REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Title of thread: Is ICBC allowed to do this?

Response: ICBC can do whatever the fuck they want
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

why dont u get ur friend to check if the items are missing in the first place.. all this hype for nothing..
was he hiding POT in his car that he is afraid off?
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

frnd should check first
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucki View Post
So a friend of mine got into an accident a couple days ago, and it was a slight hit on the passenger front fender where it got pushed in to the point of touching the tires. It happened in the downtown area and was first towed by Drake's towing services to their yard because it all happened late on a Saturday night. After dealing with ICBC, we have agreed for it to be towed to an ICBC claims center to inspect the damage.

**THE KEY HERE IS THAT HE HAD AGREED TO GIVE CONSENT FOR HAVING IT TOWED THERE, AND NOTHING ELSE.**

Today, he got a call informing him that the car is declared a total lost because the labor for fixing it costs more than the value of the vehicle itself. (Seriously, the hit is not bad at all, but the value of the car is just not very high at this point). What pissed him off was the following sentence "We gathered all your belongings in bags for you, so you can pick them up when you view the car." That wasn't right, he never asked them to do it, and he was never told that people will be "gathering" items from the vehicle. At this point, he is getting worried some of the belongings might "mysteriously" go missing and there is no proof for saying it was there in the first place. How can they just go and take stuff without asking? Isn't that technically stealing? Aren't they violating some sort of laws here?

Is there something he can do about this? I mean, there were no consent given at any point in having anyone enter the vehicle and touch his stuff. Is there some sort of complaint that he can do?

**ICBC haters, show me your stuff.
Honestly, even if they weren't allowed to gather belongings from the car, it's not like your friend is going to get a lawyer and file a lawsuit.

Also, even if your friend going to sue icbc for some missing belonging, what will your friend try to propose in court? unless he has something expensive in the car, i don't think it'll be worth the money to file a lawsuit for this.

And finally, unless there were confidential documents in the vehicle, suing isn't the right approach.

If ICBC declares that an accident of a vehicle is total loss, than it's total loss. Don't get me wrong, i hate icbc as much as most BC residents do, but they are the monopoly in BC, whatever they say goes. If your friend don't want a written off title on his vehicle, he's gonna have to repair it himself.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

This happened to me when I got into an accident but my car was a ride off 100% (camry driver side + civic front end + tree = death) they towed my car and I was told my stuff was put into a bag as well but I had a few things missing. Couldnt claim any of them due to proof plus Im pretty sure the guy at the yard was the one that robbed me
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #31
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznlangjai View Post
If ICBC declares that an accident of a vehicle is total loss, than it's total loss. Don't get me wrong, i hate icbc as much as most BC residents do, but they are the monopoly in BC, whatever they say goes. If your friend don't want a written off title on his vehicle, he's gonna have to repair it himself.
The OP doesn't mention if the friend was at fault or if someone hit them,so there is also the option to settle outside ICBC if someone else damaged the car.It has been discussed over and over that if you get into an accident and the other person wants to settle outside ICBC ,it's best to go through ICBC anyway.I'm assuming the OPs friend gave permission to settle or ICBC would not have jumped to that end,it may be that the friend never mentioned that to the OP though.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

you guys all got it, some guy at icbc with a family and a mortgage that makes 80K a year plus is going to ripoff your squash air freshener for something to do

ICBC isnt a monopoly, collision insurance can be handled be a third party, for alot more money in most cases, so quit your bitching or vote with your wallet
jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #33
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
always take all your shit before anyone touches your car. is that so hard to understand?

i even do that when i bring the car in for service.
Posted via RS Mobile

+1

I can remember a few years ago stripping a car on site of the accident to the point of taking the sub, amp, momo steering wheel, and shift knob.
If you have the means to take it, always take anything thats not bolted down, and anything you have the tools to unbolt!

00 em1 - I/H/E, act hdss, koni coilover's, 17' konig helium's ... DD
97 ek - b16 swaped sleeper ... parted RIP
90 ef - I/E, rota slips, 140db stereo ... sold & missed
91 ef - sold
00EM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 PM   #34
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00EM1 View Post
+1

I can remember a few years ago stripping a car on site of the accident to the point of taking the sub, amp, momo steering wheel, and shift knob.
If you have the means to take it, always take anything thats not bolted down, and anything you have the tools to unbolt!

Yeah,but was it your car
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #35
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

lol
i love these threads...just hilarious
FYI...stuff missing...its not ICBC...its the tow yard.
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD
84' Pontiac Sunbird Coupe (J2000) - SOLD
Kalize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #36
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalize View Post
lol
i love these threads...just hilarious
FYI...stuff missing...its not ICBC...its the tow yard.
Yup its the tow yards that take everything reason being is they usually dont get any grief over it. Your car was towed to a compound, then to ICBC then maybe to a bodyshop. Tracking down who took the stuff is impossible and its usually the first guy to take everything because they know they dont have to deal with an irriate person over stolen stuff.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #37
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Same thing happend to me years ago.. car was delcared a write off.. icbc put all my stuff in a bag. before i signed the release form. I never got a chance to see my car again.

They said I would have to pay a 150$ fee to get access to the yard to get anymore stuff off my car.

I had a turbo timer/boost controller in the car, they are clipped onto a harness. They unclipped it and put those in a bag, but I wanted to get my harness back and the actual boost controller solenoid under the hood. But it wasn't worth the 150$ so I didn't do it.
Prostrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #38
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
ICBC has auctioned off peoples cars before they signed the release form, and these people said they wanted to buy it back instead, this is after someone else has already bought and paid for their salvaged car. Go ICBC!
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote