REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-14-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Question about luggage

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong later in the year (October) and I've noticed that Seattle to Hong Kong is a good $500-$700 cheaper if I fly from Seattle. I'm seriously considering flying out of Seattle because of that.

A bunch of the flights from Seattle connect from Vancouver to Hong Kong. i.e. SEA -> YVR -> HKG

I know for the flight to Hong Kong I'll need to start off in Seattle. Am I able to get off at Vancovuer on the way back? HKG -> YVR -> get off -> pick up luggage -> go home?

I read on another forum that your checked in luggage goes straight from HKG to SEA and you can't pick it up from Vancouver. If that's the case then I'll be forced to go to Seattle and come back. If I CAN pick up my luggage in Vancouver then I'm obviously not going to take the final flight back to Seattle.

Will there be penalties if this happens? I don't fly much so any info would be appreciated!
Advertisement
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Ubereem Mod

from my understanding, whatever you plan your flights.
As in how they are booked, thats how the luggages get there, as in SEA > YVR > HKG. or vice versa. So yes the luggage does go from HKG to SEA.

As they are all stored, and dropped off via electronic distrubution (those tags on your luggage.) You won't be able to pick them up from YVR and leave. They don't do "manual drop offs." as I understand in your case.

So simply put, if your flights are HKG > SEA with a connector in YVR. you will need to pick up your luggage via seattle.

Edit: i'm also very very surprised your flight from Seattle would be cheaper then Van, Vancouver is either 1 or 2 in amuont of flights to HKG on the west coast. San Fran is the only one higher. My information might be dated, like good 3-4 years back.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
i like gifs

I just priced the trip on the exact same dates and Seattle is ~$500 cheaper
Old 01-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Ubereem Mod

have you tried an agent??

Oct last year cost me 900 through an agent
Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
have you tried an agent??

Oct last year cost me 900 through an agent
Haven't tried an agent yet but will be doing that soon.

Which agency did you go with? I'm gonna assume its a chinese one? There are so many of them that it's hard to pick haha
Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

no you cant pick up ur luggage in vancouver if your ticket is scheduled for hk > yvr > sea and you get off at yvr
Old 01-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Ubereem Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Haven't tried an agent yet but will be doing that soon.

Which agency did you go with? I'm gonna assume its a chinese one? There are so many of them that it's hard to pick haha
pretty much, I went with Jade.

you got so much time to pick and choose/wait for deals. I wouldn't even worry

Oct is slow season, anyways.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
pretty much, I went with Jade.

you got so much time to pick and choose/wait for deals. I wouldn't even worry

Oct is slow season, anyways.
I'm the kind of person that likes everything planned out

Makes it much easier to coordinate with friends as well cause there might be 5 or 6 of us going.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
i like gifs

Hmm....somebody just posted this

Quote:
Yes, that is partially true - the luggage is tagged to Seattle. However, the point is that when landing in Vancouver, the luggage will come out on the conveyor belt during the customs clearing process. You are actually required to retrieve the bag during the process and "re-check" the bag for onwards connection. If YVR is the ultimate destination, tHere is nothing to stop you from just walking out of the terminal building with the luggage once you have cleared customs.

Theoretically, if you want to go to Seattle, there is a connections desk right after clearing customs. THat is where you would drop off the luggage onwards to Seattle.
??
Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 AM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
^
Yup, this is true. Your luggage is screened again by Transport Canada or whatever you call those clowns at the airport who check your bags through security. There is nothing stopping you from connecting or leaving the terminal.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong later in the year (October) and I've noticed that Seattle to Hong Kong is a good $500-$700 cheaper if I fly from Seattle. I'm seriously considering flying out of Seattle because of that.

A bunch of the flights from Seattle connect from Vancouver to Hong Kong. i.e. SEA -> YVR -> HKG

I know for the flight to Hong Kong I'll need to start off in Seattle. Am I able to get off at Vancovuer on the way back? HKG -> YVR -> get off -> pick up luggage -> go home?

I read on another forum that your checked in luggage goes straight from HKG to SEA and you can't pick it up from Vancouver. If that's the case then I'll be forced to go to Seattle and come back. If I CAN pick up my luggage in Vancouver then I'm obviously not going to take the final flight back to Seattle.

Will there be penalties if this happens? I don't fly much so any info would be appreciated!
What dates were you searching?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
What dates were you searching?
Fri Oct 15 - Sat Nov 6
Old 01-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Fri Oct 15 - Sat Nov 6
No kidding just did a quick search and found the following. Price are tax inc.

YVR - HKG - $1243
SEA - HKG - $840

Old 01-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
RS Veteran

I'm just curious - if you were to fly out of Seattle, how would you get there? Drive down and do park and fly or have somebody drop you off? I guess an alternative is to take a shuttle bus/train. (This is directed to Ch28)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I'm just curious - if you were to fly out of Seattle, how would you get there? Drive down and do park and fly or have somebody drop you off? I guess an alternative is to take a shuttle bus/train. (This is directed to Ch28)
Still deciding on whether we'll be using Seatac Park (www.seatacpark.com/) or Quick Shuttle

Ex gf and I took the quick shuttle last time we flew out of Seatac and it was pretty good. It'll be cheaper to just do the Seatac Park if we carpool because it'll end up costing around $30-$40/person. Quick Shuttle will be close to $100/person but we don't have to deal with any of the driving there/back
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
RS Veteran

Not to rain on your parade or anything: just some food for thought.

Based on what winson604 posted (let's use his example) you are saving approximately $400 (lets just round it.)

If you are going for 15 days, the parking will cost you $70/week based on the weekly rate x 3 weeks = $210 USD for your 3 week duration, plus the time it takes you to get there and back (depending on how you value your time.) Personally, I would say that it is easier to fly out of YVR. But if you feel that the dollar/cost value is more important, than this works just as well. I used to fly out of SEA a lot and found that it was easier to fly out of YVR. Driving there and back, cost of gas, food etc. adds up. It works out to be about the same.

But that's just me. And only me.

Edit: And you are gambling with the price of those fares. They may be cheap now but if you wait and book later, it may or may not go up so it may be a constraint to your initial plan.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Pre-911 you might be able to, but post-911 things are different.

You are attached to your luggage and if you leave the secured area, then the flight doesn't leave until they find you.
And I am pretty sure they do not take your luggage off of the plane during the stop over. And if you are changing flights, checked-in luggage is taken to the next plane by the airport staff so you cannot get access to your luggage.

Flights from YVR cost more because of the high taxes we have to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #18

Quote:

Based on what winson604 posted (let's use his example) you are saving approximately $400 (lets just round it.)

If you are going for 15 days, the parking will cost you $70/week based on the weekly rate x 3 weeks = $210 USD for your 3 week duration, plus the time it takes you to get there and back (depending on how you value your time.) Personally, I would say that it is easier to fly out of YVR. But if you feel that the dollar/cost value is more important, than this works just as well. I used to fly out of SEA a lot and found that it was easier to fly out of YVR.

I agree with you.

We did a 2 week trip to Florida back in November, and the shuttle bus down was fine as it was in the day time.

On the way back, we had an early 6 am flight, and had to wait 3 hours at the airport for the bus as the plane landed at the same time the earlier bus left.

The 4 hour bus ride was very painfull as we didn't get enough sleep the night before, didn't sleep to well on the plane, and found it hard to sleep on the bus.

Next time, staying overnight in Seattle might be a better option.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
RS Veteran

^
Yeah, staying overnight in Seattle is a good option.

I did that on a recent trip to Los Angeles. I slept overnight at one of the airport hotels and scored a $40 hotel @ the Holiday Inn on Priceline.com But after parking fees, food, gas, the time to get there and back, it wasn't worth it. I should have flown out of YVR instead.

But again, most people don't factor time in and base their travel solely on the dollar value savings.

Oh, and yes, you're right about the transfer part. They won't take off until you get on the plane. Failing to show up can result in penalties and won't be all that much of a savings when you see the charge on your credit card statement.

Edit: SeaTac Airport is ghetto.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #20

Quote:

If you are going for 15 days, the parking will cost you $70/week based on the weekly rate x 3 weeks = $210 USD for your 3 week duration, plus the time it takes you to get there and back (depending on how you value your time.) Personally, I would say that it is easier to fly out of YVR. But if you feel that the dollar/cost value is more important, than this works just as well. I used to fly out of SEA a lot and found that it was easier to fly out of YVR. Driving there and back, cost of gas, food etc. adds up. It works out to be about the same.

Edit: And you are gambling with the price of those fares. They may be cheap now but if you wait and book later, it may or may not go up so it may be a constraint to your initial plan.
You read my mind for my next post. I definitely agree with Duckes on this one. We aren't talking about taking Alligiant Air flying out of Bellingham with a cheap parking rate and 30-40 min drive only. This is Seattle we're talking about. The 2-3 hours in each direction alone is a huge turn off especially taking such a long flight like Hong Kong. I don't know about you but as soon as I come back from a trip I wanna get home ASAP let alone after a 10+ hour flight. I mean if you're going with lets say your gf then fine together you save $800 so it might be more worth while but I know I would still fly out of YVR lol.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
You read my mind for my next post. I definitely agree with Duckes on this one. We aren't talking about taking Alligiant Air flying out of Bellingham with a cheap parking rate and 30-40 min drive only. This is Seattle we're talking about. The 2-3 hours in each direction alone is a huge turn off especially taking such a long flight like Hong Kong. I don't know about you but as soon as I come back from a trip I wanna get home ASAP let alone after a 10+ hour flight. I mean if you're going with lets say your gf then fine together you save $800 so it might be more worth while but I know I would still fly out of YVR lol.
It's not even that cheap to park at Bellingham. I think it is $9 per day. So say you are gone for a week, that is $63 USD.

SeaTac is worse. And you are totally right about wanting to get home ASAP after a 12 hour flight. Not to mention, depending on what time the plane lands, you might be too fatigued to safely make the 3 hour drive home from Seattle, and there is still the border wait.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-17-2010, 01:38 PM   #22
RS Veteran

^
Yeah, Bellingham isn't that cheap when you do all the math. For a short trip, sure but even then, you're very limited to where you go and who you fly with. SeaTac - Man, I already have problems being on a plane for an hour, nevermind a flight to HK.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #23
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Most likely that price will decrease.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
It's not even that cheap to park at Bellingham. I think it is $9 per day. So say you are gone for a week, that is $63 USD.

SeaTac is worse. And you are totally right about wanting to get home ASAP after a 12 hour flight. Not to mention, depending on what time the plane lands, you might be too fatigued to safely make the 3 hour drive home from Seattle, and there is still the border wait.
Actually yea you're right. I keep thinking cheap because by far the most popular trip to take from Alligiant is Vegas and that's usually like 4 days of parking. $9/day over 2+ weeks sure does add up.

Dukes - Fo sho mang even a flight to Vegas is enough for me let alone anything longer. YVR or nothing for me.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #25
i like gifs

http://www.seatacpark.com/savings.aspx

$150 to park there for a month. We'll be gone for 3 weeks so it averages out to be ~$37.5/person if the other 2 are confirmed to go.

I do understand where you guys are coming from though. Family friends had flights back to HK last summer for ~$700 something so hopefully prices go down closer to that since October is suppose to be a slow time for them.

Darthchilli just flew back to HK for $1040 tax in with Cathay Pacific from YVR so that's not too bad.