REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #451
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
anyone want to do a evening ride next week? Maybe start from Burnaby and bike to Vancouver or Richmond or something lol
I'm down if it's on Saturday or Sunday.
Advertisement
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #452
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Picked up the Ventura Race! Kind of disappointed it didn't come with any cheap-o pedals. I just picked up a set of the Shimano 105's for the time being and rode with my runners for the day. I would have liked to have done a little research on pedals first. Oh well.

Did a quick little 20km loop on my first ride. Feels good! Man, these things are so much more agile then my old MTB bikes. Took me a little less then an hour, riding in the City (Toronto) kind of sucks lol. I'm sure i'll find some good spots soon. So far I really enjoyed it!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #453
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
105 pedals will last you years before you need to upgrade. Especially since you're just starting out. Good choice.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #454
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
105 pedals will last you years before you need to upgrade. Especially since you're just starting out. Good choice.
Heads up! They are on sale at Amazon.com right now for like $50!!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #455

Got another bike to build! Giant TCR C1 Carbon. Bought it just as a frame set, just threw on the Mavic wheelset, Race Face Cadence seat post and handlebar, and a random Selle Italia saddle for the photo. Now, got to source a groupset! Thinking of going with SRAM this time.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #456
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If you want to finish up the Cadence groupset I bought the 53/39 crankset/bb from CRC for $75cdn
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #457
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Spoiler!

Baller

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #458

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
If you want to finish up the Cadence groupset I bought the 53/39 crankset/bb from CRC for $75cdn
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I might get it just so I have it (for another build), but for this build, I've got my mind set on something else.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #459
RS Veteran

Just ordered myself a 2011 Diamondback Podium 4! Ultegra gruppo!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 06-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #460
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Anyone have any input on cutting a carbon steertube? From what I understand the steertube on my new Ventura Race is carbon. I've done it plenty of times with a steel one, but carbon scares the shit out of me. Input? I want to get rid of the ridiculous spacers! Maybe I should get rid of the reflectors first
Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Heads up! They are on sale at Amazon.com right now for like $50!!
:/ . I'm not in the city right now and won't be back for a while, so I can't take advantage of it.

Any thoughts on what pedals to use for a commuter bike (20-25km max distance)? I'm thinking about buying another bicycle as my main transportation around Van. Flats aren't comfortable and my feet shift around a lot when I use them but road shoes are stupid to walk around in and I'm kinda wary of toe clips so I'm at a loss as to what my best option is.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #462
RS Veteran

^
Is there a particular bike you have in mind? I ask because I need to clear out my stable. I've got a Kona Hahanna for sale (was going to sell to RESN but rear deraileur decided to crap out but got it repaired after he bought his own bike) and thinking of selling my Scott SUB 30 hybrid.

I've got a set of Shimano SPD pedals and they seem ok for 20-25km'ish.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #463

I'm not really looking for a specific brand/model, but I do know I want another road bike and not a hybrid since I don't really have any comfort issues riding in a more aggressive road position and I like the extra hand positions that drops provide.

My Cannondale is just such a heatscore so I don't want to ride around and leave it locked up on the street.

As for pedals, my main gripe with SPD pedals are the fugly shoes that you have to wear with them. If I can find a decent looking shoe, i.e. one that wouldn't look out of place when you aren't wearing lycra, then that may work. Otherwise, I may just look for the grippiest, lowest-profile flats I can find.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:45 AM   #464
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Any thoughts on Kona road bikes? I'm considering the Zing as my first road bike.
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #465
I subscribe to Revscene

never ridden a kona but i hear they're great bikes for the price - if i was to pick up a dedicated commuter it'd probably be a kona.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #466
RS Veteran

I like Kona. Biased though because I have two but all in all, good, quality bikes with excellent attention to detail (their paint is awesome.) They're more well known for their mountain bikes which hold their resale. Their road bikes - not so much (not sure why.)

If you're interested in a similar setup for cheap(er), Kinetik Cycles in Burquitlam has a 2011 Scott Speedster S40 for $899, no tax. They also have a 2011 Scott Speedster S30 (105/Tiagra mix) for $1099, no tax.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 07-01-2012 at 11:54 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #467
I STILL don't get it

how many of you listen to music with your headphones while riding?

holy crap i think its so dangerous, but i see so many people doing it on the streets especially in richmond, also alot of people not wearing helmets. I can understand in your neighborhood riding but out on the big street?? not worth it to me
CL typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #468
RS Veteran

Far too dangerous. Never have and never will.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #469
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Picked up a Masi a few months ago and slowly started building it up as my first fixed. Currently just got some Truvativ cranks, YNOT straps, Rear Deep V, and a Spinergy Rev X up front. Looking to throw a brake on it soon as I'm trying to source out a lever I like. Pretty light for a steel frame and I love the way it rides.

JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #470

That is a really aggressive stem.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #471
I subscribe to Revscene

good night for a ride! tempted to go out but i lent out my lights and don't want to be without them when it's dark.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #472
RS Veteran

Just got home from another Iona Beach - Steveston Village ride (round trip.) This is my second ride on these Continental Ultra Sport tires. Not quite the same as my old Maxxis road training tires but for the price, it offers a nice, smooth ride.

LiquidTurbo - was that you today at around 5'ish @ Iona Beach? I saw somebody on a Specialized, exactly like the one you posted. I also saw StevenDuang on his Ducati and bumped into dachinesedude on his R6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scottsub30_steveston.jpg (108.0 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #473
I subscribe to Revscene

solid ride dukes - still debating if i should head out :P
Old 07-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Any thoughts on Kona road bikes? I'm considering the Zing as my first road bike.
Not a bad choice. I use to have a Kona Jake the Snake, and loved it. Regret selling it!
I just picked up another bike frame today, and it's a Kona (Kona Zing Supreme Dedacciai) Alum/Carbon frame, made in Italy! No pics yet, waiting for delivery to Pt. Roberts.
Guess the gruppos will have to wait now...need more $$$, as I have to get 2 sets now.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Anyone have any input on cutting a carbon steertube? From what I understand the steertube on my new Ventura Race is carbon. I've done it plenty of times with a steel one, but carbon scares the shit out of me. Input? I want to get rid of the ridiculous spacers! Maybe I should get rid of the reflectors first
Spin Doctor Tech Tip – Sizing and Cutting a Carbon Steerer Tube Fork « The Performance Bicycle Blog
Yes, get rid of reflectors asap! As for tube, you may or may not want to cut it. If you plan to upgrade or sell the tube in the future, it would be nice to have the extra length, will suit more buyers. How many spacers do you have? Personally, I don't think it looks too bad with 'some' spacers.