REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
^ What did you think of the Wagyu?
Advertisement
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:47 PM   #27
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
It was absolutely amazing!! I would go back for sure even if there was no discount on it. It was a good business pitch to get people in love with the steak first. haha
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
For the amount that that guy just spent on his dinner he could buy almost a side of bison. The funny thing is when someone asks about Bison meat I pretty much tell them what I just read in the first part of the wagyu wikipedia.

If you really wanna spend $400-800 on a dinner fine. I personally would feel like a huge asshole.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #29
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
After eating, we realized that the largest Wagyu ever ordered was 20oz, if me and my buddy knew that that was the record we would have broke it by ordering 21+ but too bad maybe next time!

Total was $500 exactly including tip.

While eating because we were outside there was a very nice matte black GTR that sounded furious drove by! That was a treat
Actually, our waiter told us that someone recently ordered a 36-ounce, $540 steak when we were getting our bill. That just seems excessive...and I can only imagine how greasy that dude felt afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penner2k View Post
If you really wanna spend $400-800 on a dinner fine. I personally would feel like a huge asshole.
Why? Go try a tasting menu at some of the real fine dining establishments around town and that's what you'll be spending...per person.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #30
Banned (BBM)

HOLLLY SHIT U GUYS!!! u guys are too ganster balling!!!!

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

$500 dollar lunch

DAMN!!!!!
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:56 AM   #31
I bringith the lowerballerith

Food looks great and all. Thanks for the reports.

One thing I don't like about this whole deal is that they are misleading the 50% off lunch promotion deal. I've called them today asking about the promotion - yet they claim that only their brunch menu would be available and the lunch menu with the 50% discount would not be available. It says on their website - 50% off lunch entrees until January 31 - WHAT BULLOCKS

I understand the aspects of the restaurant industry - especially in January where its typically the slowest point in the year. With it being a new and rebranded restaurant I can see the promotion as a way of generating noise and building a reputation. But do you build a reputation by misleading your customers with false and dishonored advertisements?

Even with the 50% discount - I'm sure they are getting ample traffic, volume and turnover to be either breaking even or making a few bucks here and there.

Don't get me wrong I do not mind shelling out the $200 bucks for the waygu steak. I just don't like it when businesses conduct false advertising and do not hold up to their end of the deal.

/End Rant
Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #32
...in the world.

Well, it's clearly stated (and has been for awhile) that weekends are Brunch.

Turnover? LOL...we were there for well over 3 hours.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #33
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I was there for 3 hours during a dinner rush on a saturday night.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #34

Quote:

Why? Go try a tasting menu at some of the real fine dining establishments around town and that's what you'll be spending...per person.
I'm not just talking about this place. I would never spend $400 on a meal ANYWHERE no matter who was cooking for me.
It just seems pointless to spend that much money on something that I'll be shitting out 2 hours later.
Maybe its just the fact that I consider myself a pretty good cook when I want to be and for 1/10th that I could feed myself and a couple of friends a damn good meal.

The main reason I'd feel like an asshole though is that for $400 you could feed like 10 kids who dont even have any food for a month.

But hey.. Its not my money. Do what you want with it. I just dont see the point and never will.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #35
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
^^^ Not much of a connoisseur, are you?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by penner2k View Post
I'm not just talking about this place. I would never spend $400 on a meal ANYWHERE no matter who was cooking for me.
It just seems pointless to spend that much money on something that I'll be shitting out 2 hours later.
Maybe its just the fact that I consider myself a pretty good cook when I want to be and for 1/10th that I could feed myself and a couple of friends a damn good meal.

The main reason I'd feel like an asshole though is that for $400 you could feed like 10 kids who dont even have any food for a month.

But hey.. Its not my money. Do what you want with it. I just dont see the point and never will.

