REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Talking Bret the Hitman Hart and the WWE

so i just turned my tv on and WWE monday night was randomly on tv, i saw bret the hitman hart go inside the ring with Shawn michaels and then they had a truce and huged it out LOL

you might think this is a little bit gay but if you watched wrestling back in the 90's you know that this is a big deal considering how vince McMahon screwed the hitman out of his championship belt at survivor series.. and how he had a big ass real life feud with shawn michaels back in the day

just thought u guys would like to know.. BACK in the day when wrestling was still good

*edit oh and if u tune it right now theres 2 chicks fighting LOL
Advertisement
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

i wanna hear some "sweet chin music"...hahaha
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
you should be watching TNA with the 3hr show and Hogan being back!!!

Man Brett must be hurting for cash to come back.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
i wanna hear some "sweet chin music"...hahaha
ya they made it look like he was about ot sweet chi music him LOl but then he went for a hug
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

this brings me back to my childhood haha. i remember watching the montreal screwjob on ppv and being pissed.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Man Brett must be hurting for cash to come back.
+1
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,037 Times in 94 Posts

That is not REAL wrastling
Amped is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
i remember that match pretty clearly lol. total bs, but to brett for spitting in mcmahon's face back then.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Don't forget Bret punching Vince in the face backstage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrestling_with_Shadows

I still remember Bret Hart vs. The Patriot, AKA Canada vs USA. I hated The Patriot so much.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,279 Times in 1,634 Posts
cool, never knew about that documentary.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

tna show was better, wwe's shit is so sad these days... yet I can't stop watching it . Nothing else to watch on mondays
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #12
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

watch the documentary:

bret hart: wrestling with shadows

it has a really good behind the scenes take on WWE and wrestling in general. its a good nostalgic video too
Drizzt Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
tna show was better, wwe's shit is so sad these days... yet I can't stop watching it . Nothing else to watch on mondays
lol i fall asleep watching their stupid shit now, whether its smackdown or raw
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
The famous Montreal Screwjob..
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
The Best there is,
The Best there was,
And the Best there ever will be.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #16
I don't get it

Anyone else shed a little tear seeing bret burying the hatchet with shawn?
bayee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
props to TNA for making WWE get Bret back
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #18
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
That was awesome

If you haven't seen it yet, you have to watch Wrestling With Shadows. It's posted here
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2010, 03:13 AM   #19
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
now i don kno if the hart/HBK stuff is real or not, but regardless, its sorta great to see the "truce"

but the end of the show sorta pissed me off to see Bret sink to low levels such as letting Vince McMahon kick him after the great speech he made.

If that was real, which is doubt, then well, theres really nothing i can say, if it was jobbed that Vince would kick Bret, then well, Bret just slapped EVERY SINGLE old school wrestling fan back in the 90s with that garbage.

I did hear that Bret will be back in the WWE in the coming months as he agreed on a contract for 3months with a limited number of appearances. So we can only hope theres more to it than tonight.

As for what I think of Bret. He deserves some sort of recognition from Canada for being the one guy along with Stu Hart to lead a movement of Canadians into the wrestling business.

The WWE may be phoney and fake, but the skills in the ring is all real and requires alot of training and the Hart family did a great job in bringing up talent into the wrestling world.

Bret will always be "Captain Canada" in the wrestling business and will continue to lead the way no matter what happens between him and the WWE

In regards to people talkin trash bout Hart desperate for money, He was one of the top paid talents in the WWE durin his time along with Time Warner throwing ridiculous amounts of US cash into his favor. Hes got a few investments to keep him funded till he's dead.

Im a big Bret Hart fan to this day, so i've read some stuff on this. I believe he's a regular at Flames games and of course I believe he still has his stake in the Hitmen
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #20
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Audio isn't synced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEqxsuUJCVs
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #21
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

"bret hart screwed over bret hart"

"but what if he shot ya in the face?"
mr sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
now i don kno if the hart/HBK stuff is real or not, but regardless, its sorta great to see the "truce"

but the end of the show sorta pissed me off to see Bret sink to low levels such as letting Vince McMahon kick him after the great speech he made.

If that was real, which is doubt, then well, theres really nothing i can say, if it was jobbed that Vince would kick Bret, then well, Bret just slapped EVERY SINGLE old school wrestling fan back in the 90s with that garbage. \
Bret Hart will be with WWE until WrestleMania this year. Tonight was just the beginning of an epic storyline

To clarify, nothing was 'real' about tonight, except some inside comments. I'm pretty sure Shawn's speech was 'real' though, since he has changed a lot since 1997.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:54 AM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I still dont know what is "real" in WWE - especially with backstage stories. It was a pretty lame attempt in the past when Brett Hart tried to gain "Canadian Patriotism"
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #24
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Bret Hart will be with WWE until WrestleMania this year. Tonight was just the beginning of an epic storyline

To clarify, nothing was 'real' about tonight, except some inside comments. I'm pretty sure Shawn's speech was 'real' though, since he has changed a lot since 1997.
watched the documentary, i remember watching this a few years back, anyways, i looked up wikipedia, and came to a conclusion.

Bret Hart jobbed to Vince tonight(or last nite), so yea, i feel pretty disgusted.

once again, Vince McMahon and the powers to be have done an amazing job to MARKET the WWE.

