REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #26
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,365
Thanked 5,490 Times in 1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
i had failed your post not because i thought i was a lawyer, but because you are expecting lawyers to be answering to ticket questions on RS... the OP had posted a question, on a PUBLIC forum, asking for people's opinions. if he wanted lawyer's opinion, he would probably have contacted one and paid him $400/hour for a consultation. If i had a law degree i wouldnt be wasting my time answering questions on RS. I simply shared by personal experiences with the OP to help him make his decision and formulate a defense in order to successfully beat the ticket. so how am i talking out of my ass or being a "roadside lawyer"? because i think the RCMP are a bunch of crooks? then sure, im talking out of my ass for sharing my personal opinion
Really?!

Your idea of help is to formulate a defence based on a "my word against theirs" argument? If that is the case, what was the point of even posting?! The whole idea of a dispute is to present my word against theirs, what else would it be?

Yes, the cop does need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you have committed an offence but at the same time, if you're going to provide evidence, you're going to get cross-examined. If your story isn't straight, you're going to be hooped. You can try to hoop the cop but normally, they are a little more experienced in these matters than the average joe. Not to mention that the JP can as easily rule in the favour of the officer than you. It isn't like cops are normally out to get you. Oh and they don't really have a set amount of tickets they need to hand out. They need to interact with the public and have percentages (IIRC) of what should be what but not how many tickets they need to hand out.

Trial/court isn't merely as simple as you've led the OP and other readers to believe. And for that, you fail.
Advertisement
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #27
RS Peace Officer
 
Five-Oh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 471
Thanked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
Honestly I do not know how fast I was going but I did feel it was unsafe to stop and safe to proceed based on the following:
- There were no cars in the turning lane.
- It was still drizzling out, and it had been raining most of the day.
- I didn't have the best pair of tires on which I have since changed to snow tires.
If you plan to use this as the basis on your dispute there is a good chance you will lose if the officer has any experience in traffic court. Although you took these circumstances into consideration when you made your decision, I don't believe a judge will see these as a viable defence.

1 - The presence of cars in an oncoming turning lane has no effect on your ability to stop.
2 - The wet roads increasing the stopping distance is a defence you can use, but you need more information to support these facts such as where you were when the light turned yellow.
3 - Telling a judge you had bad tires on your car will not help, it basically just tells the judge you were driving a vehicle you knew to be unsafe.

The fact that I wasn't there makes it difficult for me to say what will happen in court if you dispute this ticket. Out of all the police officers I know, I don't know any police officers that would issue a ticket for a yellow light when a person is just entering a cross walk when the light turns yellow. The only time I will issue these is if the light is just about to turn red as they are entering.

Despite what xplosive says, this isn't a guaranteed win in court. I have never lost a yellow light ticket in traffic court. You will have to do your research, prepare your case, and maybe even speak to one of your friends that is a lawyer prior to attending traffic court. Too many people come to traffic court unprepared and having no idea what to expect. But if you don't believe you deserve the ticket you should dispute it, that is why the dispute process is there.

And as for you doing charity work while you received this ticket, it is unfortunate that people doing good things get tickets, but no matter what you are doing the traffic laws always apply. In my service I have heard pretty much every excuse I can think of and more about why people shouldn't get a ticket and unfortunately we can't give everybody who is doing good things a break or we would never be giving out any tickets. We don't have any quota but the traffic laws still need to be enforced.
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS
 
xpl0sive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burnaby,BC
Posts: 2,053
Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
so why not say that you were going too fast to stop? i mean i know your are admitting to speeding, but thats not the questionin court. the question is did you or did you not enter the intersection while the yellow light was already on... I know it sounds kinda stupid to admit to speeding in front of a judge and the cop, but I once saw an asian girl in court who got three tickets, one was for driving without due care and attention, other one was illegal uturn and third was speeding i think... anyways, when the judge asked her what she was doing, she said that she had been drinking that night and pulled a u-turn in the middle of the road at 2am... so the judge reduced all the tickets to minimum fines and told her to promise not to drink and drive again... wouldn't saying that you were going too fast for the conditions and would not be able to stop in time for the light, so instead you sped up to get through the intersection safely....
__________________
Fast, Reliable, Cheap

