REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
I don't get it

What are they doing to sea-to-sky...?

I went to whistler yesterday, and there are long sections on the highway where they put in those yellow rubbery traffic posts, the ones that you sometimes see between lanes when they don't want you changing lanes. Makes sense, may reduce accidents during olympic period.

But instead of putting them between lanes to split the lanes up nicely, they were putting them off-set. Lanes are pushed towards the edges of the road, and they created this empty space in the middle (over the yellow lines) for absolutely no good reason.

I shit you not there are mile-long sections where you are forced to drive on through on the rumble strips because of the off-set.

I saw construction workers that are putting these in place as I drove past. The posts are installed onto the ground using a couple bolts, so they are drilling holes into the tarmac. Basically when olympics is over, and they remove these posts, we are going to be left with a bunch of drill holes over the path where the tires roll over. These drilled holes will turn into potholes in 1-2 years and we are going to have a path of potholes for the entire length of the highway.

what the hell is VANOC thinking?
Advertisement
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

maybe they're planting trees like on #3? LOL
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknee View Post
what the hell is VANOC thinking?
Silly RS'er... VANOC doesn't think

I believe those are for the alternating lanes. Think Lions Gate Bridge, but on the Sea to Sky instead.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

you ever cross lions gate bridge? sometimes you need more lanes for one direction.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Silly RS'er... VANOC doesn't think

I believe those are for the alternating lanes. Think Lions Gate Bridge, but on the Sea to Sky instead.
If they wanted to make alternating lanes they could've just installed the posts up between lanes, instead of pushing the traffic towards the edge of the road. They created this empty space in the middle for no good reason.
Toeknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeknee View Post
They created this empty space in the middle for no good reason.
I'm sure they have a perfectly good reason in mind... perfectly good to them, and no one else.

Just keep in mind... that while you (and me, and 90% of the rest of Vancouverites) won't be attending anything Olympics related... we're all going to be paying for it for a very, very long time. That includes repaving the Sea to Sky next year too