REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #26
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
240 sedan?

is that like a M5 coupe?
wat
Advertisement
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Its a 91? Most locking mechanisms as they age lose their precision.

In university, I could start my 90 Camry and my roommates 87 Civic with any key, ie my house key.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #28
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

i have a tow truck. no car is safe from me.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,551 Times in 845 Posts
lol fuck i better get an alarm system

Last edited by Qmx323; 12-02-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: dont wanna give anyone ideas :-)
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #30
RS Licensed Vendor

Most older Japanese cars are very easy to steal.

Hence why it's mandatory for manufacturers to have immobilizers included with the new cars.

Even with a regular alarm it is still relatively easy to steal. It might take a thief 10 seconds longer with a shitty alarm installed. Even a $1000+ alarm installed poorly can be bypassed in a matter of seconds if you know what you're doing.

I used to have a long post on RS on how to better secure your car. I think it's gone now though.

There's no way to 100% guarantee your car won't get stolen. All you can do is make it a pain in the ass for a thief to steal.

Here's a couple pointers:

1. When getting an alarm installed make sure you spend a little more money to relocate the alarm brain in another location. I'd say 95+% of alarms get installed under the steering column area of the vehicle. So thieves can safely assume your alarm brain is there and bypass whatever immobilizer you have

2. Get your valet switch for your alarm hidden somewhere out of the norm. Again most valet switches are in the driver kick panel area.

3. Get a battery backup system or siren hidden somewhere the thief cannot just rip out (inside the fender, dash, etc)

4. Ask the installer to conceal the alarm wiring in loom or electrical tape. So all wiring blends in with the factory wiring.

5. Put a proper immobilizer in, most alarms have "closed circuit" immobilizers. Meaning once the alarm loses power the immobilizer is no longer immobilizing.

6. Make sure to get a hood pin installed with your alarm. Most thieves target the hood first to disconnect the battery so your alarm won't go off when they break in. Hood pin saved my car from being broken in once, I parked in my driveway and my alarm went off in the middle of the night so I ran outside to find my hood popped open. If I didn't have that I wouldn't have known people were trying to get at my car in my driveway.

7. The louder the alarm is the better, a good properly installed alarm will not false often. Thieves don't like the added attention, so the louder the car is, the more attention it will attract. I had my old alarm hooked up with the normal siren + back up siren + horn honk. You can get additional sirens nicnamed "ear piercers" which are high pitched sirens. Awesome for sticking under a dash + engine bay so the noise will give them a headache.

8. EXTRA Insurance. Normal coverage only covers $1000 for interior goods (stereo, seats, accessories) and $5000 for exterior (rims, kit, performance parts). Parts must have receipts and be screwed or bolted down. Loose things sitting around are not insured. If you have a sound system installed and the sub box is not bolted down to the chasis of the car you will not be covered at all.

I could go on forever. There's alot more you can do.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 12-04-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #31
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
its depressing to know that your own car is easy to steal. *facepalm*

stupid integra.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I know who stole it...

kspec
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #33
RS Peace Officer

Any older car doesn't have nearly the amount of security features that the new cars have and is easier to steal.

Protect your own vehicle by getting a club, locking the doors, don't leave any valuables in or visible in the vehicle, getting an alarm/immobilizer, etc.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: