REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #626
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
I am between 5'6 and 5'7 and have been riding my buddy's 53cm for a bit and although it's a bit big on me, it's not exactly unmanageable. I have been looking at 51s or 52s if I was going to buy my own, I am surprised to see somebody who is 5'7 buy a 49? That seems awfully small...

Mark
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #627
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Regardless of what it says on 'paper', The bike fits, that's the important thing. On a 53 my nuts were on the crossbar
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #628
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
604CEFIRO is right.

What's on paper may not always work when you're on the bike itself. I believe CX bikes have a different geometry anyway. My 54cm Kona Bandwagon fit me perfectly whereas my old Kona Hahanna mountain bike, I was barely able to straddle over it.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #629
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Is stand over really the biggest concern in fitment on a road bike? Pretty noob here...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #630
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I'm 5'8" and I bought a 56
Kilinim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #631
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Is stand over really the biggest concern in fitment on a road bike? Pretty noob here...
It's a general rule of thumb to go by and has, so far, worked well for me. There are other factors to consider such as your reach, leg extension/length etc. But all of that can be adjusted with the seat height, stem, handlebar etc.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #632
I subscribe to Revscene

yeah you really need to get on a bike to know for sure. my mercier kilo is a "50cm" on paper but it really fits like a 51-52. My old Synapse was a 54 that felt just fine but reach was a bit of an issue for me so i had to buy a 80mm stem. if you're serious about getting into the sport, i say spend the $100 bucks or so to get yourself professionally fitted to a bike so you have a starting reference for future bikes. or end up like me and many others who buy a bike too big/small then end up having to buy another!
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #633

What do you guys this about these cycling shoes?

Mavic Cyclo Tour shoes, size US 9

I'm trying to be budget. Ad mentions no cleats, do most cycling stores locally sell it?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #634
RS Veteran

^
SPD Cleats are cheap. $22 at MEC. Get the multi-release cleats.

I have a set of brand new Shimano pedals that are SPD compatible for $20 if you want a set. I can help install them for you.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #635

Thx bcrdukes, but my bike already has shimano spd pedals
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #636
RS Veteran

Wow, nice! Most bikes don't even come with pedals! Make sure you get the multi-release cleats!

Edit: I just looked at your picture again. Those are the same pedals I have sitting around!

As for shoes, I would suggest going to MEC and trying on a different bunch for sizing/comfort. Each and every brand has their own "fit" and I've found that its the most important factor when choosing a bike shoe. No point in picking up a pair of shoes for a good deal if they feel like crap, right? Check out Sports Junkies too. They have some shoes that might fit your budget.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #637
Professional Lurker

I'm totally noob when it comes to bikes but I'm looking for a bike that's gonna get me to work which is 5km there and back. Looking for a bike that's comfortable to ride. I'm on a tight budget so something around 300 would be ideal but i think that's too cheap for something reasonably good so i'm willing to spend a bit more if it's worth it. Can someone steer me into the right direction of what and where i should be looking at?
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #638

I'm such a newb, i didn't even know we had an MEC locally...

I'm definitely gonna check it out.

I went to Sports Check yesterday to buy a front and rear light... Ended up spending like $75 on a Blackburn Flea usb ... lol... way too expensive.

Saw a set of lights with good reviews on MEC for $12.00

Gonna put the rest of the coin towards shoes after I refund these sportchek lights! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post

As for shoes, I would suggest going to MEC and trying on a different bunch for sizing/comfort.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #639
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I got my DMT shoes BRAND NEW from SportsJunkies on Broadway for $99 + tax. They didn't have a scratch on them. They're just a stone's throw away from MEC so definitely hit them up.

A plus for me is that they have some cute hipster guys working there!
StaceyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #640

Are you planning on biking rain or shine? or just fair weather? Are you biking only on paved roads, or some trails? Are you planning on wearing a backpack, or will you install a rack and have pannier bags?

All of that kinda thing will play a part in choosing a bike. $300, you're a bit limited. From what i saw in most bike shops, they start around $500 for a hybrid bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX-R View Post
I'm totally noob when it comes to bikes but I'm looking for a bike that's gonna get me to work which is 5km there and back. Looking for a bike that's comfortable to ride. I'm on a tight budget so something around 300 would be ideal but i think that's too cheap for something reasonably good so i'm willing to spend a bit more if it's worth it. Can someone steer me into the right direction of what and where i should be looking at?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #641
Professional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Are you planning on biking rain or shine? or just fair weather? Are you biking only on paved roads, or some trails? Are you planning on wearing a backpack, or will you install a rack and have pannier bags?

All of that kinda thing will play a part in choosing a bike. $300, you're a bit limited. From what i saw in most bike shops, they start around $500 for a hybrid bike.
Only in fair weather, only paved roads and ill be wearing a backpack. what about used bikes? what should i look for when it comes to finding a used bike?
EX-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #642
I subscribe to Revscene

what i go for (more or less in order of importance) assuming you've picked your budget:

1) frame material (carbon vs titanium vs aluminum vs steel etc)
3) Brand
4) Groupset
5) other parts (wheels, saddle, bars, etc)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #643
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

What are some good bike stores in the lower mainland?

I'm looking for a Road/Hybrid bike and in the range of $400-$600.

Thanks
JunFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #644
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Anyone want to be riding buddies with me?

StaceyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #645
I subscribe to Revscene

a few of us are going up to west van sunday morning if anyone wants to join

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=...F-8&authuser=0

So far it's me, my buddy, GREddie, and bcrdukes if he can get dragged out
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #646
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post

Where are you guys riding out to because I might be able to join.
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #647
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post

Haha sorry dat_steve. Unfortunately, I am not as ambitious as you guys. I also need to replace my oxygen sensors on my car so have fun! (P.S. - Watch out for GREddie. That guy man...freakin' beast!) So, just an update on my bike. I got rid of the stock handle bar which weighed in at 295g. I threw on the Easton EC90 SLX3 carbon bar which weighed in at 195g. Threw on an old set of my co-worker's Reynolds Alta wheels with Michelin Pro3 Race tires. So smooth and the rolling resistance is amazing. My stock Shimano RS10 wheels keep going out of true. Also, upgraded my stock seat post weighing in at 295g to a Giant carbon post weighing in at 185g.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12070070.jpg (35.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 12070071.jpg (67.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #648
I subscribe to Revscene

daaaaamn! you're definitely going to feel the difference there - so jelly. my rs10's are starting to feel "flexy" i think i'm going to cave soon and buy new wheels.

Prelude - we're probably going to meet up somewhere downtown...maybe in the coal harbour area right before stanley park then head up over the lionsgate to west van (whytecliff park). no egos on this ride just a bunch of n00bs...and one triathlete lol
Old 07-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #649
RS Veteran

Steve! Do it! Get some new wheels!

Part of the reason why my RS10s are going out of true is because of my weight. I weigh in at 215 (I lost a LOT of weight since February) and I don't think these wheels were meant to support such a weight. When I hammer down on the cranks and start hitting 40km/h, they start to wobble and go out of true while the rear brake drags. The spoke count on them don't help neither.

If this "triathlete" is who I think it is (as per GREddie) he is not just "a triathlete." He's freakin' Superman.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #650
I subscribe to Revscene

if i was made of money i would lol i'm going to try my luck sniping some mavics ksyrium elites on ebay.

you keep saying eddie is a beast and eddie keeps saying you're a beast. don't know who to believe