REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Paying Canadian Income Tax on Foreign Earnings

just wondering if anyone here can help me.

monthly, union issued cheque comes with US federal and state income taxes deducted already. cheque is cashed into an american currency savings account at a canadian financial institution. has been for a few years.

in the past, these earnings were declared as income on my canadian tax return, and as such, taxed again by CRA. however, i am not an american citizen and therefore, do not file income tax in usa. do BOTH taxes REALLY have to be paid on this income? if so, why? and if not, which one is exempt/refundable?
Advertisement

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rickster View Post
just wondering if anyone here can help me.

monthly, union issued cheque comes with US federal and state income taxes deducted already. cheque is cashed into an american currency savings account at a canadian financial institution. has been for a few years.

in the past, these earnings were declared as income on my canadian tax return, and as such, taxed again by CRA. however, i am not an american citizen and therefore, do not file income tax in usa. do BOTH taxes REALLY have to be paid on this income? if so, why? and if not, which one is exempt/refundable?
Before I begin to assist you with your question, my caveat is that this information is provided on the basis that I did not do any research directly into the Income Tax Act and that I relied solely on the information that you provided. Accordingly, you are advised to seek paid-professional advice to suit your individual circumstances.

Canadians residents are taxed on their worldwide income. Yes, in some instances, you are subject to double-taxation if the two tax authorities do not have tax treaties. However, Canada and the US have tax treaties between them whereby a Canadian tax payer, having paid income taxes in the US on US earned income, are eligible to receive non-refundable tax credits on their Canadian T1 in an amount equal to the income taxes paid on their US Form 1040.

Therefore, if you've paid $1000 in income taxes in the US, you will (and should) receive $1000 non-refundable tax credit on your Canadian T1 to be applied against your taxes payable.

Bear in mind though that Canadian income tax rates are generally higher in Canada than in the US. For example, you earned $10,000 of income in the US and paid $1,000 (10%) of income taxes on that income. However, in Canada, the tax rate might be 20%; therefore, that same $10,000 of income earned in Canada would have cost you $2,000 in income taxes. Applying the $1,000 credit to the $2,000 that you would have paid in Canada means that you still owe the Canadian government another $1,000 in income taxes on the same source of income. Consequently, most people have the misperception that they are being double-taxed when in fact they're just getting taxed more by virtue of Canada's higher income tax rates.

Your tax preparer should be made aware that you earn US income so that they can claim the US paid income taxes as tax credits on your Canadian T1.

Hope that helps.

Jimmy
adrnlnrush00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #3

wow. jimmy that is a great help. my accountant is aware of the origin of the earnings, but for some reason it just seems like i'm paying an exorbitant amount of taxes on this income each year. that being said, i'm not sure if he's applied this tax credit. if not, can we go back to the start of these earnings and apply it (started midway through 2006)?

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
Old 01-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #4

Quote:
wow. jimmy that is a great help. my accountant is aware of the origin of the earnings, but for some reason it just seems like i'm paying an exorbitant amount of taxes on this income each year. that being said, i'm not sure if he's applied this tax credit. if not, can we go back to the start of these earnings and apply it (started midway through 2006)?
You can always complete a T1ADJ (ADJ = adjustment) for each year in which you would like to make adjustments to a previously filed and assessed tax return.

Jimmy
Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

I spoke with my CA and what you suggested is exactly what he does, but like you said, the Canadian income taxes are higher so I'm still having to
pay on that income, even with the credits. thanks for all your help.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
I spoke with my CA and what you suggested is exactly what he does, but like you said, the Canadian income taxes are higher so I'm still having to
pay on that income, even with the credits. thanks for all your help.
Posted via RS Mobile
no problem, I'm happy that I can be of assistance.

Jimmy
Posted via RS Mobile