REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Driving Over Fire Hoses

Imagine that you are a firefighter, hose in hand, approaching the flames inside a burning building. You open the nozzle on your attack line and...nothing. Someone has driven over the hose outside in the street and ruptured it causing a loss of pressure. Not only are you unable to fight the fire, you are at risk now too.

This imaginary driver is guilty of two traffic offences. The obvious one is driving over an unprotected fire hose without the permission of the fire department official in command. What you may not be aware of is that you are prohibited from driving or parking within 150 meters of fire apparatus that has stopped in answer to a fire alarm. This is also the minimum mandatory following distance that you must maintain from a fire vehicle answering an alarm.

During the initial attack at a fire scene, firefighters are focused on saving life and property. They do not have the time or the manpower to guide drivers over the fire hoses nor to watch out for you as you drive through their scene. The law makes it simple for drivers in these cases, don't go there, period.

These rules are aimed at insuring the safety of emergency crews and require you to either wait until police arrive for traffic direction or to find another way around the scene of the fire or fire alarm.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
As rare as this charge is, I remember actually seeing a conviction for this on a guy's driving history when running it before his court date. FYI...he lost his trial against my VT as well. The JP remarked on the fire hose conviction when I presented his history on conviction.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

who would be stupid enough to even try driving over a fire hose? i will go around a street if there is a hose on it.. more for courtesy to the firemen than anything else.... they are fighting a fire, last thing they need is my sorry ass bumbling on the scene
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Retired Traffic Cop

It happens more often than you would guess. This column was prompted by a newspaper story out of Keremeos lately where the volunteers at a house fire had problems with people driving over their hoses.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #5

and that's why i say that too many people don't use common sense.. just put yourself in their shoes for once and see how it feels...
Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

The 'Stay Back 150m' is no joke!

With that being said, you can't prevent stupid people.

It wouldn't be too hard to put some hose blocking on the trucks, takes 30 secs to throw on either side of the hose: problem solved.
kootenaydub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

The firefolk could install some sort of ramp system to permit driving over a protected hose without harming it but that would mean vehicles moving thru a fire scene and something else for them to have to watch out for. Having directed traffic thru/around literally hundreds of crash scenes over the years and watched at the idiot gawkers who pay absoloutely no attention to their driving, I wouldn't want that either.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Imagine that you are a firefighter, hose in hand, approaching the flames inside a burning building. You open the nozzle on your attack line and...nothing. Someone has driven over the hose outside in the street and ruptured it causing a loss of pressure. Not only are you unable to fight the fire, you are at risk now too.
im sorry skidmark, but i find that extremely hard to believe. i use firehoses and fire hydrants as much if not more then a firefighter does. we use the exact same fire hoses they use, and i have semi trucks/cars/trucks run over the hose at all times, not once has a hose ever ruptured, those things can take a beating!

and just for sh*ts and giggles, heres a pic of a fire hydrant i was playing with today.

stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Retired Traffic Cop

I'm only repeating what my research at various fire department web sites has taught me. I took it at face value as I felt they knew more about the situation than I did. I even managed to find a video on YouTube showing a hose rupture after someone drove over it.

A firefighter discussion forum talked about water hammer caused by the vehicle driving over the hose potentially damaging the pump as well.

Not saying you're wrong of course, as clearly you have experience that I don't.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
I'm only repeating what my research at various fire department web sites has taught me. I took it at face value as I felt they knew more about the situation than I did. I even managed to find a video on YouTube showing a hose rupture after someone drove over it.

A firefighter discussion forum talked about water hammer caused by the vehicle driving over the hose potentially damaging the pump as well.

Not saying you're wrong of course, as clearly you have experience that I don't.
oh okay, sorry, didnt think about pumps...in that case yes lol, the water hammer can easily blow a pump. i rarely use a pump, i just hook up straight to a hydrant with a hose...but i have had pumps blow lol
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #11

with my family being involved with the fire department... when the hose is under pressure with the pump, and those lines are run across the street. those lines are pressured up WAY higher than the 100+ PSI that the normal Municipal Plumbing is set at
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate here, not excusing people doing stupid things like driving over fire hoses, but wouldn't it be a good idea for the fire crews to, I don't know, BLOCK THE STREET as soon as they arrive, before there are any hoses even laid out?

I'm just sayin'...

(This reminds me of that scene from the first episode of Third Watch, where the fire crews arrive to find an SUV parked right in front of the hydrant blocking their access to it... so they smash out the windows and run the hose THROUGH the truck to the hydrant... owner comes out later to find the thing completely full of water from the spray )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #13

Sometimes due to the length of the run from the hydrant and the location of the house, they have no choice but to run a line across the street, and when somebodies house is going up in flames, you really dont have time to do all that stuff including blocking the street. it usually setup hoses, gather your equipment, plan of attack, and then fight the fire... the less steps that are involved the quicker they can get to saving property and lives.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,811 Times in 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
and just for sh*ts and giggles, heres a pic of a fire hydrant i was playing with today.

shell rd in richmond?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
(This reminds me of that scene from the first episode of Third Watch, where the fire crews arrive to find an SUV parked right in front of the hydrant blocking their access to it... so they smash out the windows and run the hose THROUGH the truck to the hydrant... owner comes out later to find the thing completely full of water from the spray)
I think they stole this one from Backdraft....I howled when I watched this.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
Sometimes due to the length of the run from the hydrant and the location of the house, they have no choice but to run a line across the street, and when somebodies house is going up in flames, you really dont have time to do all that stuff including blocking the street. it usually setup hoses, gather your equipment, plan of attack, and then fight the fire... the less steps that are involved the quicker they can get to saving property and lives.
How much planning could it possibly take to block a street with a fire truck? Drive down the yellow line, put it in park, problem solved.
Quote:
Old 01-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #17
RS Peace Officer

And the idiots will driver right around the truck. I was on duty in Pentiction and we had the road completely blocked at the north beach by the big hotel...barricades right across the road. I';m standing there next to my Harley, in full uniform, and I watched as a guy stopped his car at the baricade, got out, looked right at me & my flashing red & blue lights behind the baricade...then he moved the baricade aside, got back into his car & started to drive right towards me. He couldn't understand that the road was completely closed. He go a VT for disobey traffic control device and a second for failing to obey my directions. YES there are idiots among us. They usually show up to obstruct, annoy and endanger us at high risk sites. What part of road closed do you not understand sir?

Last edited by zulutango; 01-17-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:38 PM   #18

Well, there's only so much one can do - make something idiot-proof, and the universe will build a better idiot.

We get these same ones all the time when we're working new construction on fuel sites... usually at least one a week once the C-store building is up, one every couple days once the lights are on. The whole bloody site is surrounded by fences and littered with trades vehicles, the inside of the store crawling with workers, and some clown will drive on in, park in front of a pump, walk inside, and ask if they're open yet... some will even try to use the pump first before coming inside to ask if they can pre-pay.
Quote:
Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I've seen one where the C-lai driving a Mercedes wanted to turn left at the intersection, but the intersection was blocked and the officer held up his hand and told her to go right. Instead, she sat there and kept pointing that she had to turn left there. After the officer told her no, she went into the oncoming traffic lane to try to go around the officer and the roadblock to do the left turn. The officer went up to stop her and told her to pull over (he did let her finish her left turn though...haha) and got her to parallel park so he can give her a ticket. Took her so long that he eventually told her to just stop there (halfway in/out of the parking spot) and did his usual traffic stop stuff. It was hilarious. I was just walking on the street and standing around so I saw the whole thing happen. Some people just won't take no for an answer. The good news for her though was she did manage to do her left turn, a costly one though.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #20

^Cases like that are the REAL reason the TASER was invented.

"I need to go left!"
"You can't, the road is closed."
"I need to go left!"
"No, you have to go around the other way..."
"I need to go left!" <starts turning left>
*ZZZZZZZap!*
Quote:
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
I've seen one where the C-lai driving a Mercedes wanted to turn left at the intersection, but the intersection was blocked and the officer held up his hand and told her to go right. Instead, she sat there and kept pointing that she had to turn left there. After the officer told her no, she went into the oncoming traffic lane to try to go around the officer and the roadblock to do the left turn. The officer went up to stop her and told her to pull over (he did let her finish her left turn though...haha) and got her to parallel park so he can give her a ticket. Took her so long that he eventually told her to just stop there (halfway in/out of the parking spot) and did his usual traffic stop stuff. It was hilarious. I was just walking on the street and standing around so I saw the whole thing happen. Some people just won't take no for an answer. The good news for her though was she did manage to do her left turn, a costly one though.
Those c-lai can definitely afford the ticket. Would be cool if tickets were a % of total net assets.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote