REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Russia tests stealth fighter jet built by Sukhoi

Sweet!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8486812.stm

Quote:
A new stealth fighter has made its maiden flight in Russia's far east.

The Sukhoi T-50 jet spent 47 minutes in the air over Komsomolsk-on-Amur and test pilot Sergei Bogdan said "it is easy and comfortable to pilot".

The jet - also known by the Russian designation PAK FA - is seen as a potential rival to the US F-22 Raptor, which first flew in 1997.

The "fifth generation" jet is designed to be invisible to radar. Russia's air force hopes to acquire it in 2015.

The new jet has been developed in partnership with India. It is seen as a significant milestone in Russia's efforts to modernise its Soviet-era military hardware.

Sukhoi's director Mikhail Pogosyan said he was convinced that the project would "excel its Western rivals in cost-effectiveness and will not only allow strengthening of the defence power of the Russian and Indian air forces, but also gain a significant share of the world market".

The company says the jet's stealth features considerably enhance its combat effectiveness in all weathers.

Its features include: all-weather capability, ability to use a take-off strip of just 300-400 metres, capacity for sustained supersonic flight including repeated in-flight refuelling, advanced avionics, simultaneous attacks on air and ground targets.
Advertisement
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
would love to see one of these in person
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
does anyone know if it has thrust-vectoring like the F-22 raptor?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

it has hyper sonic stabilizers
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

It's tail feathers still look like normal tail feathers (exhaust ducts). Not the IR dissipating type like the F-22. I wander if they worked on IR signature stealth as well.
keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
does anyone know if it has thrust-vectoring like the F-22 raptor?
sukhois were first to have thrust vectoring ,,way before f-22. im not sure f-22 has 2d or 3d thrust vectoring. think 2d.

PAK-FA (AKA) su-50 (aka) stealth is 3d TV similar to whats on below

su-30mki was the first active duty plane (indian airforce)
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

what's with all this military upgrade???!?!??!
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
what's with all this military upgrade???!?!??!
Russia and India are preparing for the shitstorm that AsNoobAsItGets is prepping since they have been pushing his buttons.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

anyone seen "2012"?

Noah Curtis: Woah, that's a big plane.
Yuri Karpov: It's Russian.
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

It will never be as good as the F-22 or anything the US builds - you can't compete with the US when it comes to military technology.

Russia used to be a country that people feared because of their military strength. Now it's a country filled with corruption and run by mobsters and is known more for their blonde cocktail waitresses trying to make the jump to Hollywood than their military might.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
build freaking starships already
Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
It will never be as good as the F-22 or anything the US builds - you can't compete with the US when it comes to military technology.

Russia used to be a country that people feared because of their military strength. Now it's a country filled with corruption and run by mobsters and is known more for their blonde cocktail waitresses trying to make the jump to Hollywood than their military might.
That's bullshit - the Russian planes are just as good as the American ones, and cheaper. I'd back the Su-27 over the F-15 any day. Also, I believe the EF2000 beat out the F-22 in a mock combat simulation.

Yes, the F-22 is more advanced than the Su-27, but that's due to the immense amount of money spent on R&D which the Russians couldn't do because of their failing economy.

However, the Su-37/47 are more maneuverable, and will be able to take the F-22 in a dogfight - not that those happen in real life anymore, it's all BVR missiles.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
pretty sweet
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
That's bullshit - the Russian planes are just as good as the American ones, and cheaper. I'd back the Su-27 over the F-15 any day. Also, I believe the EF2000 beat out the F-22 in a mock combat simulation.

Yes, the F-22 is more advanced than the Su-27, but that's due to the immense amount of money spent on R&D which the Russians couldn't do because of their failing economy.

However, the Su-37/47 are more maneuverable, and will be able to take the F-22 in a dogfight - not that those happen in real life anymore, it's all BVR missiles.
"Mock" combat? Like that really counts these days. What did they do - put them in a situation that would never happen so one particular aspect of the EF2000 would prevail? In real life the EF2000 would be dead before the pilot even knew there was an F-22 in the area. Nobody dogfights anymore.

