REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 12-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,906 Times in 753 Posts
2ton lift vs jack stands?

hey guys, i already have 1 of these 2ton lift but was thinking of getting ANOTHER one so the car can be jacked up at each end on one side

SHould i get another 2ton lift OR jack stands? what would be safer?

2ton lift $20.

OR

2 floor jacks? $20.

NOTE, this scenario would only be used to do things like swapping wheels (winters/summers) and occasional tire rotations.
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
mpr
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

you don't really need two jacks to swap wheels.

I recommend getting the jack stands for the future if you require to get under the car.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

That's not a lift. That's a jack.

Don't work under a car that's only supported by jacks. If you want to leave the car up in the air for ... whatever, be it an oil change or to rotate tires without jacking and lowering the car, you'll want a set of jackstands.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
i have one of those el cheapo floor jacks at home as well, but after using it for years, its failing.

so then i went out and bought an aluminum jack, great for my car as its low enough to slip underneath, but only raises up to 14" which is barely high enough to lift my other car.

so with my gift cards, i went out and bought the heavy duty michelin jack, goes up to 22"

i also got 4 jack stands, 2 from years back, and 2 new ones.

all in all, if u work on ur car at home, i suggest a floor jack and 2 jack stands w/ sturdy footing.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Definitely going to agree with SG here.

There have been multiple times when I've heard stories and myself experienced, jacks leaking (especially those cheap kinds), lifting points slipping (or in some cases crushing such as lifting on the pinch seam). You'd just feel a lot safer have the jack stands.

I believe I saw at Canadian tire there's a combo deal going on, you can get both the jack and jackstands for a pretty decent price. Worth checking out!
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote