REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Cursive Writing/Reading

brain fart...and it didn't seem appropriate in VOT

but it seems like people in our generation don't seem to write in cursive at all, and never will for that matter.

I still remember in elementary school they got us to write in cursive but that was pretty much the only time i utilized it.

truth? false?

I feel the same way about reading, I never read recreationally and during free-time cause I feel that textbooks reading was enough to occupy my time starting from high school and I think surfing the internet and reading blogs/forums/news pretty much subsitute any novel reading (well I'll try not to surf RS too much 'cause the english here is horrible).
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

I write in cursive. Faster than printing for me.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
I write way slower in cursive lol. But I also combine a little bit of it in my printing so its faster.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
The only time I use cursive is for my signature.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
The only time I use cursive is for my signature.
+1

Although, I notice that when I print, I have a tendency to not lift my pen/pencil off the paper entirely, or at all, so my words have a bit of a cursive touch to them.
Cereal Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Director of RS Cares

i envy the people who write in cursive. especially those who write like it came out of a script in the early 1900's or something! it's so beautiful! the only people i know nowadays is probably my dad.

and as for reading, i think reading for pleasure is not for everyone especially with all the other distractions/things to do nowadays. i for one still love to read but i find it hard with my schedule as for many other people too. when i get into a book..I GET INTO IT!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
brain fart...and it didn't seem appropriate in VOT

but it seems like people in our generation don't seem to write in cursive at all, and never will for that matter.

I still remember in elementary school they got us to write in cursive but that was pretty much the only time i utilized it.

truth? false?

I feel the same way about reading, I never read recreationally and during free-time cause I feel that textbooks reading was enough to occupy my time starting from high school and I think surfing the internet and reading blogs/forums/news pretty much subsitute any novel reading (well I'll try not to surf RS too much 'cause the english here is horrible).
my writing is a mixture of both cursive and printing bc i'm so lazy lol. 99% of the time I can't bring myself to lift up my pen/pencil unless it is for spaces between words.

i heard that they took out cursive writing from the gr.4 curriculum so lots of kids can't even read cursive, let alone write it. it's kind of sad
rien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Like I said, I write in cursive, with the odd letter/word in printing like capital letters. It's faster for me. My printing looks like a childs, and my cursive looks like a doctors. Hard to read either :P
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
I've got the lean of a right-handed cursive person, but I'm left-handed. I can't write in cursive to save my life, but in my printing I connect letters as if I was. Same goes for ym signature.

I remember being taught cursive in elementary, it never stuck.

As for reading, I grab the odd autobiography (The Blind Side is a good one), magazines, and the Internet. Textbooks are BS for reading because many of them are really old or uninteresting, but anything related to history I always seem to read ahead on.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #10

my print is chicken scratch, cursive actually is legible but it takes me longer to write it than print. Hmm, i type like x5 faster than i can write.

interesting to see them pull cursive away from curriculum, they're proably just subsituting it with all the right types
Old 01-24-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
It depends on what I'm writing, tbh. If it's a letter to my grandmother, usually cursive. Everything else gets a mix of lowercase cursive and printing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

printing for short notes meant to be read by esl, cursive for everything else. cursive is faster than printing because you don't need to lift your pen off the page as often.
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #13

i was taking to one of my patients and she told me her 12 year old son doesn't even learn spelling at school anymore because the teacher told them to rely on spelling check on computers...how fucked up is that? It's bad enough i don't read but thankfully the weekly spelling tests in elementary school helped so much ...

this was some elementary school in new west..i hope it's not multi-district-wide
Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #14
VLS Pet Forum Mod

I'd love to take a course on cursive writing. Haven't used it in so long when I do it is sloppy and hard to read. I'd love to be able to be able to write in cursive as it looks so much nicer. I wish they would still teach it in school. Relying on technology too much is only going to make for dumber people. It's scary to see how some ppl don't know how to function without their technology.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I cant write cursive anymore....i think my style of writing is finally done/won't change anymore (ie: block + messy).

Maybe with computers/technology implemented in all our lives (esp. in work)...kids are taught more about typing than hand writing.

the spell check thing (above) is just stupid though.
ajei is offline   Reply With Quote