REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   So my car got broken into... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/601552-so-my-car-got-broken-into.html)

flawless 01-04-2010 03:38 AM

So my car got broken into...

I drive a 94 civic and my car was broken into a couple hours ago. I had parked in front of my friends house by 54th and Selkirk. They only took my ipod which I don't care too much about (just sucks cuz I had it left under my seat) but now I have to deal with a broken window (passenger side).

Now what I want to know is how much approximately does it cost to replace it? I'm guessing my best option is to pay the $300 deductible. If the window itself is cheaper, then I'll just get my dad's friend to fix it.

Thanks guys

!SG 01-04-2010 05:16 AM

$300 deductible. does not affect your insurance.

however the ipod was not "bolted" down so thus, if u want to claim it, it will probably be considered under house insurance, which most house insurance starts around 500 deductible minimum (actually most is around 1000 now)

godwin 01-04-2010 05:28 AM

Since civic is a dim a dozen.. if you want to diy.. call the local junkyards.. they will have a glass in stock and will probably be cheaper than the deductible.

nns 01-04-2010 09:24 AM

If you bought your Ipod with a credit card, your CC insurance may cover the loss. That is assuming you still have the receipt and CC bill for the time you bought the Ipod.

fliptuner 01-04-2010 10:24 AM

Are you capable of taking your door panel off? Because other than that, only 2 bolts hold your window to the track. I can't see anyone ask more than $100 for the glass. The job takes less than an hour.

Mr.Jay 01-04-2010 10:42 AM

glass is cheaper than the 3 bills u would have to surrender over to ICBC

hirevtuner 01-04-2010 11:23 AM

just don't leave shit when you're not in your car
lesson learned

nns 01-04-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirevtuner (Post 6754248)
just don't leave shit when you're not in your car
lesson learned

I doubt they broke into his car because they saw an Ipod, since he said the Ipod was under his seat.

Lesson learned, learn to read.

Jsunu 01-04-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 6754351)
I doubt they broke into his car because they saw an Ipod, since he said the Ipod was under his seat.

Lesson learned, learn to read.

I am pretty sure he is just indicating that you shouldn't leave shit in your car (irregardless if they instigate the theft or not) if you do not want things stolen. He made no mention of the fact that the ipod was the factor in the theft.

flawless 01-04-2010 02:33 PM

Thanks for the replies. I went to Mitchell Island to purchase the glass for $80.

Of course I know not to leave valuables in the car and I never do. It just so happened I forgot about it and now I have to deal with the consequences. I doubt that they saw the ipod (old one anyways) and thus broke into my car. Call it shitty luck or whatever.

Thanks for the help

nns 01-04-2010 02:34 PM

Maybe I read it differently.

Here's what I gathered:
-OP lost 2 things in the break-in: a window, and an Ipod
-he's not looking for advice on how to prevent his car from being broken into
-hirevtuner is insinuating that the OP must have left something of value out in the open that made his car a target, when the OP said he only lost an Ipod

I don't buy hirevtuner's "advice" as anything but a thoughtless remark. Anybody and everybody already knows you shouldn't leave valuables out in the open. Leaving BS advice like this in a thread is like spitting on somebody's face after the fact; it's completely unnecessary.

But as I said, maybe I read it differently.

flawless 01-04-2010 02:43 PM

nns: You have it right. I had a feeling I would get a remark like that regardless of what I stated in the original post but it's not a big deal. I made this thread looking for some info and got what I needed. Thanks

fliptuner 01-04-2010 03:37 PM

BTW, PW or manual crank?

4444 01-04-2010 04:37 PM

feel the pain, got my brand new to me car (really nice car) on dec 31, i discovered yesterday that some arse hat smashed my sunroof, went through my stuff, taking NOTHING and left

they hit 5 cars in my underground (yaletown)

didn't take my V1, though... which is nice - obviously crack heads... i'm sick to my stomach, just wish i'd caught them in the middle of doing it, i'd have broken both of their arms, no joke

hk20000 01-04-2010 07:15 PM

there are just certain models out there that petty thieves like to target at. Next time buy a car that's not considered high risk by ICBC.

there's a certain % chance that a car thief is stealing something
but there's also a certain % chance that your car gets targeted.

So if you can drop the second chance to almost nil it won't matter where you park it.

Inaii 01-04-2010 07:21 PM

That sucks :( my car got broken into mid-december, only thing they took was some weed that was in the ashtray. buggered up the lock though. sigh.

Mr.Jay 01-04-2010 10:48 PM

worst case for me was when my family 1st moved to the vancouver house we live in now and well what do you know the 1st night we moved into the new house all our cars get broken into and worst thing was I didnt even lock my door cause I had gotten use to living in delta and yet the smashed my window

yamahar6 01-04-2010 11:01 PM

that's got to suck, i know how you feel, police just recovered my SUV, went to the impound lot discovered that the thieves took my front end, my rims, and my COMPLETE interior, all that was left was dash skin and a freaking school chair!

orange7 01-04-2010 11:26 PM

:idea: Hey I know! Why don't you try breaking out of the car to reverse the process of it being broken into?

Cman333 01-05-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flawless (Post 6753983)
I drive a 94 civic and my car was broken into a couple hours ago. I had parked in front of my friends house by 54th and Selkirk. They only took my ipod which I don't care too much about (just sucks cuz I had it left under my seat) but now I have to deal with a broken window (passenger side).

Now what I want to know is how much approximately does it cost to replace it? I'm guessing my best option is to pay the $300 deductible. If the window itself is cheaper, then I'll just get my dad's friend to fix it.

Thanks guys

I had a similar situation long time ago. Friends 93 civic coupe driver window got smashed. Was like $150 or something to replace the window. Some chinese place did it. I'm quite certain it would be less than the deductible.

Just odd that in that area someone would do a smash and grab. Is your civic flashy at all?

TheSalesman 01-05-2010 04:46 PM

Just to clarify, If glass is the only damage, deductible is $200 and not $300.

cho 01-05-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 6756377)
Just to clarify, If glass is the only damage, deductible is $200 and not $300.

if its cracked/chipped its 200
if its broken is 300

flawless 01-05-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cman333 (Post 6756359)
I had a similar situation long time ago. Friends 93 civic coupe driver window got smashed. Was like $150 or something to replace the window. Some chinese place did it. I'm quite certain it would be less than the deductible.

Just odd that in that area someone would do a smash and grab. Is your civic flashy at all?

Yeah, I didn't think it would happen in that area at all.

No my civic is completely stock. Nothing that would stand out of the ordinary.

TheSalesman 01-05-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 6756461)
if its cracked/chipped its 200
if its broken is 300

ahhh i see. You learn something new everyday! :thumbsup:

c32 01-21-2011 08:43 PM

thought i should bump thread this as a reminder not to leave shit in car... some fuckers smashed my window last night and my seat is soaked... also had my ipod takin and a bunch of change... whoever did it was smart enough not to open the door otherwise it woulda set off the alarm... damn i coulda bought some nike shocks with that 300 deductable.. this all hapened in the south vancouver area... fuckin junkies man... my change was in the ash trey but was closed, also ipod was in armrest that was closed... i did have an ipod wire stickin out of my deck though... but it wasnt connected to the ipod... happned in my back drive way too i geuss this time i parked to close to the alley..