REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
Contact Lenses Usage

Just wondering what people are doing with their contact lenses

First question is when the lenses are meant for 30 days, is that meant to be thrown out after 30 days it's been open or after wearing it 30 times (I dont wear contacts each day)

2nd question: What's the difference between biweekly's and monthlys? Let's say I keep good care of it, wash case thoroughly with new sol'n each time, is it still necessary to throw it out after 14 days of use?

To me it doesn't seem to make a difference..only that the fresh contacts feel "oxygenated" upon the first use.

I'm using Acuvue advance btw..which apparently is being phased out.

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
30 days means you can wear it for 30 days, then it should be thrown out and use a new pair.

Bi weekly and monthly contacts just means that you can wear the pair for longer without it having a lot of protein deposits, which is bad for your eyes and can lead to an eye infection.

If you wear a pair for too long, then it'll feel dry even when you just put them on. They can also have a lot of strain on your eye when they start moving around cause of the lack of moisture. Wearing a pair of contacts for longer than you should isn't a bad thing as long as it's not too long, but it should be thrown out when expired, most people i know are guilty of that. Let your calender tell you when to throw them out, not your eyes.

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Director of RS Cares

Every night I use the Clear Care contact solution and the special lens holder (the tubey thing). The solution itself uses hydrogen peroxide to clean your lenses from germs/icky things and it takes a total of 6 hours to clean. After the 6 hours, the solution is then turned into a sterile saline solution.

I feel this method is cleaner and more comfortable than using the normal sterile saline solution like opti-free with those flat lens case holders. The only time I would use a product like Opti-free is if I''m taking my lenses out earlier in the day but need it at night as well==so instead of waiting 6 hours I just pop them in the flat case with OF and clean everything at the night all at once after I come home or something.

Biweekly/Monthly lenses has a timeline up to 14/30 days but with proper cleaning and care, you can prolong it by a couple days. Also, it depends on how comfortable they feel on you as well. If they start to feel less hydrated, flexible..throw them out!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #4
Peanut Butter Jelly with a Baseball Bat!

speaking from someone who has worked in the optometry field for a few years.. professionally speaking, you should not extend the wear of your lenses beyond the term. if it's a one month lens, you should only have it for 30 days then you need to toss it.

however in reality, people do extend their wear of their lenses. everyone's personal hygiene and the way they take care of their lenses is different so there is no set rule, however please keep in mind that the longer you extend the wear the higher the risk of infections, especially if you don't take care of your lenses properly. you do not want to know about how bad the infections can get.. if it gets bad enough, you may never be able to wear contacts again.

also please keep in mind that regular contact lens cases such as ones that come from opti-free or solo care are not air tight and do have bacteria build up over time. they should be thrown up after 3 months or so depending on how clean you can keep them. i would apply the same rule to the solo care cases.

you only have one pair of eyes, so you may want to exercise precaution when you think of what you're doing to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
this aint mcdonalds, smiles aren't free.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #5

^ thanks...what's the difference between the sol'n ms crayon brought up and the B&L ReNu multipurpose sol'n that i have...the renu says it removes proteins as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #6

As miss_crayon has pointed out clear care solution is actually a peroxide and takes a longer time to clean your lenses than the regular no rub solution. and even when they say no rub, rub the lenses. it's only no rub under specific conditions such as squirting solution all over the lenses for like 10 continuous seconds or something like that.

like miss_crayon said, people who use clear care tend to feel their lenses are cleaner. however they do require more time to be effective and accidentally having the peroxide get into your eye is extremely painful and a really unpleasant experience. only ever use the solution that's already been neutralized in the case to rinse the lens, not the solution that's straight out of the bottle.

miss_crayon has a good system going with using the 2 different types of solution as it gives the user the flexibility to have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Does any contact lens company want to hire me as a case study?

I wear O2Optix, which they say can be worn up to six days continuously.

Well, I extended that just a little bit... well, a lot.

I've been wearing this one pair of contact lens continuously 24 hours a day for the last... 26 months or so.

I've never had an eye infection, and my eyes have not gotten any worse in the last 17-18 years.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #8

^ wow. that is very impressive however not recommended! something that extreme is definitely not recommended for people to follow. and you're definitely going to bankrupt the manufacturers. hahahaha

i can only speculate either a) your eyes are not very sensitive or b) you have an intense cleaning regime.

once again all i can say is though, you only have one pair of eyes so treat them well. everyone is different and it's a case by case issue but you are the one to assume the risk based on your actions.

Quote:
Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut Butter Jelly Time! View Post
^ wow. that is very impressive however not recommended! something that extreme is definitely not recommended for people to follow. and you're definitely going to bankrupt the manufacturers. hahahaha

i can only speculate either a) your eyes are not very sensitive or b) you have an intense cleaning regime.

once again all i can say is though, you only have one pair of eyes so treat them well. everyone is different and it's a case by case issue but you are the one to assume the risk based on your actions.
I definitely don't have an intense cleaning regime... in fact, I don't clean the lenses at all. I literally just leave it in 24/7/365. Sometimes they're a little dry in the morning, but after I wash my face and get a little moisture in my eyes, they'll be fine for the rest of the day. I almost never get any irritation in my eye... and the odd time that I do get something foreign in there, I'll take it out to clean it off... but we're talking about like once every few months at the most.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
Director of RS Cares

just because you can't see it (bacteria) doesn't mean it's not there.
i agree with the whole "treat your eyes well, you only have one pair" because it's fricken true!! don't take your body for granted just because something feels fine to you.

these are your eyes here!! your windows to the world!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I definitely don't have an intense cleaning regime... in fact, I don't clean the lenses at all. I literally just leave it in 24/7/365. Sometimes they're a little dry in the morning, but after I wash my face and get a little moisture in my eyes, they'll be fine for the rest of the day. I almost never get any irritation in my eye... and the odd time that I do get something foreign in there, I'll take it out to clean it off... but we're talking about like once every few months at the most.
Have you had your eyes examined recently? I have a feeling your cornea is not in great shape. Unless you are superman.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
dude that's gross lol
Old 12-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

I dont wear mine every day, and for the past couple years was using monthlys…and I would use each month for at least 2 (again, not regularly). I would just use basic opti free cleaner, it is the no touch stuff. But I hated putting them in after I opened each package and used them once, so I switched to dailies. A 90 supply lasts me a year.
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 AM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvu View Post
30 days means you can wear it for 30 days, then it should be thrown out and use a new pair.

Bi weekly and monthly contacts just means that you can wear the pair for longer without it having a lot of protein deposits, which is bad for your eyes and can lead to an eye infection.

If you wear a pair for too long, then it'll feel dry even when you just put them on. They can also have a lot of strain on your eye when they start moving around cause of the lack of moisture. Wearing a pair of contacts for longer than you should isn't a bad thing as long as it's not too long, but it should be thrown out when expired, most people i know are guilty of that. Let your calender tell you when to throw them out, not your eyes.

Thats not what my eye doctor said.
30 day contacts are only good for 30 calendar upon opening them from their pack.
but then again I wash and take good care of my contacts and I use 1 pair of monthly contacts for 2 months!
TynMan is offline   Reply With Quote