REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech

Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech This forum is brought to you by RPM Electronics in Burnaby.
Discussion about modifying your auotomotive lighting, retrofits, auto body, share projects, ideas, etc.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Paint Job!

Hello,

So I've been saving up some money and I believe I am ready to paint my car.
I really need one. Instead of being the original 1997 San Marino Red on my Prelude it's turning pink and there are some nice white spots. I've tried getting it detailed but not much has improved the paint.

I was hoping some fellow revscene members might be able to point me in the right direction of where to get the car painted the original colour that it was. I know it might not be exactly the same but as close as possible to OEM. I believe the colour is R-94.

Also... I was wondering if I were to take off the headlights, tail lights, side skirts, front and rear bumpers, along with the front and rear lip, would I save some money on that? Then the shop can just sand and spray on the new paint? Due to the cold weather conditions we are having during this time of year is it even alright to paint a car? Just thought I'd ask to be sure/safe.

Anyways, if someone can recommend a good, trust worthy shop or two please let me know! I would like to get this done pretty soon.

Thanks
Mike
Advertisement

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

if you gona do the whole car....you dont have to worry about color matching...a good shop will have the paint mix to the precise formula of which the oem paint is...and it should turn out to be the same color as the original...
you dont really want to take the parts off yourself....its gona be like a 5 min job for them anyways....i dont think they will take stuff off for the paint job anyways unless you are going serisous and paint the car inside out....they are just probably gona mask it off
dixjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
I LIKE JDM!!

Well whether they mask it off or not, I would like the car finished properly. As if the car came straight from the factory or atleast as close as possible. I just don't want to see the nice new paint on one side but you can clearly see the pink on the other.
Still looking for a shop. Any recommendations?

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
I LIKE JDM!!

So can anyone recommend a good shop? The colour of the car is starting to turn pink with some crazy white spots...

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
Old 04-17-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
yea it looks like your clearcoat is disappearing, I'd get that paint job soon you don't want all this rain we have getting to the metal parts and rusting any of it.

I PM'd you a place that will help you out, check your messages.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I removed everything myself (bumpers, headlights, tailights, mouldings, mirrors, weatherstrip, handles, mud flap, grill, spoiler, etc) and saved a lot. Anything that was important I removed once I got to the paint shop (like bumpers and lights).

I prefer my car being painted properly instead of taping off stuff. Removing everything took me a good 4 hours plus another 2 at the shop. This is on my Accord so your Prelude should be somewhat similar. There is a lot of stuff to remove and the shop appreciated it as well as it makes life easier for them and they can do a cleaner job. It's the little things that make it frustrating (like there's a rubber gasket that goes around the door handle, you don't want that painted). I also reinstalled everything myself as well.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ how much did that cost you?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

looks like your car is oxidizing ..you probably dont have to repaint the whole car..unless its all over your whole car..you could just grab some paper and learn how to paint :P
I painted my 97 myself turned out pretty good however i have painting experience.. You live and you learn !
KIMBOSLICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
I LIKE JDM!!

Its mainly the hood, roof, trunk and both bumpers. Bumpers just have a few scratches and little nicks here and there. The hood, roof, and trunk lid are most likely oxidizing changing a colour from red to pinkish/light red. The white spots are only on the roof so far.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio