REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   604 Foodtography... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/604103-604-foodtography.html)

K-Dub 01-26-2010 11:22 PM

604 Foodtography...

Hi.

In case you didn't know, I write 604 Foodtography, a local Vancouver blog about restaurants & food. I started in February when some friends suggested that I stop uploading pictures of food to facebook and actually do something with them.

This is like the 4th time I've changed my layout/theme for my blog, and I just wanted to get some feedback on the looks and anything about the blog itself.

ie.. What do you like, what can be improved on, writing, info, pictures, etc..

Thanks RS. :)

Ch28 01-26-2010 11:48 PM

Personally I love your blog. I think it was voted as one of Vancouver's top food blogs last week...remember reading about it on Twitter

Matsuda 01-27-2010 05:45 AM

I love it too, I usually check it out for suggestions of new places to try

Vansterdam 01-27-2010 06:00 AM

i think you need to write more detail. some of the posts i saw i noticed that only the picture really helped. at least what i think.

although ur newer posts are preety good and detailed

sonick 01-27-2010 09:22 AM

Haha, i have you on my googlefeeds.

A fixed width layout with word wrap would make it easier to read for those with higher resolution widescreen monitors.

tiger_handheld 01-27-2010 09:40 AM

did u apply for the RS food guy contest?

HonestTea 01-27-2010 02:26 PM

Nice!

I'm going to be having a lot of fun on this site :)

hotong 01-27-2010 04:19 PM

nice blog man... keep up the good work!

Mugen EvOlutioN 01-27-2010 05:25 PM

i like ur blog
:thumbsup:

K-Dub 01-28-2010 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch28 (Post 6789580)
Personally I love your blog. I think it was voted as one of Vancouver's top food blogs last week...remember reading about it on Twitter

Thanks. I'm no where near the top though, I think I was rated as like 20th, but that's pretty decent. http://blog.letsgofordinner.com/2010...-and-tweeters/

I don't put a lot of time into the blog as some of the others, but that's slowly changing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsuda (Post 6789778)
I love it too, I usually check it out for suggestions of new places to try

Thanks. I read your photoblog too, didja know? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 6789786)
i think you need to write more detail. some of the posts i saw i noticed that only the picture really helped. at least what i think.

although ur newer posts are preety good and detailed

Yea, I've gone through weeks where I was just like, fuck it, I'm lazy and this will suffice. I'm a little nitpicky, either I do it perfectly or I just do it pretty simple. Guess you can tell when I take a couple hours to sit down and write.. haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 6789927)
Haha, i have you on my googlefeeds.

A fixed width layout with word wrap would make it easier to read for those with higher resolution widescreen monitors.

Aweeeesome. Do you have a lower res screen? I'm not sure what it looks like, but I think right now it's fixed and will auto fix for smaller screens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 6789949)
did u apply for the RS food guy contest?

What contest? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Devil's Apprentice (Post 6790323)
Nice!

I'm going to be having a lot of fun on this site :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotong (Post 6790478)
nice blog man... keep up the good work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6790591)
i like ur blog
:thumbsup:

Thanks guys :D.

I welcome alllll feeback and suggestions.. it's been a learning experience for me with this blog.

Meowjin 01-28-2010 01:45 AM

when am i taking you out for pho.

dread604 01-28-2010 06:04 AM

cool blog man :D

sonick 01-28-2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Dub (Post 6791480)
Aweeeesome. Do you have a lower res screen? I'm not sure what it looks like, but I think right now it's fixed and will auto fix for smaller screens.

Nah, I have a high resolution screen, I meant you should make the width of your body fixed so that you don't have super long lines that make things harder to read:

http://imgur.com/XNcdp.gif

Groot 01-31-2010 12:04 AM

this is awesome dude

Amuse 01-31-2010 12:34 AM

Nice, I like it.
I like how you take pics of the interior, storefront,etc
If you have a chance, you can take a pic of the menu with prices so it will be more consistant as some reviews have them and some don't.

talentoverrated 02-03-2010 03:45 AM

bookmarked :D

K-Dub 11-19-2010 01:13 AM

Hi all,

Lots has happened since I started this thread.

