REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #26
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
I knew you'd chiime in on this thread! You, Hongers of all Hongers!
so... it was a tarp?
hahaha
Advertisement
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
lido has the best pineapple oil in town, especially when u go early in the morning, like 6-7am when the pineapple bun is fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:37 PM   #28
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
lido has the best pineapple oil in town, especially when u go early in the morning, like 6-7am when the pineapple bun is fresh.
kind of hard when it opens at 7:15....
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It's not a "tyrade" it's the truth. If you didn't eat any carbs, you could eat all the butter in the world, and you wouldn't get fat. In fact, you'd get thinner. And your blood profile will improve.
Please explain how every greek is fat, when they eat very LITTLE carbs. Infact the greek diet is mostly VEGETERIAN and FULL OF PROTEIN AND SATURATED FATS.

Please. Seriously once I get back down to my target weight I will do your EXACT diet for 30 days that you want me to do and I WILL PROVE TO YOU that I will gain weight.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I'm not familiar enough with 'real' Greek cuisine to comment on that. If Wikipedia is accurate however, it's pretty easy to see why Greeks get fat. Pretty much every side dish is stuffed with copious amounts of rice or bread, and a lot of it is deep-fried (presumably in vegetable oil, which is bad)

Also keep in mind that people are different. Some people tolerate carbs just fine (like my wife, who can eat as many carbs as she wants and won't get fat) while others (like myself) so much as smell carbs their insulin starts storing fat).

Because it's insulin (well it's more complicated than that obviously, but that's the basic idea) that makes you fat, not fat. How your body handles insulin is what determines how fat you are. With dietary fat however, we all handle it the same. So one person may or may not get fat from insulin, they aren't necessarily going to do so from actual fat (within moderation of course).

Anyway, if you're ever in HK and want a good pineapple bun with butter, check out Tsui Wah. They use real butter from New Zealand (so they are grass-fed cows) and they keep the butter on ice, so it stays hard. Go early though, it sells out every day and is usually gone by the afternoon.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:47 AM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Processed foods are the devils, not carbs.

It's the sudden intake of corn syrup/sugar/white breads that are making people fat, not whole wheats.

I agree that saturated fats are fine, since french/greeks eat a shitload of them, and we have very long life expectancy but at 100 most people are hefty!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:52 AM   #32

The additional processed carbs are definitely to blame for how obese people are getting, but whole wheat isn't much better for you, in terms of the insulin spike you get from it.

For most people, simply avoiding the real junk is all they need to do. But if you simply replace them 1:1 with so-called "healthy" grains, you are going to be just as fat.

I guess it's a good thing "healthy" grains taste so bad, so it's pretty much impossible to eat as much of them
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #33
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

"pineapple oil" is not the healthies thing to eat, but they sure taste awesome

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #34
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,506 Times in 4,310 Posts
Okay leave my thread alone.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #35
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Lido has the best ones! mmmm..... i wanna go there now..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #36
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
kind of hard when it opens at 7:15....
really, i thought they open at like 6 in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #37
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
given the choice of margarine OR butter, id go with butter.

hydrogenated oils is bad for you! margaine was developed as a cheap substitute to butter during the wars...

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #38
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

^plus the smell of butter when you heat it in a pan is heaven.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

BTW, what kind of butter is best with these pineapple buns?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:29 AM   #40
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

They open at 7:15, but the first batch of pineapple buns come out fresh at 8:00am IIRC.
MaximalLazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
BTW, what kind of butter is best with these pineapple buns?
Straight up salted butter, preferably from grass-fed cows. Anchor is good.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #42

They don't sell Anchor butter in Canada.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #43

Well just read the ingredients, and make sure it's made of nothing more than cream and salt. If it says "milk ingredients" or "milk solids" or "water" anywhere, put it back on the shelf.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2010, 06:19 AM   #44
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The additional processed carbs are definitely to blame for how obese people are getting, but whole wheat isn't much better for you, in terms of the insulin spike you get from it.

For most people, simply avoiding the real junk is all they need to do. But if you simply replace them 1:1 with so-called "healthy" grains, you are going to be just as fat.

I guess it's a good thing "healthy" grains taste so bad, so it's pretty much impossible to eat as much of them
I'd honestly feel truly sorry for you if you couldn't go through life enjoying a deserts, a slice of fresh baked bread, good cheese and a bottle of wine because your worried about a simple insulin spike.

Also "define" replace. Portion sizes have increased in the past 20 years. And people now eat past the limit of being satisfied.

PS: Healthy grains actually taste quite good, although I do enjoy a nice crusty baguette once in a while.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
I'd honestly feel truly sorry for you if you couldn't go through life enjoying a deserts, a slice of fresh baked bread, good cheese and a bottle of wine because your worried about a simple insulin spike.

Also "define" replace. Portion sizes have increased in the past 20 years. And people now eat past the limit of being satisfied.

PS: Healthy grains actually taste quite good, although I do enjoy a nice crusty baguette once in a while.
Who's saying not to eat desserts or fresh baked bread? Would you live off those? I assume not.

Also, despite what may be common belief, portion sizes haven't increased in the last 20 years, they have decreased. Dietary fat has decreased as well. And also during the last 20 years, Exercise has increased. But people are getting fatter. Wonder why?

All I am saying is, eat properly and you can enjoy some junk once in a while. The difference is knowing what is actually junk and what isn't. We all know ice cream and pizza are bad for you. And "healthy" ice cream and "healthy" pizza are usually even worse, because they take out the good (the fat), leave in the bad (the sugar/starch) and add more bad (more sugar/starch to replace the fat).

By knowing how your body handles insulin spikes, you can determine how often and when you can get away with eating junk. Lowering overall calories by way of fat isn't going to do a damn thing for you, in terms of health or physique.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #46
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Just dont stuff yourself with this pineapple bun with butter before bed time. The old saying goes something like this:
"Eat breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper"

I watched this documentary on the body clock and explained insulin normally peaks in morning and is lowest as evening progresses. Bad to have all those excess glucose floating around in your blood since no insulin around to decrease the level.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #47
RS Veteran

Courtesy of Alphamale @ Lido

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Courtesy of Alphamale @ Lido

mmm yummy
Did they put the butter in before bringing it to the table or do they have the butter separate from the bun?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #49
Need my Daily Fix of RS

i dont remember what its called but in HK theres this pinapple bun cut in half with like butter, condensed milk and like powdered sugar! thats yummy
n1smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #50
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
mmm yummy
Did they put the butter in before bringing it to the table or do they have the butter separate from the bun?
I believe they put the butter in before bringing it out to you (at least that's what I noticed.)

But maybe we should wait for that Honger, Alphamale, to reply.