REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #351
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Suggestions for an older road bike build for around $300 budget?
Advertisement
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #352
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00laid View Post
I ended up pickin up a shimano PD-A530 with the dual side, because I wanna take my time get use to commuting and the bike and later possibly upgrade to road shoes etc. Do you guys use SPD or SPD-SL more? Pros/cons personal experience?
That is a good idea if you just want to jump on your bike and ride, without having to wear your 'riding' shoes all the time. I use those on my hybrid for that reason, sometimes you just want to ride to the store without having to change shoes.
As for SPD or SPD-SL, I use SPD, even on my road bikes, because that's what I have on my mountain bikes, and I like the idea of having one or two pairs of shoes that can 'do it all'.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Suggestions for an older road bike build for around $300 budget?
Craigslist/Auctions.
But good luck, hard to find a decent road bike nowadays on Craigslist for that price, especially during the summer.
I'll sell you a project road bike for less, a green Sekine, Made In Canada!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #354
I subscribe to Revscene

just be careful of "vintage" bikes on craigslist...a 20 year old bike is still a 20 year old bike

@woob - thanks for the heads up about the jerseys lol probably going to do that since the forecast looks like it's going to be crap
getting stoked for the ride, we should meet up at the beer garden (assuming there is one)

Last edited by dat_steve; 06-11-2012 at 12:33 PM.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #355
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I ride SPD's on my mountain bike, and see no reason to move to SPD-SL for road bike and have to get another pair of shoes.

My build is underway, picked up a Rocky Mountain Solo AC frame with carbon rear triangle, hoping the 54cm will fit ok for my 5'8" ~33" inseam. Parts should be here from CRC this week or next, and wheels will be here at the end of June. I'll just use my MTB saddle in the mean time while I figure out what a good road saddle is.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #356
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Has anyone here ordered wheels from CUSTOM HAND BUILT BICYCLE WHEELS Built By Professionals - Prowheelbuider.com
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #357
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

anyone have leads on a commuter bike? or have one to sell? $500 is what I'm looking for..
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #358
I STILL don't get it

looks like a 2011 jamis ventura sport, pretty good deal depending on the condition which it doesnt say

JAMIS VENTURA SPORT
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #359
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
anyone have leads on a commuter bike? or have one to sell? $500 is what I'm looking for..
post your height and inseam - lots of tall man bikes on CL now
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #360
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV View Post
Are you set on getting custom wheels? If so, I can ask my co-worker. He got some custom wheels locally and he used to be a Cat 2 racer.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #361

Quote:
I have a couple of older mountain bikes I'm looking to sell. Strong, sturdy, throw some slicks on it and it will make a solid commuter.
But what exactly did you have in mind?
Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #362
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
For those of you who do NOT have to be up at 5:00am to make it to RTCC on Saturday morning, CHECK OUT THE BIKE RAVE!! It's on Friday night from 9pm onward. It is a group/fun/party ride with MUSIC! Download the music track (links on the website) onto your mp3 player, deck yourself and your bike out in glowy shit and just jam out with a bunch of other cyclists!

Deets: Velopalooza | The Bike Rave!

Fuck I just heard about this today and I wish I could attend. It's like a Decentralized Dance Party on WHEELS.

@pK-diu- Yeah dude! Apparently we each get 2 free beers as a rider! We'll need to figure out a way to identify ourselves. If you see an Asian dude wearing a Team ICBC jersey on a red Cannondale, it's probably me.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Are you set on getting custom wheels? If so, I can ask my co-worker. He got some custom wheels locally and he used to be a Cat 2 racer.
Just seeing my options Mike. I'm trying to get the bike to be a climbing machine on a budget because of all the hills in my neighborhood.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #364
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post

Fuck I just heard about this today and I wish I could attend. It's like a Decentralized Dance Party on WHEELS.

@pK-diu- Yeah dude! Apparently we each get 2 free beers as a rider! We'll need to figure out a way to identify ourselves. If you see an Asian dude wearing a Team ICBC jersey on a red Cannondale, it's probably me.
god damn that sounds ridiculously epic?!

i'll just roll through the hoard yelling "WOOOOOB!" i guess i wont have any distinct articles of clothing. i'll do my best to catch you before i get sauced. i seriously don't know how they expect me to do the second stretch hungover...provide a closet hipster with beer access? recipe for success.

