REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 01-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Walking to duty free at the border

Just over this holiday friends and I wento the states.
Entered from peace arch lane.
Without a doubt, there was a long wait.
I got out of the car and walked backwards to the washroom thats a concrete round shaped building. Since the duty free shops was just right across, I walked over to buy some drinks and food at the mini bar inside of the duty free shop. I know not to buy anything else so I might get busted at the border.

Same day, on the way back. We crossed the canadian border and someone had to use the washroom. So we stopped the car at the resting area, I led them to the same washroom I went to.

Then I wondered, would it be okay to buy booze and smoke just like I did in the morning then get back in the car and drive home?

Any ideas?
Advertisement
miky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

yes! i have the same question

at the truck crossing into the states, the duty free shop have very cheap smokes. 2 for like 100 bucks

i wanna get some for my dad, but just want to know if its okay to drive and park at the parking lot beside the shop, walk in, buy some cigarettes and go home.

You cannot reverse or go back out of the duty free shop cause at the entrance they have these one way spikes, to pop your tires if you try to get out.

sorry to hijack, but i think we have the same question.

anyone clarify
EmOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

If you cross the border to buy the cigarettes, then you'll get raped on the taxes on the way back. (i.e. you'll probably pay the same as you pay locally) You have zero exemption on a <24 hour trip. That's assuming the clerk will even sell it to you since they'll more than likely ask you if you've been out of the country for more than 48 hours.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
If you cross the border to buy the cigarettes, then you'll get raped on the taxes on the way back. (i.e. you'll probably pay the same as you pay locally) You have zero exemption on a <24 hour trip. That's assuming the clerk will even sell it to you since they'll more than likely ask you if you've been out of the country for more than 48 hours.
I am not crossing the border to buy cigs.
I AM on the canadian side buying cigs from our own duty free shop.
The only place Im crossing by walking is the two roads entering peace arch, and exiting peace arch.
miky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miky View Post
I am not crossing the border to buy cigs.
I AM on the canadian side buying cigs from our own duty free shop.
The only place Im crossing by walking is the two roads entering peace arch, and exiting peace arch.
Oh, OK. I think in that case they might not sell the items to you (or they'd sell it at full price will all the taxes, duties, etc tacked on)

Every time I've bought booze at the US Duty Free they've always asked me if I've been out of the country for more than 48 hours and then swiped my passport. I heard the Canadian side asks for your license plate number. I'd call them to check but my guess is that they'll probably won't sell anything to you if you're not planning to head over the border.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

My buddy wanted to buy smokes but missed the exit when coming back from the states so he tried to buy some at the Duty free on the Canadian side.

He was denied. They asked for his license plate number.
If it is Canadian, they won't sell it to you since your are coming back from the states.
All products must be bought from opposite ends and visa-versa (to my knowledge)

Funny thing was, the point of the trip was to buy smokes in the first place. lol
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

When that duty free shop was first built, it didn't even have the one way spikes on the ground. You could just drive in then drive right back home after buying. I thought about doing it...but I was lazy. haha