class that they are actually competetive in
but a 4 door ef with a head swap and JdM tytE front end? good luck

and heck yess i miss my honda, but i dont miss the $$ i dumped in to it on a weekly basis chasing a class that was way above my head just to prove a point

cstishenko 11-28-2009 06:31 PM

Sorry yes, R1R's and STS. Not CSP and RS3's

What does the "outlaw" class allow, Neil?

cstishenko 11-28-2009 06:49 PM

It looks as though your 4 door Civic would run in H stock or CSP if modified accordingly. In H stock it might be competitive with fresh bushings, a complete tuneup, a set of koni's or KYB AGX's, and a set of sticky 14" tires. (14" was stock wheel size right?) In CSP you would be dominated. You might aswell pull down your pants and spread cheek after each race.

As Jeff said,you hve to determine whether you want to be a superstar on the street or on the autocross course.. You never can do both together.