REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Criminal checks to rent an apartment

I was talking to a friend and he told me about how the strata in his condo passed a bylaw where all owners who planned on renting their units had to have the potential renter's complete a criminal back ground check before allowing them to rent.

They have been doing this since February and any owner's who are caught not complying with this bylaw, they were fined for every month that the unit is being rented out for.

My question is, is this even legal? And if yes, can they deny someone rental to the suite if they do have a record? I know for jobs, unless it is for a job that is highly senstive, a criminal record should not be the reason to get you turned down.

From what my friend said, the logic behind it is to get a better idea of who the renter's are and reduce the risk of criminal activities ie. grow ops/drug labs.

And how effective would this be?
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

make sense...if you are property owner, do you want to rent to the Bacon brothers?
woozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
i just did the criminal record check for work, $65 bucks, and can take up to 20 business days to get done.

i did mine at november 27th, and im still waiting...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
i just did the criminal record check for work, $65 bucks, and can take up to 20 business days to get done.

i did mine at november 27th, and im still waiting...
I assume you got it done at VPD?
They just processed/mailed out the applications for Nov. 27th. I was there on Friday to do my record check.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Without digging into the strata legislation, I would expect that the council is entirely within their rights to do this, as long as the bylaw passes with the requisite percentage of votes. Most stratas have bylaws giving the council and/or property management at least SOME control over potential renters. In some cases, it may simply be the maximum number of units that can be used as rentals. If it's that big a deal, your friend might want to delve into his strata's bylaws.

As for how effective it is, it will only show people who've been convicted of a criminal offense... a guy could be a mass-murderer, herion trafficker, and cat rapist, but if he's never been convicted, the strata won't know the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Without digging into the strata legislation, I would expect that the council is entirely within their rights to do this, as long as the bylaw passes with the requisite percentage of votes. Most stratas have bylaws giving the council and/or property management at least SOME control over potential renters. In some cases, it may simply be the maximum number of units that can be used as rentals. If it's that big a deal, your friend might want to delve into his strata's bylaws.

As for how effective it is, it will only show people who've been convicted of a criminal offense... a guy could be a mass-murderer, herion trafficker, and cat rapist, but if he's never been convicted, the strata won't know the difference.
I can only assume the vote passed with the proper minimum number of votes.

But would these criminal record checks really reduce the chance that the unit is being used for a grow op/meth lab, or a illegal massage parlor?

I don't want to sound like a money hungry landlord, but if the possible tenant has to wait 20+ days to get a record check done, then why would that tenant want to rent with my friend? Why would anyone want to go through the hassles to rent that unit?

And if that person had a record for public urninating, can the strata say no to letting that person rent? What about an assault conviction?

I'm really curious to hear from the police officers to shed some insght here.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I can only assume the vote passed with the proper minimum number of votes.

But would these criminal record checks really reduce the chance that the unit is being used for a grow op/meth lab, or a illegal massage parlor?
Well, it would ensure that someone with a criminal record won't be the name on the lease... I suppose that would make a SMALL improvement in the odds.

Ultimately, I suppose it's as much of a CYA concern - if a place WAS busted for a grow op, it would show that the strata *and* owner had performed due diligence in not renting to known criminals. It's a valid concern these days with current legislation, where a landlord and/or property owner can be held liable for renters running a grow op or other illegal enterprise.

Quote:
And if that person had a record for public urninating, can the strata say no to letting that person rent? What about an assault conviction?
Public urination is a misdemeanor - it wouldn't show up on a criminal record check. An assault conviction probably would, though.

I had to do the record check for a security job... all it comes back with is yay or nay - either you have a criminal conviction, or you don't. AFAIK, it won't state exactly what the convictions were for.
Quote:
Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

I don't want to sound like a money hungry landlord, but if the possible tenant has to wait 20+ days to get a record check done, then why would that tenant want to rent with my friend? Why would anyone want to go through the hassles to rent that unit?

I'm really curious to hear from the police officers to shed some insght here.
Without knowing the nitty-gritty of residential tenancy act and other associated laws, I can't comment on whether or not the stratas actually have the authority to demand a record check be done.

Now, if it is legit, why not? Would you not feel safer knowing that everyone in your building has been screened? (whether or not you are actually safer is a different debate, but the illusion makes some people sleep better) And the strata can accept/deny anyone they chose, so long its within the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I think the biggest problem here is the wait time for the check. But apparently it can take up to 20 days? I haven't actually gone out to get one done, always been too lazy. I try and gauge their persona from a couple of questions and then I go and assume that if they're willing to sign the consent form, they don't have much to hide...

Back on topic, the OP is more worried about the extra trouble of finding a tenant and is questioning the actual usefulness of this bylaw. I understand that sometimes people seem sketchy and yeah you're probably better off doing the check. But if someone legit is interested in your apartment and it's a couple with steady jobs and good references, the bylaw seems redundant and a waste of time.

Side question, where do you guys go get them done?
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomooCow View Post
Side question, where do you guys go get them done?
Your local police detachment.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If you don't want to do a CR check, don't rent there. Simple.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #12

^Yeah, I think the concern here is from the owner's POV, and the fact that he'll lose potential *legitimate* renters because of this requirement.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #13
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

24 hour turn around time.. for criminal record checks here..

https://www.mybackcheck.com/
Old 12-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #14

Took about 4 days when I did mine at the Ridge Meadows RCMP.... they mailed it direct to my employer.
Quote:
Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i just got 2 different ones done, one for the RCMP, and One for a potential job.. Neither one took more than 4 days.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_FTW View Post
24 hour turn around time.. for criminal record checks here..

How legitamite is this site? Most of the time, they say to go to your local detachment to get it done.

Soundy is right, my questions were more from the seller's POV.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #17
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I work for this company

its 100 legitime..

we are the biggest Background checking company in Canada
Most major Companys in Canada use are services.

BackCheck