I'll simplify it for you: In todays world in any real life situation that would occur, nobody will ever get superiority over the Americans in the air. Or on land or in the sea, for that matter. Those "stupid rednecks" are far beyond anybody else when it comes to military technology.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
"Mock" combat? Like that really counts these days. What did they do - put them in a situation that would never happen so one particular aspect of the EF2000 would prevail? In real life the EF2000 would be dead before the pilot even knew there was an F-22 in the area. Nobody dogfights anymore.

I'll simplify it for you: In todays world in any real life situation that would occur, nobody will ever get superiority over the Americans in the air. Or on land or in the sea, for that matter. Those "stupid rednecks" are far beyond anybody else when it comes to military technology.
Too bad all that tech ain't doing shit for them in Afghanistan and Iraq.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
damn thats amazing
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

The only thing someone needs to do is develop a strong enough EMP generator and all modern planes will drop out of the sky. I wouldn't be surprised if all these planes would be useful unless they are fully hydraulic in the near future.
ivanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #18
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Kinda sucks that they couldn't use this technology on the Su-47 as well. It's also in the experimental stage.

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 01-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
I'm confused. The US military has full air superiority control over Afghanistan and Iraq thanks to the F-22 and other air/anti-air technology. I'd say its working.
jlo mein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
I'm confused. The US military has full air superiority control over Afghanistan and Iraq thanks to the F-22 and other air/anti-air technology. I'd say its working.
They have air superiority, but on the ground... not so much

Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,174 Posts
Quote:

What else is going to count? There are no decent opponents for US military anymore that will fight them without the world ending in a nuclear holocaust. So "mock" combat is the best we are going to see in regards to two equally matched opponents going against one another.

The reason the US is so far ahead in military technology is that it spend as much money as the next fifteen highest countries combined in defence funding. No other country/organization even comes close.

Asymmetric warfare means that all that money spent isn't really that useful though. No use having hundred-million dollar airplanes and million-dollar missiles when you can't even identify who you're supposed to be attacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlo mein View Post
In Iraq and Afghanistan, they didn't even face any *real* air to air challenges. Total overkill against the old 2nd/3rd generation fighters that they had - not even mentioning the "pilots" that the Iraqi air force fielded.

From Wiki:

Quote:
On the brink of the US led invasion in 2003, Saddam Hussein disregarded his Air Force's wishes to defend the country's airspace against U.S. aircraft and ordered the bulk of his fighters disassembled or buried. Air Vice Marshal Abed Hamed Mowhoush was apparently the air force commander immediately prior to the war. Some were later found by US excavation forces around the Al Taqqadum and Al Asad air bases, including MiG-25s and Su-25s[13]. The IQAF proved to be totally non-existent during American invasion; a few helicopters were seen but no fighters flew to fight against coalition aircraft.[citation needed]

During the occupation phase, most of Iraq's combat aircraft (mainly MiG-23s, MiG-25s and Su-25s) were found by American and Australian forces in poor condition at several air bases throughout the country while others were discovered buried.[14] Most of the IQAF's aircraft were destroyed during and after the invasion, and all remaining equipment was junked or scrapped in the immediate aftermath of the war. None of the aircraft acquired during Saddam's time remained in service.[12]
Afghanistan's airplanes were from the 60's and 70's and they weren't exactly in the best operational condition either considering that spare parts weren't exactly abundant.

It's like sending Mike Tyson against a grade-school kid.

Air superiority is nice and dandy, but it doesn't do jack for the ground forces who have to hold the captured territory against insurgents and local resistance.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #22
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

the US sucks yo
Dan_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,347 Times in 5,651 Posts
how can you compete against billion dollar jets?

sure the F22 may have lost in "mock" simulations, but isnt the F18 like 165-0 in dog fights? the F22 is superior in every way and your telling me it's going to lose in a dog fight?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #24

the f-22 is more of a shoot first, ask questions later type fighter. Can't even see it coming, and bam! your locked on w/ a AIM-7 or AIM-9 coming at you. The chances on getting into a dog fight has become rare.
keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #25

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Quote:
thats only because the US would be in deep doo-doo if they just carpet bombed every inch of Iraq and Afghanistan
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote