REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Support Forum > Member's Support Area / Suggestions Box / Website Bugs

Member's Support Area / Suggestions Box / Website Bugs 2016 RS.Net iT Admin: SkinnyPupp
Organizational feedback, general suggestions, account fix requests, concerns, acknowledgements, website and forum bugs & fixes. Support the site, by downloading the official RS App for Android!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Voteban

Kinda like CS.

Except we get to vote ban on annoying users.

It won't be permanent, but maybe for like 2 days to a week depending on how many people voteban.

There's a whole bunch of members I would LOVE to voteban for a week or so, cause they really need to stop posting.

This wouldn't put any pressure on the mods to make a decision, and it would be (almost) purely user based. The mods open an option on a user that has been nominated for a voteban. Users vote Yes or No. Motion gets passed and they won't be able to sign in for 2days to a Week.

It'll be similar to the Fail button, except the person itself would have to be nominated by a user and reviewed by a mod. The users basically pass judgement instead of a Mod banning on what THEY think is a good reason. It would be voted by the general consensus.

MAYBE
The user nominated would be given a thread in which they could state their case as to why they shouldn't be banned blah blah. ??
That way it would seem less cruel and more like a trial. The mod of course would need to get enough votes to nominate a person first, then they put that person up for nomination.

This kinda gives people the weekly ban that they need to be more productive and not as useless.

Thoughts?
Advertisement
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Before the rest of the mods weigh in on this, I can see this getting petty and us having to deal with 50 VTB threads at a time.

That being said; I vote to ban bcrdukes!
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I say ban kardboard BUT not on rs, on twitter(jksjks)

But back on topic, this would be a good idea. Some users are "fail"ing everyone and everyone's posts. Which is just annoying
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Thing is, like with CS, there could be abuse issues, like completely uncalled for bans of innocent users, unless the system ensures that a mod is there to judge it. Then again, with the number of users on RS, there may be a need for a few more mods to offset the amount of possible votebans coming in.

I do like the premise though, it would weed out total dumbfucks.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:55 PM   #5
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
You think the fail button gets a lot of abuse? Imagine what would happen with this. Good idea, but it would never work on RS. Too many immature idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
You think the fail button gets a lot of abuse? Imagine what would happen with this. Good idea, but it would never work on RS. Too many immature idiots.
qft.

such system will not work on RS.
abuse by the users and mob mentality by the mods.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
qft.

such system will not work on RS.
abuse by the users and mob mentality by the mods.
Ugh, what?

Mob mentality by the mods?

I'm so confused by your post.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
this system wouldnt work cuz, .... who gets to vote?

users who've been around for a while? X amount of posts? X amount of time registered?

can mods vote? they shouldnt.. cuz they have the power to ban already.

...what's stopping some assholes from doing rotations and keeping someone perma temp banned.

the steam ban system works cuz there's no one to mod them, except the users.
but we have mods here to do that job.

but lets take a look at the main reason behind this, to temp ban ...people we don't like (because real trolls would be banned already)... so what's... the purpose of this again?

in games like CS, you want to play CS... you buy it and play it, if u fuck up u get kicked off a server... but on rs, if you get banned, it's not punishment, im sure most users would just not give a fuck and not come back.

actually that theory should be applied to all rules that lead to removal of features or banning of any type, if the punishment doesn't fit the "crime", and if the punishment doesn't give incentive for the person to "fix" themselves, it probably will just make them not come back, so what's the point of the temp ban/removal of features, why not just ban them straight up? or ban everyone that breaks any rules.

I mean sure, some of you might not want to see them come back, and by mod mob mentality, im pretty sure he means, one mod goes yo, this user is a dick, mod 2 agrees, then most mods agree, then that user is doomed regardless of whether he is innocent or not. and Im pretty sure he also means, the fact that most mods (not all, but most), are not willing to lose face, and moderate based on their emotions or grudges or personal preference to what is right or wrong.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #9
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Really, I just want Zhangfei back.

And temp ban other more annoying users.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Speaking for myself I usually can tell when a member is about to be banned. Its like they give up on their Revscene and start trolling everywhere.

At that point I take notice, read through their old posts, and if they're doing it everywhere I'll take action. Most of the time I try to warn them through PM. Sometimes I'll tool around with their account to shame them into behaving. If it comes to it though... I'll ban them.

Honestly, we want to avoid banning members as much as we can. When we have to we'll do it on a temporary basis but some people just have to be removed from RS altogether. A couple of years ago it seemed like a "shoot first and ask questions later" policy but !SG helped us move toward a more moderate way of moderating Revscene.

I think that implementing a voteban policy would be a step in the wrong direction. The fail button is like a nerf gun. You can point it at someone, pull the trigger, and it does nothing/means nothing. You can war with someone and all it does is put numbers under your username.

A voteban is actually disruptive. A voteban can cause real anger and I think it will ultimately lose us members.

Sure it'd be cool to vote useless asshats off of the island but at the end of the day I think the system we have now works well enough to keep.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
this system wouldnt work cuz, .... who gets to vote?

users who've been around for a while? X amount of posts? X amount of time registered?

can mods vote? they shouldnt.. cuz they have the power to ban already.

...what's stopping some assholes from doing rotations and keeping someone perma temp banned.

the steam ban system works cuz there's no one to mod them, except the users.
but we have mods here to do that job.

but lets take a look at the main reason behind this, to temp ban ...people we don't like (because real trolls would be banned already)... so what's... the purpose of this again?

in games like CS, you want to play CS... you buy it and play it, if u fuck up u get kicked off a server... but on rs, if you get banned, it's not punishment, im sure most users would just not give a fuck and not come back.

actually that theory should be applied to all rules that lead to removal of features or banning of any type, if the punishment doesn't fit the "crime", and if the punishment doesn't give incentive for the person to "fix" themselves, it probably will just make them not come back, so what's the point of the temp ban/removal of features, why not just ban them straight up? or ban everyone that breaks any rules.

I mean sure, some of you might not want to see them come back, and by mod mob mentality, im pretty sure he means, one mod goes yo, this user is a dick, mod 2 agrees, then most mods agree, then that user is doomed regardless of whether he is innocent or not. and Im pretty sure he also means, the fact that most mods (not all, but most), are not willing to lose face, and moderate based on their emotions or grudges or personal preference to what is right or wrong.

that is more of what i intended , which would lead to the earlier statement.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
Face...

One of mankind's stupidest inventions...
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
yeah but it's an invention we cannot get rid of.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote