REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Hockey helmet Visors

So, i'm in the market for a new visor, i currently have a Itech something or other, the kind you can flip up, and i really dislike it, distortion is bad, and it's pretty scratched.

was looking at some Bauer and Oakley ones, Oakley seems to be the best, but what are your thoughts?

looking more at this style.

straight or aviator is fine, although i'm not sure what the difference is in terms of vision, but i'd prefer larger, for protection.

thanks guys.
Advertisement
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Its a clear peice of plastic that still exposes your entire face.

1. Thats not considered protection
2. Unless you have difficulty seeing through plastic, you're not gonna have an issue finding a visor based on 'difference in terms of vision.'

Lastly, that tinted/reflective shit is gay. Period.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Most people favor Oakley just because of it's brand name but Bauer (Itech) makes an equally good visor. I have nothing against Itech visors but I personally like the Oakley Pro Modified because it offers more cheek protection than any Straight cut. There are visors that offer more protection like the Oakley VR901 (close to what Heatley wears) but I think that visor is massive and ugly, might as well wear a full visor. Keep in mind regardless if which visor you end up getting you will get hit in the face eventually.

I agree with Raybot, don't get that tinted/mirrored bullshit, clear is always the best option. It comes down to how much you end up wanting to spend. You might be able to save a few bucks by buying an Itech visor. They're exactly the same as Bauer visors except for the logo on the side.

The only brand I would stay away from is Under Armor, their visors are overpriced and distort way more than Oakley or Bauer.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Right now Im using the Bauer Prowave, and have no complaints. A lot of guys I play with use the Itech with the replaceable shield.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #5

what is wrong with a tinted visor? Ovechkin must be gay then =/
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #6

^ when i see a guy with a tinted visor, i never think, oh wow ovechkin has one, i think, oh wow how gay.

thanks i might just get a cheapo itech one, it's so tempting at only $30 lol.

thanks guys.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Old 01-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
^ when i see a guy with a tinted visor, i never think, oh wow ovechkin has one, i think, oh wow how gay.

thanks i might just get a cheapo itech one, it's so tempting at only $30 lol.

thanks guys.
alright, suit yourself.
Maybe you will see me playing on the other team and think im gay too.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
what is wrong with a tinted visor? Ovechkin must be gay then =/
By wear a tinted visor you pretty much paint a big target on your back unless your skill level can back it up.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
By wear a tinted visor you pretty much paint a big target on your back unless your skill level can back it up.
well...on the team im playing for now
7 games 20 points...
9g 11a
I like it when people come after me, it makes me play better or else im usually just coasting around.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

buy a full cage. looking cool on the rink is not worth it when you look ugly off it with missing teeth.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Who cares about skill level......tinted visors are the signature of cocky players.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
alright, suit yourself.
Maybe you will see me playing on the other team and think im gay too.
nothing personal, believe me, my buddies wear them too.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

scratch that cheapo itech crap. its like getting a sheet of Plexiglas and pasting it on your face, it fogs up and its annoying. i'd spend the extra dough on the clarity of the higher end visors, but thats just me.

bought a cheap itech before and regretted it. just try them on your face before purchasing it, look through them and eventually you'll find one that you don't mind.

ovechkin only wears tinted visors so he can't get caught looking at girls haha, if they allowed the mirrored ones again he'd be all up on that shit.

tinted / mirrored not necessary cause all the local rinks are too dim. unless if you play at copeland all the time i dont find the need to get one unless you have a eye problem in which you cant absorb too much light and you have to wear it.

but other than that, seriously who cares about the tint, play your game forget about the other things.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #14

I play at thunderbird stadium most of the time. It is quite bright in there.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
I play at thunderbird stadium most of the time. It is quite bright in there.
You can't really compare an Olympic venue with the regular local rinks...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You can't really compare an Olympic venue with the regular local rinks...
Just a reply to nammerboi's comment about tinted visors. But it doesn't matter anyways because people that wear them are gay, cocky and ugly.

Being very bright is one of the reasons that I do use a tinted visor because it hurts my eyes. Even driving with a bit too much sunlight gives me a bit of a headache. Although I do admit when I play at richmond ice center, I don't think I have very good visability.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #17

does it really matter what you wear? i've seen blue visors, yellow ones tinted ones, mirrored ones it honestly doesn't matter to me. let people wear what they want as long as it's legal. it's their money and their equipment. i personally wear a cage so i don't lose any teeth by an accidental high stick
Old 01-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Its a clear peice of plastic that still exposes your entire face.

1. Thats not considered protection
2. Unless you have difficulty seeing through plastic, you're not gonna have an issue finding a visor based on 'difference in terms of vision.'

Lastly, that tinted/reflective shit is gay. Period.
I did not read every ones comments in this thread, however I will comment on yours and the OP.
Firstly, you have no friggen clue what you are talking about (just thought Id point that out)

I know what the OP is talking about, if your prefer a visor some extend further down past the bridge of the nose, and some do not come down as far. I prefer ones that leave a little less of my face exposed as well, and come down a little further. Yes the chin is still exposed, but if that bothers you get a cage, or cage/visor combo (which would be my alternative, maybe in the future).

As for differences in clarity, YES THERE ABSOLUTELY A DIFFERENCE! I have spoken to many sales reps since I sell some goggles and other things, and one of the reasons Oakley is more expensive is they excel in safety as well as optical clarity. They use some of the highest grad polycarbonate plastics for superior vision (this carries over to all their products, sunglasses, etc). I cannot comment on other brands, but I bet cheaper brands, maybe even itech, use lower grade plastic.
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #19

In terms of vision....all the manufacturers for visors copied what oakley does for optical clarity......more within the curvature design as opposed to the actual material used to make it. Hence why....you're not going to have an issue finding a visor thats going to 'excel' in vision.

Durability and scratch resistant? Different story....i'm paying my premium price with my oakley visor for these two reasons.

As for excelling in safety? Not a chance. Your visor is your gamble. Don't care is if it covers more of your nose, more of your cheek, etc etc etc......your eyes are your main concern. And if its exposed in any direction whatsover.....oakley isn't excelling in safety; then again nobody is. Unfortunately i got the scar right at my eye to prove it.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #20

When I say safety, I mean the plastics durability…oakley does significant testing to ensure their visors exceed safety expectations (one test is they drop a steel spike from a certain height to make sure it doesnt crack, for their goggles).
And dont forget, Oakley has patented technology that others CANNOT copy. Shape, ya a lot of them are similar. But as for optical clarity, as far as I know they use the highest grade plastic, which the cheaper brands do not. I have experience with oakley so I am just passing it along.
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #21

raybot, if im not mistaken, you play goalie and player right? I remember that you used to have a tinted visor too. Unless you are someone else.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:59 PM   #22

Nope...u got the wrong person; i've got reflexes of a tree. No way i am gonna play in net.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
Nope...u got the wrong person; i've got reflexes of a tree. No way i am gonna play in net.
well, there's the reason you have a scar on your eye
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #24

Na...for whatever reason, i decided to skate towards a speeding puck. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #25

Itechs are more optically correct than Oakleys.

I don't make any of these visors myself so I can't tell you which brand use a higher grade material but the difference you'll find between the two is in the shape of the lens. The Itech is more round whereas the Oakley is flatter. Same reason why your eyes are round and not flat. Itech has a patent on it so Oakley can't copy them.

Any of the HS22 Bauer/Itech visors are just as good as Oakleys, if not better.