I guess this is why the Trump has mentioned off the record that Vince is a great friend and for sure one of the smartest business men to walk corporate america. Re-invention is key and he can for sure do this right.

sad to say, that he is the only living member of the Hart Foundation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
I still dont know what is "real" in WWE - especially with backstage stories. It was a pretty lame attempt in the past when Brett Hart tried to gain "Canadian Patriotism"
Bret had to do it, it was one of Vince's way of Re-invention. Vince knew how to manage the WWF/E by doing the good ol "my way or the highway" route when treating wrestlers and making sure that the creative control of the company will always be in his hands. Watch "The Rise and Fall of WCW" and you will understand why Vince eventually won. the likes of Hogan, Nash, Scott Hall and other "jumpers" were given the money and the creative control that it eventually brought down the very existence of WCW. The documentary i mentioned isnt the greatest, as i believe it was very biased, but it was decent none the less.

I guess the next few months will be interesting with Bret Hart in the picture. As I mentioned above, I'm pretty disgusted so I most likely will not watch. The WWE has been losing momentum to TNA, but guess what, Hogan, Nash, Sting, Xpac, Kurt Angle are all over there.

Last edited by Tim Budong; 01-05-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #25

I thought I would do a quick Cole's Notes version of what happened in 97. I just read Dave Meltzer's epic writeup of the events, and watched Wrestling With Shadows today, so it will be accurate. But you will only really get a full understanding if you read Meltzer's article.

-1996, Bret Hart (and The Undertaker) were WWF's top wrestlers by a wide margin, since most of there other guys were hired by WCW to huge contracts. They are killing WWF in ratings every week.
-Stone Cold and The Rock were unheard of by this point. Shawn Michaels was just coming up as a star. The 'attitude era' hadn't started fully yet
-Bret's contract is up, and he is contacted by WCW. They offer him a huge deal to sign with them, but WWF counters, knowing they really don't have anyone else at the time.
-In loyalty to Vince (who Bret legit sees as a father figure), he signs with WWF again. But the deal is huge - 20 years (only 2 or 3 were to be as an active wrestler, with the remainder working as a WWF official), and other things like creative control over his character, and the ability to shoot a documentary with all rights to WWE footage (this is the only reason Wrestling With Shadows happened - perfect timing!)
-Several months later, Vince tells Bret that they can't afford to pay him what they agreed upon. He asks Bret to take a 50% paycut for now, and get an increased salary later in his contract.
-During this time, the Attitude Era begins. Bret becomes a heel (something he objected to, but they made it so he could still be a huge babyface in Canada and Europe),and Stone Cold becomes a huge star. DeGeneration X starts doing their offensive antics, a lot of storylines are based on racism, sexism, homophobia. Bret doesn't like the new direction the show is going, doesn't let his kids watch anymore.
-Bret ponders whether he should leave, until the very last day he had to decide. Even then, he asked for an extension, but it could not be given. He has to decide right away.
-Also during this time, tensions are rising with Bret and Shawn. They don't get along well together at all (not many people could get along with 1997 Shawn Michaels, except other assholes, I guess). Two huge egos, who refused to do 'the job' to anyone, especially each other.
-Vince basically "convinces" Bret to leave, by informing him of the direction they were going to take his character. In essence, he told him that he'd be jobbing to Michaels over and over again.
-Bret finally decides to leave WWF and signs with WCW. He is still champion at this time.
-That Survivor Series and Raw were to be his last appearances on WWF. In fact, he was actually under contract with WCW at the time, who agreed to let him stay for an extra week to finish things up.
-Vince is paranoid about Bret being with WCW, where they would legally be allowed to proclaim it on TV. In other words, if Bret was still champion on Sunday night after his match with Michaels, WCW could say that they have the WWF world champion on their roster. There is a history of them doing things like this, including having the WWF womens champion throw the title in the garbage on WCW TV.
-Bret promised nothing like that would happen. They agreed that the PPV match would end in DQ, and he would vacate the title on Raw the next night, and leave WWF with his "head held high".
-Vince agreed to this, and even planned how it would happen. The ref would take a bump, and Shawn would put Bret in the Sharpshooter. Bret would reverse it, and everyone would jump in causing a DQ.
-Other wrestlers warned Bret not to put himself in a position to get screwed. In the carny days of wrestling, screwjobs were common. It was less common now, but still possible
-Being very close friends with Earl Hebner, the ref, Bret felt confident that nothing would happen.
-Turns out he was wrong. Earl took the bump, Shawn put Bret in the sharpshooter, Earl was told to get up early, and was told to call the match as if Bret had submitted.
-Shawn acted upset, but has since admitted that he knew what was going on. Earl got the fuck out of dodge, straight to a hotel where he awaited a ride directly out of Canada.
-Bret spit on Vince, as we all know. Everyone got out of the ring, and Bret destroyed some monitors. As his friends calmed him down, he spelled out "WCW" to the fans.
-Backstage, Shawn was denying everything, you can see it on the documentary. Eventually the cameras left the room, leaving Bret, his crew, Shawn, Vince, and his goons in the room alone. HHH was outside getting chewed out by Bret's wife (the look of guilt on his face is hilarious).
-Bret sucker punched Vince HARD. Knocked him silly to the point where he couldn't get back up. They dragged Vince out (in the process stepping on his ankle - you can see him limping out of the room in the documentary).
-Bret went on to WCW, where they completely screwed up with him (like they do with everyone else who isn't Hogan or his buddies).
-WWF went on to turn this into a storyline, making Vince the 'evil chairman' we all know and love to hate. This was the beginning of Vince vs Stone Cold, which turned the industry around completely, made WWF ridiculously successful.
-WCW eventually got run into the ground by mismanagement that you literally would not believe.

That's the Cole's Notes version. Probably missing about 75% of the story, but you get the basic idea now

EDIT: For more details (but still not as much as in the Observer), check out the Wiki on the subject.
This post thanked by: