REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources

Toyota / Lexus Tech Resources All Toyota & Lexus Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

problem with steering

hey guys i got an is300 not to long ago. there has always been this little problem with the steering but i actualy like it.. so sometimes the steering wheel doesnt turn all the way back straight whilte im doing some turns, it would go back to the straight position most of the time, sometimes it just stops at a quarter of a turn(a quarter of a full circle) and jus stay there so i would have move the steering wheel back, steering would also feel very loose but i like it loose, less effort to turn the wheel not sure if its suposed to be lose... i looked in the steering fluid resevoir befor and its pretty dark, was suposed to change the fluid but never did.
so the bigger issue i have now is that it would squeek while im turning the wheel and only when the wheel is being turned, i would get this awful squeek kinda like nails on chalk board but more automotive sounding. i remember it would squeek when i turn the wheel in park just warming up the car but wouldnt make the noise after i warmed up car and left the driveway, but that is only when i coldstart up the car in the morning, never when im driving. also the springs or whatever is makin squeeking noises when i gas/brake... it never make the noise this bad.

car is 2001 is300, is something wrong with the steering rack?
Advertisement
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Could be a multitude of things.. best take it to a shop to get it looked at if you don't have the shop manual.. but I would say it is one of the bearings on the steering wheel column.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

by the sounds of it, sounds it could be the power steering pump, pressure switch or something else. if you bought the car not too long ago, any warranty?
Hyper_night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

no warrenty on it
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

could be a rack seal or the pump?
keyboardcomando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
i dont want to disrespect your knowledge of cars but could that squeaking possibly be a worn out fan belt? and the wheel not turning back all the way could just be your caster or it actually might be related to the belt, get it changed... im sure it cant be that much
duy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
thanks you bumped an old thread.