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #29
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
"saying that you were going too fast for the conditions and would not be able to stop in time for the light, so instead you sped up to get through the intersection safely...."



ox⋅y⋅mo⋅ron  /ˌɒksɪˈmɔrɒn, -ˈmoʊr-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ok-si-mawr-on, -mohr-] Show IPA
Use oxymoron in a Sentence
See web results for oxymoron
See images of oxymoron
–noun, plural -mo⋅ra  /-ˈmɔrə, -ˈmoʊrə/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [-mawr-uh, -mohr-uh] Show IPA . Rhetoric. a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #30
boot boot car
 
PiuYi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,054
Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
Okay so today I was traveling down Westminster Hwy in Richmond and as I approached the intersection the light turned yellow. I decided to go through it since I'd have to slam on my brakes to stop in time and I didn't want the car behind me to rear end me. There was a police car turning left facing the same direction as me, and when I passed the intersection he turned on his sirens and pulled me over. The ticket I got was MVA (1)(a):
Quote:
Yellow light

128 (1) When a yellow light alone is exhibited at an intersection by a traffic control signal, following the exhibition of a green light,

(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light must cause it to stop before entering the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if there is no marked crosswalk, before entering the intersection, unless the stop cannot be made in safety,
I've decided to dispute this ticket as I deemed it unsafe to stop in time for the yellow as the car behind me could have rear ended me. I thought this was pretty clear-cut win as it says right there "unless the stop cannot be made in safety" but after reading through this thread it seems I only have 2 options:

1) go out to the huge ass intersection and personally measure the size of it, do the math, and show I was past the point where i physically was able to stop the car

2) as Xplosive said, say I was going like 100km/h (blatant lie) and could not stop in time, but since my speed is not the issue here and I did not get a speeding ticket, then that should be grounds for my argument? (seems ridiculous but would it work??)
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:27 AM   #31
boot boot car
 
PiuYi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,054
Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
^ also for option 1) the police car was at the very front of the intersection and could no way have seen where I was when the light turned yellow, how does that affect my case?


by the way for the record, I HONESTLY believe I was unable to safely stop in time for the intersection, I'm not disputing this just because I don't want to pay, I used good judgement and am being penalized for it as a result, hence the dispute
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #32
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
1) go out to the huge ass intersection and personally measure the size of it, do the math, and show I was past the point where i physically was able to stop the car
I like this defence, if it turns out to be available after your calculations.

Quote:
2) as Xplosive said, say I was going like 100km/h (blatant lie) and could not stop in time, but since my speed is not the issue here and I did not get a speeding ticket, then that should be grounds for my argument? (seems ridiculous but would it work??)
Why would you even consider doing this? Police officers (and every other driver with some experience) can estimate speed. Lie enough that it is obvious any you may add a criminal charge of perjury to the list. Stupid.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #33
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
also for option 1) the police car was at the very front of the intersection and could no way have seen where I was when the light turned yellow, how does that affect my case?
That would all depend on whether the officer can tell the court he could see the light. I know that I used to sit there and watch the lights. It was not that difficult.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #34
boot boot car
 
PiuYi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,054
Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
That would all depend on whether the officer can tell the court he could see the light. I know that I used to sit there and watch the lights. It was not that difficult.
so your saying all the officer has to do is say that he saw my car's position exactly when the light turned yellow, and determined it was safe to stop, and the JP will take his word for it?

sorry, another question, for the measuring out the intersection argument, doesn't that only determine where I was capable of stopping and not determine at what point it was safe for me to come to a stop?
so even though I was capable of stopping at some point, doesn't make it safe to do so, correct?
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #35
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
so your saying all the officer has to do is say that he saw my car's position exactly when the light turned yellow, and determined it was safe to stop, and the JP will take his word for it?
If no evidence to the contrary is entered, then yes, that is how it would work.

