REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Cursive Writing/Reading (https://www.revscene.net/forums/603753-cursive-writing-reading.html)

twitchyzero 01-23-2010 09:26 PM

Cursive Writing/Reading

brain fart...and it didn't seem appropriate in VOT

but it seems like people in our generation don't seem to write in cursive at all, and never will for that matter.

I still remember in elementary school they got us to write in cursive but that was pretty much the only time i utilized it.

truth? false?

I feel the same way about reading, I never read recreationally and during free-time cause I feel that textbooks reading was enough to occupy my time starting from high school and I think surfing the internet and reading blogs/forums/news pretty much subsitute any novel reading (well I'll try not to surf RS too much 'cause the english here is horrible).

Wykydtron 01-23-2010 09:28 PM

I write in cursive. Faster than printing for me.

TOS'd 01-23-2010 09:42 PM

I write way slower in cursive lol. But I also combine a little bit of it in my printing so its faster.

Razor Ramon HG 01-23-2010 09:48 PM

The only time I use cursive is for my signature.

Cereal Killer 01-23-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 6784790)
The only time I use cursive is for my signature.

+1

Although, I notice that when I print, I have a tendency to not lift my pen/pencil off the paper entirely, or at all, so my words have a bit of a cursive touch to them. :p

miss_crayon 01-24-2010 01:27 AM

i envy the people who write in cursive. especially those who write like it came out of a script in the early 1900's or something! it's so beautiful! the only people i know nowadays is probably my dad.

and as for reading, i think reading for pleasure is not for everyone especially with all the other distractions/things to do nowadays. i for one still love to read but i find it hard with my schedule as for many other people too. when i get into a book..I GET INTO IT!

rien 01-24-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 6784758)
brain fart...and it didn't seem appropriate in VOT

but it seems like people in our generation don't seem to write in cursive at all, and never will for that matter.

I still remember in elementary school they got us to write in cursive but that was pretty much the only time i utilized it.

truth? false?

I feel the same way about reading, I never read recreationally and during free-time cause I feel that textbooks reading was enough to occupy my time starting from high school and I think surfing the internet and reading blogs/forums/news pretty much subsitute any novel reading (well I'll try not to surf RS too much 'cause the english here is horrible).

my writing is a mixture of both cursive and printing bc i'm so lazy lol. 99% of the time I can't bring myself to lift up my pen/pencil unless it is for spaces between words.

i heard that they took out cursive writing from the gr.4 curriculum so lots of kids can't even read cursive, let alone write it. it's kind of sad :(

Wykydtron 01-24-2010 05:42 PM

Like I said, I write in cursive, with the odd letter/word in printing like capital letters. It's faster for me. My printing looks like a childs, and my cursive looks like a doctors. Hard to read either :P

CorneringArtist 01-24-2010 05:53 PM

I've got the lean of a right-handed cursive person, but I'm left-handed. I can't write in cursive to save my life, but in my printing I connect letters as if I was. Same goes for ym signature.

I remember being taught cursive in elementary, it never stuck.

As for reading, I grab the odd autobiography (The Blind Side is a good one), magazines, and the Internet. Textbooks are BS for reading because many of them are really old or uninteresting, but anything related to history I always seem to read ahead on.

twitchyzero 01-24-2010 07:52 PM

my print is chicken scratch, cursive actually is legible but it takes me longer to write it than print. Hmm, i type like x5 faster than i can write.

interesting to see them pull cursive away from curriculum, they're proably just subsituting it with all the right types :lol
http://i.d.com.com/i/dl/media/dlimag...101_large.jpeg

Inaii 01-24-2010 07:55 PM

It depends on what I'm writing, tbh. If it's a letter to my grandmother, usually cursive. Everything else gets a mix of lowercase cursive and printing.

kuruuze 01-24-2010 08:57 PM

printing for short notes meant to be read by esl, cursive for everything else. cursive is faster than printing because you don't need to lift your pen off the page as often.

twitchyzero 02-01-2010 02:58 PM

i was taking to one of my patients and she told me her 12 year old son doesn't even learn spelling at school anymore because the teacher told them to rely on spelling check on computers...how fucked up is that? It's bad enough i don't read but thankfully the weekly spelling tests in elementary school helped so much ...

this was some elementary school in new west..i hope it's not multi-district-wide

Lil Bastrd 02-04-2010 12:54 PM

I'd love to take a course on cursive writing. Haven't used it in so long when I do it is sloppy and hard to read. I'd love to be able to be able to write in cursive as it looks so much nicer. I wish they would still teach it in school. Relying on technology too much is only going to make for dumber people. It's scary to see how some ppl don't know how to function without their technology.

ajei 02-06-2010 03:04 PM

I cant write cursive anymore....i think my style of writing is finally done/won't change anymore (ie: block + messy).

Maybe with computers/technology implemented in all our lives (esp. in work)...kids are taught more about typing than hand writing.

the spell check thing (above) is just stupid though.