REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
G
Banned (BBM)

Silverstar Mountain Resort help!

Hey everyone, i'm going to be going to Silverstar over the olympic period (since we get a break) but I have never been there before and I need some tips!

Do they have a lot of places to eat + grocery places? I will be staying 3 days and 2 nights and we get a full kitchen so we might cook to save money.

If anyone has ever gone there please give me some helpful info on what you did + anything that can be useful!

I am flying Westjet from YVR to kelowna and then taking a bus... (weird how its same price, or even cheaper than greyhounding!)

TIA!
Advertisement
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
I STILL don't get it

They don't have THAT many restaurants, but since you're there for only 3 days, it should be adequate.
Silver Star is a smaller resort, it's not a huge tourist hotspot like Whistler.
They have night and day skiing, tubing is fun there as well. Also skating if you guys do that.
Not that much night-life action there though, how many people are you going with?
Silver Star would be for just strictly snowboarding for me if I went haha, or some down time partying in the cabins with friends.

It's an awesome mountain though, great snow. Have fun~
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Since you have to pass through Kelowna/Big White enroute, it might be a good idea to stop by at Costco/Stupidstore on Hwy 97 for grocerries. I don't recall there being a grocery store by Silverstar (you won't have a whistler village for sure).

Fun factor wise, you'll definately love the fresh power snow you get up there. It wouldn't hurt to stop by at Big White as well on the last leg of your trip since it's pretty close by.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #4

BTW, depending on how big your group is, it won't hurt to rent a minivan/SUV instead. All rental cars in Kelowna are equipped with snow tires.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
G
Banned (BBM)

we arnt old enough for renting vehicles... We have 4 ppl going. Oh yea, my friend said that the lifts stop at 3pm and night boarding is only on friday and weekends! That's so stupid!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT View Post
we arnt old enough for renting vehicles... We have 4 ppl going. Oh yea, my friend said that the lifts stop at 3pm and night boarding is only on friday and weekends! That's so stupid!
Posted via RS Mobile
I'm sure if you're willing to pay them enough money they'll turn them on for you.

Since we're all comparing this place to Whistler, well they aren't even open at night.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
G
Banned (BBM)

Yea... We might have to reschedule it so we go on the weekend so we can get more boarding for the price...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #8

When are you guys thinking of heading up? I drive to Vancouver and back (to Kelowna) every weekend, so I might be able to help you guys out on the first leg of the journey? :P

BTW, do a search on "bcrdukes / LAX airport car rental " under the Travel thread to use the corporate discount for waiving the underage rental fee

Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
^
See post 13-15

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
G
Banned (BBM)

well, we can't even rent a car at budget nor at enterprise.....also we don't feel like driving that far either. It works well since westjet is giving a promo where we get free lift ticket the day of our flight... We are now planning on going saturday sunday monday so that we get the night skiing too for the same price..... however I don't know if they will stop at groceries for us.....unless you can help us shuttle from kelowna airport to silverstar?? the shuttle from silverstar is rape... 72 round trip..
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #11

You should also know that for night time operations, only a very small portion of the trails will be open.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
G
Banned (BBM)

^Yea, but still, its better than not snowboarding at all! 8:30 AM -> 3:30 PM is a pretty short time to board!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
I STILL don't get it

If its just 4 of u, maybe get a taxi?
Even the airport shuttles are arnd 20 bucks one way to the city, not the mountain.
Good luck!
Posted via RS Mobile
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #14
G
Banned (BBM)

hey, I have a question for people that have taken flights with their snowboards/boots as a luggage. Did you get charged extra? The travel agency said that we might be charged extra because the size of the luggage is different and that they don't know how much it is until you go up to the check-in booth... Does anyone know how much we will be charged?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:17 AM   #15

Ask the airline. We don't know who you're flying with.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 AM   #16
G
Banned (BBM)

Flying with Westjet...... just wanted to see if anyone had any experience before I call them later on..
Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

i remember going there up in vernon, i recommend you to buy all your can at superstore before heading up there. its really lonely up there
SMDBICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
G
Banned (BBM)

^lol thanks for the tip! We are probably gonna stock up and put all the food in a luggage instead of buying it on the expensive mountain!
Do you remember if you need to pay extra for your snowboard/skiis as luggage?

Also, if we do the taxi service, we will need to go from Kelowna Airport to Silverstar Mountain in a Taxi Van for the cost of less than 140$ each way....... do you think this is possible?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

Went to Silverstar 2 years ago. THERE IS NO REAL SUPERMARKET THERE! There is only a tiny store, it's like a corner store. It has milk, chips, and canned food. Everything is overpriced. There isn't that many options, and no actual healthy food. Expect to eat out for most of your meals.
The store actually resembles to a 7 11 but without hotdogs and slurpee.
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

oh ya. I recommend you to eat at Long John. Delicious burgers.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
G
Banned (BBM)

^Is it expensive?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT View Post
^Is it expensive?
2 years ago it costed apprximately the same as Red Robin, but the fries wasn't unlimited.

Nothing is cheap on Silverstar.

Tips: Bring some canned soup if you want to save some money. When you get hungry at 1am in the morning, the canned soup will save you.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #23

Yea, they sell donuts for $3. When they told me the price I gave an expression of shock. They're reply to me was "You're at Silverstar Mountain."