REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   Paint Job! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/601898-paint-job.html)

european 01-07-2010 07:56 AM

Paint Job!

Hello,

So I've been saving up some money and I believe I am ready to paint my car.
I really need one. Instead of being the original 1997 San Marino Red on my Prelude it's turning pink and there are some nice white spots. I've tried getting it detailed but not much has improved the paint.

I was hoping some fellow revscene members might be able to point me in the right direction of where to get the car painted the original colour that it was. I know it might not be exactly the same but as close as possible to OEM. I believe the colour is R-94.

Also... I was wondering if I were to take off the headlights, tail lights, side skirts, front and rear bumpers, along with the front and rear lip, would I save some money on that? Then the shop can just sand and spray on the new paint? Due to the cold weather conditions we are having during this time of year is it even alright to paint a car? Just thought I'd ask to be sure/safe.

Anyways, if someone can recommend a good, trust worthy shop or two please let me know! I would like to get this done pretty soon.

Thanks
Mike
:thumbsup:

dixjai 01-07-2010 10:01 PM

if you gona do the whole car....you dont have to worry about color matching...a good shop will have the paint mix to the precise formula of which the oem paint is...and it should turn out to be the same color as the original...
you dont really want to take the parts off yourself....its gona be like a 5 min job for them anyways....i dont think they will take stuff off for the paint job anyways unless you are going serisous and paint the car inside out....they are just probably gona mask it off

european 01-09-2010 03:33 PM

Well whether they mask it off or not, I would like the car finished properly. As if the car came straight from the factory or atleast as close as possible. I just don't want to see the nice new paint on one side but you can clearly see the pink on the other.
Still looking for a shop. Any recommendations?

european 04-17-2010 08:37 AM

So can anyone recommend a good shop? The colour of the car is starting to turn pink with some crazy white spots...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...whitespots.jpg

G-spec 04-17-2010 10:12 AM

yea it looks like your clearcoat is disappearing, I'd get that paint job soon you don't want all this rain we have getting to the metal parts and rusting any of it.

I PM'd you a place that will help you out, check your messages.

YK86 04-17-2010 01:33 PM

I removed everything myself (bumpers, headlights, tailights, mouldings, mirrors, weatherstrip, handles, mud flap, grill, spoiler, etc) and saved a lot. Anything that was important I removed once I got to the paint shop (like bumpers and lights).

I prefer my car being painted properly instead of taping off stuff. Removing everything took me a good 4 hours plus another 2 at the shop. This is on my Accord so your Prelude should be somewhat similar. There is a lot of stuff to remove and the shop appreciated it as well as it makes life easier for them and they can do a cleaner job. It's the little things that make it frustrating (like there's a rubber gasket that goes around the door handle, you don't want that painted). I also reinstalled everything myself as well.

!Aznboi128 04-17-2010 01:38 PM

^ how much did that cost you?

KIMBOSLICE 04-28-2010 08:42 PM

looks like your car is oxidizing ..you probably dont have to repaint the whole car..unless its all over your whole car..you could just grab some paper and learn how to paint :P
I painted my 97 myself turned out pretty good however i have painting experience.. You live and you learn !

european 04-28-2010 08:48 PM

Its mainly the hood, roof, trunk and both bumpers. Bumpers just have a few scratches and little nicks here and there. The hood, roof, and trunk lid are most likely oxidizing changing a colour from red to pinkish/light red. The white spots are only on the roof so far.