REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
The RS Anchorman

The McFarthest Place: 145 Mi to the Nearest Big Mac

There are over 13,000 McDonald’s restaurants in the US, or about 1 for every 23,000 Americans. But even market penetration this advanced doesn’t mean that McDonald’s is everywhere. Somewhere in South Dakota is the McFarthest Spot, the place in the US geographically most removed from the nearest McD’s (*). If you started out from this location, a few miles north of State Highway 20 (which runs latitudinally between Highways 73 in the west and 65 in the east), you’d have to drive 145 miles to get your Big Mac (if you could fly, however, it’d be only 107 miles).

This map is the brainchild of Stephen Von Worley, who got to thinking about the strip malls sprawling out along I-5 in California’s ever less rural Central Valley: “Just how far can you get from generic convenience? And how would you figure that out?”

His yardstick for that thought experiment would be the ubiquitous Golden Arches of McDonald’s – still the world’s largest hamburger chain, and to cite Von Worley, the “inaugural megacorporate colonizer of small towns nationwide.” That’s not the whole story: like other convenience providers aimed at the motorised consumer such as gas stations and motels, McDonald’ses have a notable tendency to occur on highways and, specifically, to cluster at their crossroads.

This map moreover demonstrates that the spread of McD’s closely mirrors the population density of the Lower 48, the most notable overall feature of which is the sudden transition, along the Mississippi, of a relatively densely populated eastern half to a markedly less populated western half of the country. Some notable ‘dark spots’ in McDensity east of the Mississippi are the interior of Maine, the Adirondack region of New York state, a large part of West Virginia, and the Everglades area of southern Florida.

Out west, the Arches are fewer and further between, with the exception of the heavily populated coastal areas. To achieve identical density to the rest of the country, this sparsely burgered part of the country would have to be sandwiched between them so that southern California and western Texas would almost touch, and Seattle would be a day’s drive from Minneapolis. The blackest holes in the western McTapestry are the Nevada desert, some mountainous parts of Oregon and Idaho, and the plains of South Dakota – home to the aforementioned McFarthest Spot.

This map found here on Mr Von Worley’s blog, Weather Sealed. Many thanks to all who sent it in: Laura Hope Evans, Raphaël Schroeter, George Nassas, Frank LeRoy, Dana Hanley, Findlay Christopher Thomas, Jonathan Shomroni, Stephanie McCain, Alan Cunningham, Marc Dressler, Simon Holding, Patrick Dea, Jake Crouch, Stannous Flouride, criggie, Martin Sovik and Leela Kumar.

—–

(*) N 45.45955 W 101.91356, to be exact, or if you prefer the poetry of toponymy to the precision of a grid reference: 12.5 km WxNW of Glad Valley, 25 ExSE of Meadow, 31 km N of Iron Lightning and 32 km NxNW of Thunder Butte Creek (all in SD). Note: this McFarthest Spot did not take into account McD’s geographic penetration in Alaska and Hawai’i, and therefore only applies to the 48 contiguous states.
http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/200...arest-big-mac/
Advertisement
wahyinghung is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

that's kinda cool.. The picture would be quite different here in Canada though since I would guess there wouldn't be many McD's up north
VrrM604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
wow.. nice picture !!
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
wow... testament to the strangle hold fastfood chains have on americans. can you imagine if that map included ALL fastfood chains? hell, even with just BK it would be significant!
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Also, theres a McDonalds in Cuba. But only on base in Guantanamo Bay
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
That's pretty cool. The east is packed with Mickie D's...
Posted via RS Mobile
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
...and they wonder why obesity is a problem there.

Thanks for the pic
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
now do starbucks
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
now add burger king, jack in the box, sonics, etc into the mix
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
cool
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Haha, that totally reminds me of the same kind of thing for Walmart.

Resistance is futile. 90% of all Americans live within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

no wonder america is so fat

Last edited by fishing666; 12-24-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling error
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote