REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Vancouver Residential Tax to increase in 2010

Quote:
Council approves residential taxpayer increase
New parking bylaw also kicking in
Irfaan Gaffar/Connie Thiessen Dec 18, 2009 10:27:15 AM
7 Recommendation(s)

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Vancouver City Councillors have approved the city's 2010 operating budget with residential taxpayers facing a 2.2 per cent rate increase. While the city found money to keep the Riley Park library branch open, some community centre and library programs found themselves on the chopping block.

Lone NPA councillor Suzanne Anton wasn't happy. "When people are hard up and we all know that to be true that's when you keep your library programs, that's when you keep your community centre programs. That's when they are most important."

Mayor Gregor Robertson says he thinks council had to make tough decisions. "I think we've found a balance between keeping property tax increases low, as low as possible, but protecting the core services and really critical services for vulnerable people, for homeless, for public safety, environment and the arts. Areas that basically this council was elected to represent."

City councillors also decided to go ahead with a new parking bylaw that will extend city parking meter hours until 10 p.m. and bring rates at some meters to six dollars an hour. The fare hike is kicking in because the city is expected to lose about $1.8 million due to parking restrictions during the Olympics.
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...payer-increase
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Just the beginning..................

Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

wow, speechless...
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Stupid question but where does all the money collected from ticket sales to Olympic events go? Does it go to the IOC, the venue owner or to the City?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

^ it goes towards their fat bonuses for a job well done.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
^ it goes towards their fat bonuses for a job well done.
I know it's not happening but logic would say you take some of that money and replace the revenue lost from parking during the Olympics. The only thing guaranteed is at the end of the day the Tax Payer will be screwed the hardest not that I really care it was totally expected I was just curious where it went.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
thank you Vancouver for providing us a good place to live.

Im tired of ranting increase of tax, nonsense law the government are making.. Now I will try to appreciate everything they do...

Not !! FUCK YOU
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

ohh fuck not again
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
ok hold on. so VANCOUVER is going to "lose" 1.8 million because VANCOUVER is putting up parking restrictions because of the olympics, so VANCOUVER is going to raise the rates on the rest of the meters and extend the hours... WOW. way to pass the costs on to the residents

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I know it's not happening but logic would say you take some of that money and replace the revenue lost from parking during the Olympics. The only thing guaranteed is at the end of the day the Tax Payer will be screwed the hardest not that I really care it was totally expected I was just curious where it went.
IRC, revenue lost from parking is an opportunity cost and should not be considered in the captial budgeing process. Logically the revenue should go to cover the operating expenses (ie. security, utility bills, salaries...etc.) Leftovers, if there's any, should be used to repay debt.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

fuck, thats all they do. raise taxes

shit
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #12

I think this is a good time to bring up how valuable China is to our economy. We all despise goods from China. But if everything were to be made local at market value, just like the 2010 Olympic games, things will be so super expensive that no 1 can afford it. Just look at the way the governement raises tax to break even. Yes, incompetance pays a role but at the end of the day, things are just too expensive. China is very important in keeping our cost of living low.

This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #13

'The fare hike is kicking in because the city is expected to lose about $1.8 million due to parking restrictions during the Olympics. "

yeh fucking rite, so parking rates will go down once the city makes up the loss.....

i just see the Councillors voting for another pay raise pretty soon....
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
there were many people bashing China when they were having the Olympics.. things like evicting the residents..... Vancouver is sort of doing the same thing except they go around the problem to make us suffer... More people bashing China because they are communist and their image.
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
I think this is a good time to bring up how valuable China is to our economy. We all despise goods from China. But if everything were to be made local at market value, just like the 2010 Olympic games, things will be so super expensive that no 1 can afford it. Just look at the way the governement raises tax to break even. Yes, incompetance pays a role but at the end of the day, things are just too expensive. China is very important in keeping our cost of living low.
and China's economy is just as dependent on the Western countries because without all the money going into China, they would not able able to function. They have no natual resources, no technology, they just make our stuff for us for cheap

Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
That's a bit of an over generalisation.. they also hold the world largest supply of rare earth metals.. without them we will be stuck with machines with chips that runs in the Mhz instead of the Ghz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
and China's economy is just as dependent on the Western countries because without all the money going into China, they would not able able to function. They have no natual resources, no technology, they just make our stuff for us for cheap
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #17

and would they have the equipment and resources to actually mine for these metals if it wasnt for the western world? if there was no money going into china, they would still be using mail as a means of mass communication

Old 12-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
and would they have the equipment and resources to actually mine for these metals if it wasnt for the western world? if there was no money going into china, they would still be using mail as a means of mass communication
Naw.

There is sufficient equipment and resources. You'd be surprised as to how much manpower is available, and what said manpower can do... think manual mining. You'd also be surprised at their industrial base.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Just the beginning..................

thats a fucken AWESOME picture!
I was staring at it for like a good 5 minutes lol
bigassbooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #20
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Vancouver: A city that "pretends" to be world class.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigassbooger View Post
thats a fucken AWESOME picture!
I was staring at it for like a good 5 minutes lol
It's an awesome photo that was in National Geographic magazine. Multiple pictures put together. Photographer knew he couldn't take such a picture, so he composed this. It was done to show people how much of an iceberg is actually underwater.

People say it's a fake, but the author never claimed it to be genuine. Nonetheless, it is an awesome picture. I saw a poster of it somewhere with a great caption under it.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #22
Banned (BBM)

now i really need a raise lol

everything is going up, except my pay
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #23

Quote:
After being in China for the first time of my life, and seeing all the stuff here, my perception of "China goods" and "Made in China" goods are actually very well made. We all bash (as I used to) things that were made in China, or people from China, but it is a HUGE generalization. Yes, Shen Zhen is a shit hole, quite possibly many other areas of China. But there are ALOT of talented people there as I met a few people my age in Beijing, and their lives, struggles and pursuits are much likes ours.
Yes they are communist, however, some aspects of how they run their government is worth learning from. Hearing this shit from Vancouver while I'm still here in China, makes me want to stay. I'm not saying everything that the Communist government does is the right thing, but there needs to be a balance.
I don't want to write an essay, on the comparisons, but while living in Vancouver for all my life, and experiencing the Hong Kong government as well as China's, I could say Vancouver's elected representatives are wishy washy, and a plain gong show. Hearing this crap makes me not want to come back.... ugh..
LengJai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
items can be made with great quality anywhere, but the quality determines the price

so cheap goods made in china (or anywhere for that matter) will suck its just that most of the cheapest items come from china so we associate Made In China=crap
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
items can be made with great quality anywhere, but the quality determines the price

so cheap goods made in china (or anywhere for that matter) will suck its just that most of the cheapest items come from china so we associate Made In China=crap
they are cheap, but necessarily crap. yes, albeit, some thigns are super shit, but it's the wages. I feel horrible for many of the people that work for a dime here in China simply because their wages suck ass. But really, what can you do when you're butt fuck poor right?
The good thing is, ever since the olympics here, the government has been really anal about quality control on products. Many of the things they do here are of top quality and convenience.
LengJai is offline   Reply With Quote