@prelude - i was once dropped hard on a hill by a dude riding a hybrid pulling his daughter in a trailer. since then i've realized the best upgrade for climbing are leg muscles!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #365
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV View Post
Just seeing my options Mike. I'm trying to get the bike to be a climbing machine on a budget because of all the hills in my neighborhood.
I've found that the best way to destroy hills is to keep on riding them and to build up those muscles.

I've been doing time attacks on the hills in my neighbourhood. I'll ride them up and down for an hour or until I get muscle cramps. They aren't a problem anymore.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #366

Ah yes. My leg muscles do get a crazy workout when going up them. I must be crazy somedays cuz I ride after a 13 hour workday. Lol

My bike is a triple and I have been only using the two rings and on some hills I stay in the big ring to build up the muscles. The mod bug has bitten me because I ordered a new saddle and seatpost over the weekend.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #367
RS Veteran

^
Okay I have to admit.

I cheat. I use CytoMax to beat the lactic acid burn.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #368

If you're doing repeats now, you'll be a beast in a few months. Most people I've ridden with lack speed in the hills.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #369

lols Craigslist Missed Connections:

Ride safe and stay out of the door zone, homies.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #370
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

holy crap that looks painful

if that were to happen, would icbc cover all the damages to your bike and whatever else, and all liabilities are on the car owners?

Last edited by k00laid; 06-13-2012 at 01:01 PM.
k00laid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #371
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
post your height and inseam - lots of tall man bikes on CL now
A lot of bikes are so big, 19"-20" frames!

5'5 ~ 29X30

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
I have a couple of older mountain bikes I'm looking to sell. Strong, sturdy, throw some slicks on it and it will make a solid commuter.
But what exactly did you have in mind?
I went to the Bike Doctor on Broadway and looked at some bikes, those Devinci ones look nice.. there was also a Norco, but it was a fixie. I'm terrified to ride a fixie at this point, but I think eventually I will want to own one. For now, I want a hybrid / commuter, something to get me around town, to my fields to play ultimate, and eventually bike daily to school from Van to New West.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #372

Quote:
A lot of bikes are so big, 19"-20" frames!

5'5 ~ 29X30

I went to the Bike Doctor on Broadway and looked at some bikes, those Devinci ones look nice.. there was also a Norco, but it was a fixie. I'm terrified to ride a fixie at this point, but I think eventually I will want to own one. For now, I want a hybrid / commuter, something to get me around town, to my fields to play ultimate, and eventually bike daily to school from Van to New West.
Cool, I have a top-of-the-line Devinci Hybrid for sale on Craigslist right now. Search for Devinci Melbourne. I've rarely rode it, and never in the rain. Only used it for maybe 3 or 4 weeks, and it's been sitting storage ever since because I got other bikes to ride.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #373
I subscribe to Revscene

which routes/paths do you guys like to train with? ie. where do you do hill repeats, flat sprints, etc.

for me i like:
1) going up that strip of cambie between marine and 41st. it's not a super steep hill but i find the long-ish moderate climbs get me pretty good.
2) my buddies love doing repeats of the hill from UBC to jericho...i think they're suicidal lol i have yet to try that one
Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
My ride

hey were you out by iona today?
bd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
which routes/paths do you guys like to train with? ie. where do you do hill repeats, flat sprints, etc.

for me i like:
1) going up that strip of cambie between marine and 41st. it's not a super steep hill but i find the long-ish moderate climbs get me pretty good.
2) my buddies love doing repeats of the hill from UBC to jericho...i think they're suicidal lol i have yet to try that one
Are your buddies part of the Horny Goats cycling club? I see Horny Goats jerseys every time I've been up the Spanish Banks/UBC hill. It's not that big. Cambie from Marine to 41st is much much longer, but far less steep.

I do 1/2/3/4 intervals on the Iona stretch or on River Road between No. 6 Road and Westminster Hwy or in the Glenlyon business park in Burnaby. I don't do hill repeats, but if I did, I would do them on the hills that go up from Marine Dr: Elliot, Kerr, Patterson, Gilley, etc.

Aaaanyways, RTCC tomorrow yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuh. Time for beauty sleep. I really hope the weather doesn't crap out.