Not sure if you followed, but I won the RS food critic contest (though I would NOT consider myself a critic..just vocal and opinionated).. I was on vacation for 6 weeks this summer in Asia and I swear I ate the equivalent of my own body weight every damn week. Currently working on some mega posts for Taiwan, Philippines, Shanghai and HongKong... so stay tuned. :)

I'm trying to get back into a regular groove of posting, but it's a little tough when you're a full-time student. If only I had an iPhone or BB because at least I could blog during the downtime at school.

Anyways, here's a picture from my most recent post.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/...88f9d578_o.jpg

In the meantime...
follow me on Twitter?
like me on Facebook
sub me on Youtube?

Thanks everyone! :)

Mr.Jay 11-19-2010 07:08 AM

u run 604foodtography?

I like your blog

checked out a couple of ur article now and its always been very informative plus the pictures are always real nice

TekDragon 11-19-2010 03:08 PM

It looks good, pleasing to the eye the way you have it spread. That being said, it took a bit before I realized how to "search" the site. What would be a nice feature (and not even Sherman has this) is the ability to search for cuisine and city at the same time. From just a glance, not able to do that on your blog.

Other than that, looks good. I'll be adding this blog along side with Sherman's Food Adventures now.

K-Dub 11-20-2010 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Jay (Post 7193189)
u run 604foodtography?

I like your blog

checked out a couple of ur article now and its always been very informative plus the pictures are always real nice

Yep, one man (90% of the time) show. Sometimes I get my friend to post something, but that's rare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TekDragon (Post 7193805)
It looks good, pleasing to the eye the way you have it spread. That being said, it took a bit before I realized how to "search" the site. What would be a nice feature (and not even Sherman has this) is the ability to search for cuisine and city at the same time. From just a glance, not able to do that on your blog.

Other than that, looks good. I'll be adding this blog along side with Sherman's Food Adventures now.

How are you "searching" the site now? Through the drop down categories list, or the clickable categories & tag links at the bottom of posts?

I do have a google custom search box up top, but it doesn't do what you want to do exactly.

I'll look into if that's possible on wordpress.

Thanks!

TekDragon 11-20-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Dub (Post 7194654)
How are you "searching" the site now? Through the drop down categories list, or the clickable categories & tag links at the bottom of posts?

I do have a google custom search box up top, but it doesn't do what you want to do exactly.

I'll look into if that's possible on wordpress.

Thanks!

Searching with the drop down box. Also, thanks for maintaining the site as well as having good updates on there.

K-Dub 12-02-2010 04:54 PM

Most recent post -

Nine Dishes, 960 Kingsway, Vancouver, BC

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/...1b51383b_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/...8669fc84_b.jpg

Mr.Jay 12-02-2010 05:04 PM

Go review X-Site for me

I keep hearing good things but don't want to make the trip there due to lack of free time

K-Dub 12-02-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Jay (Post 7212329)
Go review X-Site for me

I keep hearing good things but don't want to make the trip there due to lack of free time

I've heard good things regarding their daily specials, and I have been there 4-5 times.

The last time I went was couple years ago and it didn't leave me too happy. I think it was something regarding my Chicken Caesar Wrap, but it probably is just an off day.

IIRC, they have <$10 steak daily, and daily $5 specials, like steak on Mondays.

I think it's good value for the money, and is really attractive to students, especially those from SFU. Not gonna win awards, but if you go with the mindset that you're getting decent food for very little money, it's pretty good.

Culverin 12-02-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Dub (Post 7212351)
Not gonna win awards, but if you go with the mindset that you're getting decent food for very little money, it's pretty good.

Some things are decent, like pastas and stuff.
Some are better like calamari and $10 steak.

I think the burger and chicken souvlaki platter really stand out.
I think they charge like 6ish for the burger on special, and 8.50ish regular.
It comes with potatoes and salad. They could charge double that and I'd still think it's ok.