REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Best Local place for winter tires for Z4

My uncle has a 09 Z4 and the dealer wants $4500+ for winters given he has run flats and tire pressure sensors. Not sure what they are smoking bu my 07 328 has run flats and pressure sensors and I spent about a grand on rims and tires.

Can someone suggest to me the best local shop that will have his tires in stock?

They are front: 225/45R17 - rear: 255/40R17

I could also just buy off 1010tires.com but he'd probably prefer to buy locally.
Advertisement
DannyITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
TireTrends.

Or Advance which is one of the sponsors.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
just to tell ya, the tpms sensors are usually about 70-100+ each. they are not cheap and thats probably whats pushing the price from the dealer.

a set of oem alloy wheels from bmw arent cheap either.

just trying to break down the total cost for ya. and run flats are not cheap, nor easy to work on! mounting them take a lot more grunt to get them on and off!

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
just to tell ya, the tpms sensors are usually about 70-100+ each. they are not cheap and thats probably whats pushing the price from the dealer.

a set of oem alloy wheels from bmw arent cheap either.

just trying to break down the total cost for ya. and run flats are not cheap, nor easy to work on! mounting them take a lot more grunt to get them on and off!
The guy at the dealer apparently said only run flats can be installed on the 18s from the M package so I suppose the winter run flats are close to 1K each plus the TPM + tx and your close to $5K. I guess he was unwilling to suggest steel rims with non run flats would cost less than $1K since they probably don't sell them.
DannyITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #5

17" is the largest car steelies you can fine.

18" are for trucks and they will rub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyITR View Post
The guy at the dealer apparently said only run flats can be installed on the 18s from the M package so I suppose the winter run flats are close to 1K each plus the TPM + tx and your close to $5K. I guess he was unwilling to suggest steel rims with non run flats would cost less than $1K since they probably don't sell them.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Tires 1010 is local!!
They are on Bridgeport in Richmond.

1010tires.com Inc.
12291 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, British Columbia
Canada
V6V 1J4
Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #7
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
the issue is that not every car can run steel rims.

for example, a subaru STI. there are no steelies out there that will ever be able to clear the calipers on the beast of a car.

You posted a staggered set up on the tires. the tech probably suggested run flats because i dont think ur Z4 has a spare tire. as to if its manditory to get run flats actually, this one i dont know. reason being is i dont know exactly how the oem rims look, and the actual placement of the tpms sensor. if u go with a traditional tire, and u happen to have a blow out, will the side walls be strong enough to hold up just enough weight of the car so that you dont drive, roll over, run over, the tpms sensor on the inside. how the tpms sense is mounted is screwed onto the valve stem, but the sensor itself is roughly about 2 toonies big side by side, and about id say easily 7-10cm thick. its suppose to sit roughly flush to the drum of the wheel. but if u have a tire blow out w/ conventional tires, u might run the chance of just destroying it as u roll to a stop. i really dont know about this one.

and tpms arent cheap. the total quoted price probably includes the programming of a 2nd set of tpms (ur winters). and thus being from the dealership, u have no choice but to have them done there.

i suggest to shop around for pricing of the same tire. the price different might be justified enough by piece of mind and handling of all warranty issues at 1 place.

good luck, dont drag it along too long, im pretty sure everyone on here can tell you that it feels like a bad winter is gonna be upon us this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyITR View Post

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #8

They and volco are part of the same group.

I rather use Tiretrends.

To the OP you can always forgo the TPMS and just let the light on for the winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigot52 View Post
Tires 1010 is local!!

1010tires.com Inc.
12291 Bridgeport Road
Canada
V6V 1J4
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

bmw's tpms sensors are incorporated into the abs system so there are no extra parts to buy when changing to winters. 1010tires is the web order division of volco tires. prices are the same as of august 1/09 and you won't need to have them shipped.
yiujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

Just go buy some cheapass knockoff rims and mount some winters on them. check Craigslist for curbed and rashed up motegis or like some fake replica rims, usually you can get them for like 400bux for all 4
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigot52 View Post
Tires 1010 is local!!

1010tires.com Inc.
12291 Bridgeport Road
Canada
V6V 1J4