REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Yet Another "Help Me Decide" Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/598005-yet-another-help-me-decide-thread.html)

aznkev03 11-29-2009 02:32 AM

Yet Another "Help Me Decide" Thread

So some of you might remember the thread I had about looking for a WRX.
Well those dreams are now out of the question.
Now I am stuck between a real dilemma

I've got about 25 - 26k (TAXES IN) to spend on a BRAND NEW car, it MUST be brand new.

I've got it down to a Civic LX, a Mits Lancer SE, and maybe Subie Impreza

I like the idea of having AWD on a small car but the Impreza is really cheap on the inside and the sedan looks somewhat like a domestic vehicle

The Civic is of course an all arounder but it really is all around the place everywhere you go

The lancer is quite a good choice and the dealer may be able to work out a good price on an 09 model Ralliart BUT it can't come with a clutch!!!

Some other cars I've already considered and ruled out include a Corolla, Mazda 3, and Sentra

Starting today though, the Korean cars caught my attention
I have just discovered that I can get a Genesis for 26k taxes in as well
and the Kia Forte isn't too shabby lookin either

How are the Korean cars nowadays?
Are they as reliable as Japanese cars yet?

Any other thoughts/cars I should consider?
Sorry for the long read, tips appreciated!

Leopold Stotch 11-29-2009 02:46 AM

i'd get the Genesis.

if not you can prob get a Lancer GTS for 26k.
my sister got a lancer GTS with leather and sound for 29k taxes in. that leather and sound is about 3 grand or so.

aznkev03 11-29-2009 02:48 AM

yeah those are pretty much the two I'm stuck between now
the genesis is new to me so I'm still doing a bit of research
only thing that worries me is the RWD in such a powerful car in the snow lol
everything else looks amazingly promising...

by the way, the gts isn't AWD is it?

Leopold Stotch 11-29-2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznkev03 (Post 6705083)
yeah those are pretty much the two I'm stuck between now
the genesis is new to me so I'm still doing a bit of research
only thing that worries me is the RWD in such a powerful car in the snow lol
everything else looks amazingly promising...

by the way, the gts isn't AWD is it?

nah the GTS is FWD,

and for 26k i'm guessing you'll be getting the 2.0 turbo for stock. in the snow you'll be fine. just get snow tires and know your limit.

RabidRat 11-29-2009 03:13 AM

I would personally go for the Ralliart. Yeah it's not a manual but it's sequential. Does a sequential box make a Ferrari F430 any less fun to drive? Does a sequential make a rally car any less of a race car? Being AWD and a lot more performance driven than any other car on your list by far, I say it's worth the dual clutch box. imo.

fishing666 11-29-2009 03:19 AM

kia forte 2010

Starting MSRP $17,150

-Engine 2.0L, DOHC, in-line 4-cylinder engine with continuously variable valve timing (CVVT)
-Horsepower 156 hp @ 6,200 rpm
-Torque 144 lb.-ft. @ 4,300 rpm
-Transmission 5-speed manual
-Major Features Dual front airbags
-Dual side airbags
-Dual full-length curtain airbags
-4-wheel disc brakes
-Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
-15" steel wheels with full covers
-Power door locks
-Power windows
-Heated power side mirrors
-4-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo
-Ipod®-ready AUX and USB ports
-Bluetooth® hands-free cell phone connectivity1
-Steering wheel-mounted audio controls

!Tigger 11-29-2009 04:15 AM

+1 for the genesis.. buddy has the 2.0gt and its fun to drive. onnly thing i didnt like was the drive by wire really. but all new cars have it

Wykydtron 11-29-2009 09:39 AM

Kia Forte gets my vote. You can get the Koup sx (full fucking load with 2.4L) for just under $24K out the door. But on the downside, is that yes, the interior is insanley plasticy, but what car in this price range isn't going to have a somewhat cheapish interior, especially when Kia is stuffing it full of all the extra goodies like Bluetooth etc etc.

cctw 11-29-2009 09:51 AM

how can you get a 09 Mitsu Ralliart for $26k taxes in?...base models run $33K + taxes which would be almost $37k..thats like taking more than 10k off

danizer 11-29-2009 09:52 AM

Ralliart is a little out of your price range...around 10K above
personally i would stick to an impreza and learn to deal with the shitty interior
its well worth it!

Lomac 11-29-2009 10:27 AM

What about the City Golf? For a fully loaded '10, it comes to under $22,000. They're extremely reliable and very well built. You can also pick up lower trimmed models of the '09 Rabbit and Jetta if you're willing to forgo buying a fully loaded model.

There's also the Suzuki SX4 and Nissan Versa.

ALEX1988 11-29-2009 10:49 AM

dude, you cannot get a lancer raliart for 26k, it is probably a lancer GTS or like you said a SE, the GTS comes with 2.4 engine and SE is 2.0, both of them are FWD. The raliart is 2.0T, AWD, however, it will cost you around 36k...
If I were you, I will go with the genesis. They always caught my eyes when I see them on the street.
How about a 09 Civic Si?

hirevtuner 11-29-2009 11:26 AM

well depends if you are getting 2dr or 4dr
for 2dr, would consider a genesis (fun to drive) or civic (practical and reliable)
for 4dr, would be impreza cuz AWD

danizer 11-29-2009 11:52 AM

im thinkin op wants a car that can be driven year round ie. daily driver haha
i highly recommend VW if you are willing to go away from your choices :P
light to moderate snow is probably still good for the new golf

Mr.Jay 11-29-2009 12:16 PM

Genesis imo best car on your list

BMW135i 11-29-2009 12:19 PM

+1 for Genesis Coupe, go take a test drive. It's a fun car. Your second choice will be Lancer.

civic_rice 11-29-2009 12:27 PM

i would go for impreza. coming from a civic honda fan boy, the new civics are great cars, but something about them drives me insane. the mitsubishi isnt that great of a car imo, just seems to tame to be a car i would choose. the subaru is a great car i would love one if i had the chance and it gets my vote

racerman88 11-29-2009 12:37 PM

the genesis is nice

ilvtofu 11-29-2009 12:52 PM

Have you considered the astra, they have significant discounts right now 7k minimum off msrp which is significant in this price range or any for that matter.
Although I'm guessing you only want japanese brands

I'd also recommend the new golf, its a lot more refined than the mkv and way more fun to drive than the civic and the subaru (and even the astra) which i tested before getting the astra. They've also "supposedly" worked out a lot of the kinks that were in the previous gen.

Also, I don't know why you're only looking at new cars, you can save thousands by buying a practically new car say 1 or 2 years old.

Also the civic seems to have a good amount of discount and if you eke out an extra 2 or 3 grand I think you can get a new Si.

FS1992EG 11-29-2009 01:00 PM

why does it have to be new? New cars are over rated.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...484972110.html
This would be sick haggle with them, that is the good thing about a used car, prices are negotiable.

vexor 11-29-2009 01:12 PM

Sorry but the Genesis is also out of the question unless you're willing to spend another $3000 because the Base Gen coupe is just over $29,000 with taxes included

triplexcel 11-29-2009 03:39 PM

i started with out with an 08 civic dx-g. it was a great car to get around with and it was very affordable but when i test drove a WRX and it was something else. i must admit, i do love the interior of the civic but the power is just lacking (unless you decide to turbo!). keep in mind, the majority of people on RS love modding cars so their suggestions may include the fact if the car is modify-friendly (easy to find parts/cheap/etc.) i like the looks of the mazda 3 as well, but the civic is the cheapest of all.

quick question: why a brand spanking new car?

ps. i bought a new car because i had no other choice, parents didn't want me to buy a used one. but 2 years after i got rid of it and bought a used car :) you save so much more money when buying used.

fishing666 11-29-2009 03:48 PM

new cars are fun but if you aren't getting the car you want with the options you're given, just go for a reliable and inexpensive beater. and you're looking at 26k after taxes which limits your choices to something 15-18k base price model. add a few features such as a/c, navi, or leather seats and you are looking at about +5k. Insurance is probably going to cost $3000/yr if you are a new driver.

anyways, with $26k you are looking at base model msrp of about 15k.

d1 11-29-2009 03:52 PM

Definitely the genesis if you can get it within your budget.

Leopold Stotch 11-29-2009 04:41 PM

yea dont' think you can get the genesis with your budget

when my sister was in this budget this is what we looked at

Lancer GT
Civic SI
Sentra SER Vspec (very well priced imo)
Mazda3
Impreza,

i'm actually susprised she ended up getting the Lancer GTS, as opposed to the civic si.