REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Soviet doctor performed self surgery

In April, 29th, 1961 a doctor of the 6th Soviet Antarctic expedition Leonid Rogozov aged 27 felt pain in a right lower belly and fever. The next day brought only exasperation. Having no chance to call a plane and being the onlydoctor at the station “Novolazarevskaya”, at night, in April, 30 th the surgeon made an appendix removal operation on himself using local anesthesia. He was assisted by an engineer and the station’s meteorologist.

Leonid Rogozov – a hero-surgeon
Category: Russian People |

d180d0bed0b3d0bed0b7d0bed0b2-d0bed0bfd0b5d180d0b8d180d183d0b5d182-d181d0b5d0b1d18f-41

In April, 29th, 1961 a doctor of the 6th Soviet Antarctic expedition Leonid Rogozov aged 27 felt pain in a right lower belly and fever. The next day brought only exasperation. Having no chance to call a plane and being the onlydoctor at the station “Novolazarevskaya”, at night, in April, 30 th the surgeon made an appendix removal operation on himself using local anesthesia. He was assisted by an engineer and the station’s meteorologist.

In 1959 Leonid Rogozov graduated from the Institute and was immediately accepted to the surgery clinical residency. However, his studies at the residency were broken off for some time due to Leonid’s trip to Antarctica in September, 1960 as a doctor of the 6th Soviet Antarctic expedition to Novolazarevskaya station.

During this expedition there happened an event that made a 27-year old surgeon world-famous.

In the 4th month of the wintering, in April, 29th, 1961, Leonid showed disturbing symptoms: weakness, nausea, fever and pain in a right iliac region. The following day his temperature got even higher. Being the onlydoctor in the expedition consisting of 13 people, Leonid diagnosed himself: acute appendicitis. There were no planes at any of the nearest stations, besides, adverse weather conditions would not allow to fly to Novolazarevskaya anyway. In order to save the sick member of a polar expedition there was needed an urgent operation on site. And the only way out was to operate on himself.

At night, on the 30th of April, 1961, the surgeon was being helped by a mechanical engineer and a meteorologist who were giving him the medical instruments and holding a small mirror at his belly. Lying half bent on the left side, thedoctor made a local anesthesia with novocaine solution and made a 12cm incision in the right iliac region with a scalpel. Either watching in the mirror or by touch he removed an inflamedappendix and injected antibiotic in the abdominal cavity. In 30 or 40 minutes from the beginning of the operation there developed a faint and giddiness and thesurgeon had to make pauses for some rest. Nevertheless, by midnight the operation lasting 1 hour and 45 minutes was over. In five days the temperature normalized, in two days more – the stitches were taken out.

In the St. Petersburg Museum of the Arctic and the Antarctic there is an exposure of surgical instruments that Leonid Rogozov applied for this uneasy operation.

An astronaut-pilot of the USSR, a Hero of the Soviet Union, German Titov wrote in his book “My blue planet”:

“In our country an exploit is life itself.

… We admire the Soviet doctor Boris Pastukhov, who injected himself with plague vaccine before applying it on the sick people: we envy the courage of the Soviet doctor Leonid Rogozov who made an appendix removal operation on himself in the hard conditions of the Antarctic expedition.

Sometimes I reflect upon this in solitude and ask myself if I could do the same and only one answer comes to my mind: “I would do my best…”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Rogozov
Advertisement
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

In soviet Russia, doctor operates on himself
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
these old european photos always freak the freak out of me
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

fuck lol that guy has some balls
XxFcukxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
damm that is sketch
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Remember this guy when you call in sick with the sniffles
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,074 Times in 1,184 Posts
^
Wow, nice avatar!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

hmmm
thats news
KingCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

fail. there was a guy crossing the ocean on a boat by himself.

with no medical or surgical background he removed his own appendix without painkillers and over the fucking cell phone! a doctor talked him through it somehow.

IIRC he was picked up the next day by a plane in the middle of the ocean.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
http://www.cjtf7.army.mil/index.php?...101&Itemid=128
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Banned (BBM)

kewl
kangel is offline   Reply With Quote