REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
I subscribe to Revscene

Anyone here own property?

Me and my father bought a piece of land out in Maple ridge its a quarter acre with a crappy rancher house on it, for $270k. We plan to fix it up and possibly add another floor to out then rent it out as two, two bedroom suites. My father said it'll cost about $70k to fix it up and renovate.. I think it might be more, does anyone have experience with this? I'm hoping to make some profit on it in 10-15 years time.. We are also looking for contractors too that will offer a good price on framing for the second floor etc etc
Advertisement
DC5-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

you need to provide more info.

adding another floor: are you planning to lift the whole house and put in a basement / sub floor? or are you taking the roof off and adding a top floor?

you also need to look into max sq. footage you can build on this piece of land as well
Wetordry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Sounds perfect for a grow op too! Can make profit in just a few years!
Posted via RS Mobile
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetordry View Post
you need to provide more info.

adding another floor: are you planning to lift the whole house and put in a basement / sub floor? or are you taking the roof off and adding a top floor?

you also need to look into max sq. footage you can build on this piece of land as well
yup, wanting to take the roof off and put on another floor. we already talked to the city and they are okay with it
Old 02-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Usually with a project like that you would have to check with you structural engineer to see if your foundation is suitable for another level. If yes, you can continue with it and start designing and if no you may need upgrades for the new floor. If everything goes well apply for the permit bla bla. pm me i can give you a price and advice
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

yup have already checked foundation by an engineer, my dad has already designed the layout
Old 02-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

have you considered doing a knockdown and rebuilding
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

you aint providing much info. How big is it sq ft? current condition? what kind of foundation? height? location? what kind of layout? etc.

^ knock down and rebuild can be too costly but it all depends on the current condition and how much his dad wants to spend

Last edited by RenoMan; 02-02-2010 at 02:11 PM.
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

i spoke with my dad, when he gets the key then he will want a quote, should be in a couple weeks.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Update house is 90% complete. Turning the patio into another room as we speak. Did not add another floor, would have gone over budget.
Posted via RS Mobile