Quote:
sorry, another question, for the measuring out the intersection argument, doesn't that only determine where I was capable of stopping and not determine at what point it was safe for me to come to a stop?
so even though I was capable of stopping at some point, doesn't make it safe to do so, correct?
Look at this the other way around. It may show that you could not have stopped.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,731
Thanked 12,144 Times in 3,366 Posts
Is there a left-turn light there? If not, and the cop was at the front of the left-turn lane, shouldn't he have been paying attention to the oncoming traffic in order to make his own turn safely?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #37
boot boot car
 
PiuYi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,054
Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Is there a left-turn light there? If not, and the cop was at the front of the left-turn lane, shouldn't he have been paying attention to the oncoming traffic in order to make his own turn safely?
there was a left turn lane, and the officer was at the front of that left turn lane, but the left turn lane is controlled by a light separate from my light (which is in the same direction), and his light was red
his position is really what makes me wonder how he could judge my position correctly since he'd have to look backwards to see where my car is and at the same time look forwards to see the light has just turned yellow
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #38
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Any other traffic around in your direction? If someone in front of you stopped for the yellow and you didn't, this was often evidence that I used to show someone should have stopped....
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #39
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
sebTeggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 809
Thanked 55 Times in 26 Posts
it wasnt safe to stop, end of story. You dont have to give the judge ANY evidence, all you have to say is 'i FELT it was unsafe to stop, so i didnt'

Plus, its a yellow, thats what its for.... unsafe = keep going, safe = stop.

describe why you thought it was safe unsafe. No pedestrians, rain, say the roads werent salted (this will take the blame away from you having bad tires, to the city not salting the roads), no oncoming traffic. tell her you could have stopped unsafely.

99% cop wont show up anyways. half the people here are overthinking this, if u are truly innocent, you dont have to really prepare. best of luck, and all the people having debates here. a message to you

and anyone who wants to argue with me.... read the beginning of this sentence again

Last edited by skidmark; 02-22-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: profanity
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #40
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,365
Thanked 5,490 Times in 1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebTeggy View Post
dispute that shit, cops are just being assholes

it wasnt safe to stop, end of story. You dont have to give the judge ANY evidence, all you have to say is 'i FELT it was unsafe to stop, so i didnt'

Plus, its a yellow, thats what its for.... unsafe = keep going, safe = stop.

describe why you thought it was safe unsafe. No pedestrians, rain, say the roads werent salted (this will take the blame away from you having tires, to the city not salting the roads), no oncoming traffic. tell her you could have stopped unsafely.

99% cop wont show up anyways. half the people here are overthinking this , if u are truly innocent, you dont have to really prepare. best of luck, and all the people having debates here. a message to you

its revscene, anyone who wants to argue with me.... read the beginning of this sentence again
Because you know, that isn't evidence at all. When you testify, you are providing evidence as a participant to the event. At which point the cop has the right to cross examine you. So as for your "you don't have to give the judge any evidence", you're hooped and crapped for luck.

Clearly you know nothing about law or how proceedings work so please shut up, sit down and let the big boys talk. PiuYi doesn't need to listen to your baseless and complete wrong statement.

Last edited by zulutango; 02-22-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: profanity
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #41
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
sebTeggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 809
Thanked 55 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Because you know, that isn't evidence at all. When you testify, you are providing evidence as a participant to the event. At which point the cop has the right to cross examine you. So as for your "you don't have to give the judge any evidence", you're hooped and crapped for luck.

Clearly you know nothing about law or how proceedings work so please shut up, sit down and let the big boys talk. PiuYi doesn't need to listen to your baseless and complete wrong statement.
pretty sure its innocent until proven guilty, and i think you should stop watching csi, wtf is the cop going to say? kthanx, i wish i could fail you for life

Last edited by zulutango; 02-22-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: profanity. Any more and you will be banned.
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #42
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,365
Thanked 5,490 Times in 1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebTeggy View Post
, im saying the cop has to prove why he was guilty, rather than him saying why hes innocent

pretty sure its innocent until proven guilty, and i think you should stop watching csi, wtf is the cop going to say? kthanx, i wish i could fail you for life


If you say "I FELT IT WAS UNSAFE" then you are presenting evidence. Describing the incident yourself is providing more evidence! Have you not read your reply?

Hence why you need to poke holes in the cops story and not fill it in with your own account.

Last edited by zulutango; 02-22-2010 at 02:32 PM.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #43
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
sebTeggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 809
Thanked 55 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
You're retarded.

If you say "I FELT IT WAS UNSAFE" then you are presenting evidence. Describing the incident yourself is providing more evidence! Have you not read your reply?

Hence why you need to poke holes in the cops story and not fill it in with your own account. You've proven yet again how stupid and baseless your replies are.
kk sry. didnt know u went to harvard school of law and do free gigs on revscene.

Last edited by zulutango; 02-22-2010 at 02:32 PM.
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #44
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
there was a left turn lane, and the officer was at the front of that left turn lane, but the left turn lane is controlled by a light separate from my light (which is in the same direction), and his light was red
his position is really what makes me wonder how he could judge my position correctly since he'd have to look backwards to see where my car is and at the same time look forwards to see the light has just turned yellow

I gather that you passed him from behind? He could easliy see the yellow light in front of him and you and using his mirrors, could see your position in relation to the intersection? Just a thought.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #45
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,365
Thanked 5,490 Times in 1,481 Posts
Wait, what?

Zulu, why was my post failed?
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #46
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
jlenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 3,562
Thanked 330 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebTeggy View Post
pretty sure its innocent until proven guilty
You've obviously never been to traffic court

Just a question... where were you when the light turned red?
__________________
Don't be the next RS.net statistic - If you drink, don't drive. You'll lose your licence, and the rest of us will laugh at you.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #47
boot boot car
 
PiuYi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,054
Thanked 1,284 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Any other traffic around in your direction? If someone in front of you stopped for the yellow and you didn't, this was often evidence that I used to show someone should have stopped....
yup its a fairly busy intersection, there wasn't a car right beside me that i could measure against, but all the cars in front of me ran the yellow and no cars behind me ran the yellow after me (so i was last car to cross intersection)

btw is this a common ticket that's given out?? cuz i've never heard of anyone getting this kind of ticket before... i'm still kinda dumbstruck i got this in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I gather that you passed him from behind? He could easliy see the yellow light in front of him and you and using his mirrors, could see your position in relation to the intersection? Just a thought.
ya i thought that too, but its pretty hard to judge my distance from the intersection through his mirror, I figured my word would be taken over his if the JP asked where I was when the light turned yellow since me, being in the car itself, would be the better judge of that than the officer looking through his mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
You've obviously never been to traffic court

Just a question... where were you when the light turned red?
I was still in the intersection, but its a fairly big one (gardencity/westminster hwy)

also when the light turned yellow I was accelerating because I had just slowed down previously (the car in front of me slowed down to turn into left-turn lane)
it was because I was already under acceleration that prompted my decision not to slam on the brakes (and risk the car behind me hitting me) but to continue accelerating and pass the yellow
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #48
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Wait, what?

Zulu, why was my post failed?
I was doing some content editing for some profanity and removedsome of it from the quotes of another poster. Didn't intend to zap you.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #49
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,365
Thanked 5,490 Times in 1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I was doing some content editing for some profanity and removedsome of it from the quotes of another poster. Didn't intend to zap you.


Alright then. I was thinking I said something wrong...?

Remove button? haha
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:21 PM   #50
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
jlenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 3,562
Thanked 330 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko
Just a question... where were you when the light turned red?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi
I was still in the intersection, but its a fairly big one (gardencity/westminster hwy)
In that case... just guessing on the times here, but what the officer will probably present in court... that the light was probably yellow for a good 3 seconds before you even entered the intersection? So either you were speeding prior to entering the intersection, which is why it's assumed you had enough time to stop.

Pick one.. this ticket, or one for speeding. I don't think you'll get out of it, but that's just my guess. If you choose to fight it, let us know what happens
__________________
Don't be the next RS.net statistic - If you drink, don't drive. You'll lose your licence, and the rest of us will laugh at you.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net