REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Tailgating Cop Caught on YouTube (https://www.revscene.net/forums/604583-tailgating-cop-caught-youtube.html)

lonelydriver 01-31-2010 10:32 PM

Tailgating Cop Caught on YouTube

Is this legal? I've seen this happen so many times and if I was that driver, it would piss me off. I'm not sure why the guy in the Accord didn't change lanes when it was cleared.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/richmond_.../83065667.html

ninjatune 01-31-2010 10:41 PM

Keep right except to pass? Officers do this all the time to run the plate and see whats going on inside.

People always freak out while driving around cops and slow down, do funny things.

jlenko 01-31-2010 11:03 PM

Wow, that guy on the bike needs to find a life. Whole lotta useless crap he posted.

TypeRNammer 01-31-2010 11:25 PM

Sorry I don't approve the foul language on the youtube video.

jlenko 01-31-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeRNammer (Post 6797094)
Sorry I don't approve the foul language on the youtube video.

No kidding. People that post garbage like that don't seem to realize how stupid they appear... any credibility they may have had went out the window.

johny 01-31-2010 11:36 PM

the only reason that guy has a cam is to record him and his Friends going 250km/h... so he's the douche

RenoMan 02-01-2010 12:09 AM

Richmond View paper sounds like the typical neighborhood paper , who cares

jimmerz 02-01-2010 02:00 AM

so regardless of whether the guy put foul language in his youtube video, it seems like you guys are ok with the cop tailgaiting the other car and provoking road rage?

sure the sedan is being a douche by hogging the left lane, but the SUV was no better if not worse by tailgating that car.

run the plate and see what's going on inside? do you really need to be constantly 1m away from the plate to read it ? and even if you need your prescription checked you dont need to tailgate for prolonged periods of time after you've read the plate. and its probably safer the leave a margin while someone looks at their computer. if that was what they were doing that is

asdfpic 02-01-2010 02:48 AM

quite interested on what the officers on the forum have to say about this
i personally see this happen all the time, kinda ridiculous how long a cop stays behind you to run your plate...

Gnomes 02-01-2010 07:58 AM

The officer probably need better vision correction not just for reading license plates but for other work related stuff too. Imagine the cop squinting to write down plate numbers.

Despite the language used in that video and for whatever the reason the biker used the cam for, it is good to record random stuff like that. Public accountability of the rcmp is important - we taxpayers are paying them good money not for them to harass and tailgate people.

Presto 02-01-2010 10:24 AM

This is why we need to make it mandatory to "Keep Right Except to Pass". Then it would've been the lane hog breaking the law, and we'd be cheering the cop for pulling that jerk over.

Revox 02-01-2010 10:30 AM

That has happened to me before, going 50 km/h to avoid a speeding ticket, but the cop was on me like white on rice, so I changed into the right lane and guess who followed me into the lane taped to my ass.

eFx[A2C] 02-01-2010 12:44 PM

Why is this only a problem when a cop does it? 845834 people do this daily and people don't record it and send it in to the local newspaper.

eurochevy 02-01-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 6797516)
This is why we need to make it mandatory to "Keep Right Except to Pass". Then it would've been the lane hog breaking the law, and we'd be cheering the cop for pulling that jerk over.

not enough european / non-north american drivers here since everyone but north america seems to know to stay to the right (or left depending on country)

Gnomes 02-01-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eFx[A2C] (Post 6797693)
Why is this only a problem when a cop does it? 845834 people do this daily and people don't record it and send it in to the local newspaper.

Multiple reasons.
1. Cops are SUPPOSE to be role models to citizens in obeying the law. Dont want people to follow this road raging cops as an example
2. Such action give pressure to the driver to speed up when the driver is already driving at 80km/hr. If the driver speeds up, guess who is around to give speeding tickets?
3. Public accountability. When cops are on duty, they are paid with taxpayer's money. They should not endanger the safety of taxpayers for road raging reasons.

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-01-2010 02:46 PM

if cops cant behave, than who else can

jlenko 02-01-2010 11:01 PM

Am I the only one who sees no 'road rage' at all?

Tailgating != road rage. You're blowing this out of proportion.

And I've never had a cop do this to me. Maybe those of you who have should examine your driving...

LiquidTurbo 02-02-2010 12:09 AM

There's nothing we can do. They are the ones who uphold the law. Only they can choose to either:

1. Ticket the police officer (unlikely)
2. Do nothing.

Either way, the situation is outta our hands.

Dragon-88 02-02-2010 12:14 PM

So what would happen if say this cop was tailgating you and then all of a sudden for no reason slammed on the brakes.. Would Mr. cop be at fault or would I be at fault for hitting my brakes for no apparent reason? But I could easily argue I saw something cross the road and braked to avoid it.

Gnomes 02-02-2010 01:01 PM

I think 100% of the cases of rear ender - the person behind is at fault for not leaving enough room. Only exception I can think of is if the person in front reverses AND no witnesses.

sho_bc 02-02-2010 01:07 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't see the SUV "riding its ass"? Even with the extreme viewing angle for most of the video, I'm able to see almost the whole rear end of the Honda. As the motorcycle gets closer, you can see that there is plenty of space between the two vehicles. I see people driving much closer than that on the highways every day.

asdfpic 02-02-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6799479)
Am I the only one that doesn't see the SUV "riding its ass"? Even with the extreme viewing angle for most of the video, I'm able to see almost the whole rear end of the Honda. As the motorcycle gets closer, you can see that there is plenty of space between the two vehicles. I see people driving much closer than that on the highways every day.

... would you like it if people drove behind you like that everyday?

im sure if we were driving behind a cop car and giving as much space as the suv in the video did we would get pulled over and hassled by the cops

whtazn 02-02-2010 05:16 PM

itd be fucking pissed. itd switch lanes and finger the driver

jlenko 02-02-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdfpic (Post 6799811)
... would you like it if people drove behind you like that everyday?

im sure if we were driving behind a cop car and giving as much space as the suv in the video did we would get pulled over and hassled by the cops

Uhh... people DO drive like that behind me every day. What would you suggest I do?

asdfpic 02-03-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6800648)
Uhh... people DO drive like that behind me every day. What would you suggest I do?

i'm sure anything legal wouldn't be effective... however that isn't the point

thing is we are citizens who make mistakes and can get ticketed, unlike a cop, they should be role models for us and not doing things like tailgate for so long just to run a plate, making seem to some people it is an accepted thing to do