Well, it depends how you put it, depends if you want to try everything that is there and depends do you like fine dining.... Some people dont like fine dining because they think its not worth it. To be honest I think that fine dining is one of the most important things I would put my money in rather than any other thing... this is because the food goes directly in your body rather than a piece of clothing that goes on the outside of you. But people have different choices and thats what they choose. But personally I had to go try this because it was such a great deal... $1000 meal for half price.... at least now I can say I have tried it and give other people feedback but most important I get to satisfy myself.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:53 PM   #37
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
I went to Glowbal today and tried the Wagyu. It wasn't as good as it could have been - it didn't have flavour & tenderness of Wagyu. I wonder why they're not using the Wagyu from the Snake River Farm in Idaho? I was a little disappointed.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Actually, our waiter told us that someone recently ordered a 36-ounce, $540 steak when we were getting our bill. That just seems excessive...and I can only imagine how greasy that dude felt afterwards.

Hahaha... actually that was my friend who ordered that... or DaFonz as we know him here

We went a couple days later and spent about $1000 on dinner there after

Wagyu was good, but still not as good as japan... that is all
Old 02-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #39

Originally Posted by Ronin

That was what our waiter told us... but its okay, haha I want to see someone take in a 50oz and if the restaurant will pay for it... haha
Old 02-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #40
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
I went to Glowbal today and tried the Wagyu. It wasn't as good as it could have been - it didn't have flavour & tenderness of Wagyu. I wonder why they're not using the Wagyu from the Snake River Farm in Idaho? I was a little disappointed.
I actually find the australian wagyu better than the snake river farm ...however the last kobe steak i bought was a US kind from nikuya and that sucked balls, wasnt as tender and tasty
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #41
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by What_the? View Post
Hahaha... actually that was my friend who ordered that... or DaFonz as we know him here

We went a couple days later and spent about $1000 on dinner there after

Wagyu was good, but still not as good as japan... that is all
fucking norman. sounds about right.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #42
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Originally Posted by Ronin

36 ounce.....tats a monster!
That was what our waiter told us... but its okay, haha I want to see someone take in a 50oz and if the restaurant will pay for it... haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
I actually find the australian wagyu better than the snake river farm ...however the last kobe steak i bought was a US kind from nikuya and that sucked balls, wasnt as tender and tasty
so i guess not all KOBE beef gonna be god like
Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #43
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
so i guess not all KOBE beef gonna be god like
Not all "Kobe" beef is created equal. There's a grading system to determine fat content and marbling.

BTW: Kobe beef is just the wagyu from Kobe. Japan has several different kinds of wagyu itself...it's not all from Kobe.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #44
Banned (BBM)

thx for the info, didnt know that
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #45
...in the world.

For example? This is A5 Matsuzaka beef.

http://www.ededition.com/steak-house...atsuzaka-beef/
Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #46
Banned (BBM)

waitress sure looks better than the meat

Old 02-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #47
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

i ordered the 24 oz porterhouse, 6oz wagyu, then ended w/ the sablefish. I was kind of disappointed with the porterhouse, I ordered it rare but it came medium. However, I thought the wagyu was great for $45!! It was pretty well marbled, melted in my mouth...but i dont think i'd pay $90 for it. Lastly, i had the sablefish which i thought was pretty tender, wasn't overcooked or anything. Great meal. I really enjoyed the mashed potatoes too, i think they put in sour cream in the potatoes, i should do that next time i make mashed potatoes!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukoh View Post
i ordered the 24 oz porterhouse, 6oz wagyu, then ended w/ the sablefish. I was kind of disappointed with the porterhouse, I ordered it rare but it came medium. However, I thought the wagyu was great for $45!! It was pretty well marbled, melted in my mouth...but i dont think i'd pay $90 for it. Lastly, i had the sablefish which i thought was pretty tender, wasn't overcooked or anything. Great meal. I really enjoyed the mashed potatoes too, i think they put in sour cream in the potatoes, i should do that next time i make mashed potatoes!
See its really hard for to trust the review of someone that just now realized that putting sour cream in mashed potatoes is a good idea.
Another tip... a little bit of garlic in the mashed potatoes tastes good too..
Also a healthy alternative to potatoes is to mash up cauliflower. More flavor and when using the right seasonings tastes way better.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #49

I think the Mashed Potatoes is mixed with a sort of cheese not sour cream.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
Here is the wagyu beef I ate last summer in japan... i forgot the name, but it is supposed to be one of the top 2 wagyu beef

best beef i ever had, they melt in the mouth too... looks like blue fin tuna lol

another type of wagyu at a different restaurant, this time for hotpot!

Last edited by Zyzz; 02-08-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote