REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #26
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
Leopold Stotch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,044
Thanked 315 Times in 149 Posts
Good choice on the supra, i'd love a supra haha
Advertisement
__________________
1996 Honda Accord
1995 Nissan 240sx
2004 Infiniti G35
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #27
Need to Seek Professional Help
 
RE-Jo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,043
Thanked 108 Times in 39 Posts
Please take the Supra~ 90's japanese sport cars IMO are better than recent sport cars
__________________
FD coming back online~
RE-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #28
RabidMod
 
RabidRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 5,677
Thanked 568 Times in 200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Well since i own a supra and a g35 let me share some of my experiences, first that supra is a bit on the cheap side i paid 28500 for mine 94tt 6speed(50k miles) but i guess due to recession but still do the inspection check everything(specially the tranny)
As for the g35 its a bit pricey check local craigs list sure there are better deals

The biggest problem with these cars is the price your going to pay am not sure if your aware of the duty/tax deal so add 18% tax on the price, and the currency conversion.

As for the driving experience trust me none of those cars will compare to a supra, its easy to upgrade from stock 11psi to 16psi and that will give you enough power to make you smile ever day however dont expect to drive that car in snow and very slowly in rain. With mine the drive is very sporty, rough, but fun.
The g35 is more of a luxury sports car not as much power or attention, or thrill. Parts are cheaper and easier to maintain. Drive the 3 cars and decide what you like more, no one can really tell you what to buy it comes to personal choice.
How's the handling with the Supra, compared to some other cars you might have driven?
__________________
03 S2K | 07 R6
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:10 PM   #29
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: BC
Posts: 21
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Well since i own a supra and a g35 let me share some of my experiences, first that supra is a bit on the cheap side i paid 28500 for mine 94tt 6speed(50k miles) but i guess due to recession but still do the inspection check everything(specially the tranny)
As for the g35 its a bit pricey check local craigs list sure there are better deals

The biggest problem with these cars is the price your going to pay am not sure if your aware of the duty/tax deal so add 18% tax on the price, and the currency conversion.

As for the driving experience trust me none of those cars will compare to a supra, its easy to upgrade from stock 11psi to 16psi and that will give you enough power to make you smile ever day however dont expect to drive that car in snow and very slowly in rain. With mine the drive is very sporty, rough, but fun.
The g35 is more of a luxury sports car not as much power or attention, or thrill. Parts are cheaper and easier to maintain. Drive the 3 cars and decide what you like more, no one can really tell you what to buy it comes to personal choice.
I've already driven all three cars, obviously G35 will give you most class but that doesn't amuse me. I went with the supra 1st for the price, I'll probably send up paying around $25k with border taxes... car still has the looks for a 15yo design and when i drove one before I was surprised by the power it has stock. I'll be flying out to Bellevue, WA to drive it home soon.

thanks for the right up.
willsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,030
Thanked 5,114 Times in 1,528 Posts
^ pics when you get!
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
Banned (BBM)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,146
Thanked 627 Times in 368 Posts
supras are ganster


all 3 may have similar power rating

except the 2jz powerplant is a lot quicker than the z and the G
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #32
Banned (BBM)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,146
Thanked 627 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
pretty much every single high performance Toyota cars' engines were built by Yamaha.

LFA, Supra, ISF, Chaser, Mark II, Celica, Soarer, MR2, etc...
So much for TRD than



Toyota Racing Development my ass


should be YRD than
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #33
They let me be a moderator. LOL
 
SpuGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,129
Thanked 3,423 Times in 830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
pretty much every single high performance Toyota cars' engines were built by Yamaha.

LFA, Supra, ISF, Chaser, Mark II, Celica, Soarer, MR2, etc...
Stop posting the wrong information.
Yamaha HELPED. They did not BUILD.

1JZ's head was designed by Yamaha. They didn't touch the 2JZ.
The only Yamaha connection to Toyota is the Head Design on certain motors. They did not build the engine for Toyota.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #34
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 17,966
Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,656 Posts
youre picking a 15 year old high end sportscar for your daily driver and you're on a 'budget' over a 4-5 year old car that has a back seat (G35) and wont cost a fortune to maintain? especially when performance wasnt on the list of things that were important

get your priorities straightened out. the supra wont be practical
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #35
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 533
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
youre picking a 15 year old high end sportscar for your daily driver and you're on a 'budget' over a 4-5 year old car that has a back seat (G35) and wont cost a fortune to maintain? especially when performance wasnt on the list of things that were important

get your priorities straightened out. the supra wont be practical
Get your facts straight. A supra has back seats and does not cost alot to maintain when slightly modded. Any car will cost alot to maintain when you put alot of mods into it. Good choice on the supra over the other cars you had in mind.
InteGSR-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-08-2009, 01:41 AM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Timpo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 20,379
Thanked 4,549 Times in 1,368 Posts
Supra with widebody kit



Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #37
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Van Isle
Posts: 7,653
Thanked 443 Times in 188 Posts
10 year older car will undoubtedly be more expensive to maintain and less reliable. The Supra is rare and the kind of toy that you may not want to DD and put KM on, or drive through salt in the winter.

Supra is the worst choice on the list, but is the coolest one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
who would ban me? lol. Look at my post count.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #38
what manner of phaggotry is this
 
RRxtar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Kelownafornia
Posts: 17,966
Thanked 4,928 Times in 1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InteGSR-99 View Post
Get your facts straight. A supra has back seats and does not cost alot to maintain when slightly modded. Any car will cost alot to maintain when you put alot of mods into it. Good choice on the supra over the other cars you had in mind.
a back seat where the backs of the front seat touch the front of the back seat, is not a back seat.


it is definitely a way cooler car, but you're going to sit there and try to believe that a 15 year old supra, is MORE PRACTICAL AS A DAILY DRIVER than a G35? a supra is a 2nd or 3rd car that sits in the garage and gets driven 5-10k a year in the sun. not thru snow and salt and rain and shitstorms to the grocery store.
__________________
STRENGTHaesthetics
RRxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
 
NeoDestinyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C
Posts: 153
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
a back seat where the backs of the front seat touch the front of the back seat, is not a back seat.


it is definitely a way cooler car, but you're going to sit there and try to believe that a 15 year old supra, is MORE PRACTICAL AS A DAILY DRIVER than a G35? a supra is a 2nd or 3rd car that sits in the garage and gets driven 5-10k a year in the sun. not thru snow and salt and rain and shitstorms to the grocery store.
This guy knows his stuff trust me, certainly not a DD and parts are rare to find and they don't come cheap. If you DD it ,the gas mileage will consume your wallet. You're looking to spend $500-700 a month just on gas, if you're still a young driver the insurance will be costly too. Maintenance is somewhat a bit above average cost certainly, I don't have much room for backseats but I do have room for cargo spaces.

The only flaw I see in this thread is... why would this friend of yours sell a white 95 TT 6-speed Supra with 34k miles only for 19,5k? If its a clean title he can definitely sell that double the value you claim he said, which is around 40k...unless there is a major problem that he's willing to part the car out for it.
__________________
Serial Entrepreneur, Venture Capitalist for Private Equities, Software Business, Joint Ventures, Businessman.
NeoDestinyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #40
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 533
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
a back seat where the backs of the front seat touch the front of the back seat, is not a back seat.


it is definitely a way cooler car, but you're going to sit there and try to believe that a 15 year old supra, is MORE PRACTICAL AS A DAILY DRIVER than a G35? a supra is a 2nd or 3rd car that sits in the garage and gets driven 5-10k a year in the sun. not thru snow and salt and rain and shitstorms to the grocery store.
I've put 3-4 people before, yes its tight, but the seats are there if you really have to drive that many people. If you keep the supra BPU, you shouldn't run into any major problems.

As far as gas mileage, I've got 400kms per tank easily with a BPU supra.

Again, i would choose the supra over any of the cars he mentioned, daily driver or not.
InteGSR-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #41
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN
 
!SG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,459
Thanked 2,177 Times in 614 Posts
all cars are good choice, but for being rare, id go for the supra. love the car.

haha, plus knowing it uses some regular maintenance parts as my highlander, and my GS, means no need to stock a mix of parts and fluids at home


mmm Supra!
__________________
"It Takes a Big Man to Admit to His Own Faults... But It Takes a Bigger Man to Blame it on The Other F*cker!"
(Resident Asshole) Executive...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
REV Competition | JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Drive Hard Performance | the Blackmarkers Clothing | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #42
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: .
Posts: 103
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
supra as a daily driver is gonna cost you 75+/tank to fill up, you'll get 300 = 350kms/tank.

definately not a practical daily driver, and if you're inexperienced with RWD cars you're gonna kill yourself in rainy/icy conditions.

i only put 1100 kms on the supra this year, if i had to choose between your choices, the fact that you want a DD as the basis for my decision, id go with the G.

just thought id throw my 2psi in there.
Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:23 AM   #43
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 82 Times in 31 Posts
The 350z and G will also cost you around 70 to fill up and you'll only get 350-400 kms/tank. I'd go with the Supra for the mere fact that you'll always be able to find a G or a 350z for that price but finding such a low km supra for that price is damn near impossible unless it's jdm.
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #44
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
hk20000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 8,637
Thanked 1,356 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
definately not a practical daily driver, and if you're inexperienced with RWD cars you're gonna kill yourself in rainy/icy conditions.
hmmmm I suppose the G and the 350Z aren't RWD.

If you keep the TRC on in the Supra it's gonna be faaaaine.

I would think there's actually less likely of a breakdown on a BPU supra than a 5 year old nissan.

I stand behind Toyota that much.
__________________
⇐ If I bothered replying, that's the face I made while I typed.

hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #45
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: .
Posts: 103
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
AHAHAHA, i totally forgot the other 2 were rwd... sorry it was late and i was tired... dumb error on my part!
Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #46
They let me be a moderator. LOL
 
SpuGen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,129
Thanked 3,423 Times in 830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post

If you keep the TRC on in the Supra it's gonna be faaaaine.

I stand behind Toyota that much.
I killed the traction control on my SC4.
Don't ask how, but it was really easy. TRAC light is permanently on now
No it was not on purpose becausenif it were it would've been off and I wouldn't have this problem.
Posted via RS Mobile
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net