REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   West Van cop demoted after assault on delivery man one year ago (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605029-west-van-cop-demoted-after-assault-delivery-man-one-year-ago.html)

nns 02-04-2010 02:49 PM

West Van cop demoted after assault on delivery man one year ago

Quote:

A West Van police officer who pleaded guilty to assaulting a newspaper-delivery man a year ago has been demoted to a probationary constable, suspended without pay for 120 hours and ordered to undergo alcohol counselling.

The West Van Police department issued a statement Thursday outlining the disciplinary measures against Griffin Gillan. The action comes more than a year after the brutal assault of delivery man Firoz Khan at Burrard and Georgia streets downtown Vancouver on Jan. 21, 2009.

West Van police say the demotion will cost Gillan about $120,000 in gross salary.

Before the assault, Gillan was drinking heavily at bars in West Vancouver and on Granville Street with Jeffrey Klassen -- a 38-year-old New Westminster police officer who is scheduled to go to trial for the assault in spring -- and Delta officer Blair Tanino, who was not charged in the incident.

Gillan became separated from his friends at around 2:30 a.m that night and, after hitching a ride with Aubrey Simon, a now-deceased witness who said Gillan appeared irritated and "very intoxicated," he ended up outside the Hyatt where he asked Khan for directions.

Khan, a 47-year-old father of three, told Gillan to "give me a second."

That's when Gillan had "an unexplained violent outburst," said the Crown. "You f---ing come here right now," he told Khan.

Keefer told court Gillan punched or kneed Khan in the stomach, and brought him to the pavement.

After being dragged to his feet, Khan asked Gillan why he was being hit. The officer replied, "You're under arrest," and pushed him back down. That's when Gillan called for "backup," alerting Klassen and Tanino.

A 911 call played in court showed how the assault mimicked police-arrest techniques, said Keefer. "Cross your feet. Get your hands up," an unspecified male voice says.

Eyewitness accounts describe Khan being punched in the back of the head, having his head pulled back and being kicked in the ribs and stomach. One witness heard Khan yelling, "Call the police." Klassen allegedly replied: "We are the police."

Khan also said he heard a racist remark but could not say who uttered it. No witnesses reported hearing it.

Upon his arrest, Gillan was unco-operative, denied the assault and spat on a police car.
http://www.theprovince.com/West+demo...347/story.html

StylinRed 02-04-2010 02:56 PM

a demotion... rofl

god this city is so corrupt, i don't see why the public has issues with gangsters when its run by them too

nns 02-04-2010 03:26 PM

Interesting point that I thought should be mentioned. A lot of you guys cry afoul about how cops are suspended with pay when incidents like this happen, claiming it's due to the department and their supposed ill-management. Well, that isn't the case.

According to this link, http://www.theprovince.com/news/Cops...391/story.html :
Quote:

"The Police Act provides that a suspended police officer must continue to receive his pay and allowances for 30 days," the West Van police said in a statement.
See, a few of you were wrong. Now, lesson learned here, when you don't know facts, you shouldn't go spouting outrageous remarks.

The whole argument that the guy was suspended with pay in the first place isn't a big deal anymore, since he has now been suspended without pay for 120 hours. Although that may not encompass his entire salary during his initial 30 day suspension.

Sid Vicious 02-04-2010 03:46 PM

i have no doubt in my mind that the RCMP is the most incompetent and corrupt police organization in north america

after ian bush, dziekanski (and then the guy running over a pedestrian and killing him while drunk), this incident, the asian guy getting beat up (forgot his name), having an affair with the witness in a high profile case...alonzo harris would be proud

nns 02-04-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 6803261)
i have no doubt in my mind that the RCMP is the most incompetent and corrupt police organization in north america

after ian bush, dziekanski (and then the guy running over the guy while drunk), this incident, the asian guy getting beat up (forgot his name), having an affair with the witness in a high profile case...alonzo harris would be proud

This is not an incident involving the RCMP. The officer is affiliated with West Vancouver PD.

You know, your statement says a lot. It's a bold statement. To me, it says that you and anyone else who is so vehemently against law enforcement, be it VPD, RCMP, etc, can't even get their own facts right. Who are you to think you can make such bold statements then?

Does this embarassment not teach you any shame?

Sid Vicious 02-04-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 6803270)
This is not an incident involving the RCMP. The officer is affiliated with West Vancouver PD.

You know, your statement says a lot. It's a bold statement. To me, it says that you and anyone else who is so vehemently against the law enforcement, be it VPD, RCMP, etc, can't even get their own facts right. Who are you to think you can make such bold statements then?

my bad
however, to my knowledge those other incidents did occur with the RCMP.
but hey, you know who am i to criticize the RCMP. how about the solicitor general?
http://www.theprovince.com/news/soli...050/story.html

does anyone actually who think that the RCMP investigating THEMSELVES for breaches of conduct they committed is a good idea?

Sid Vicious 02-04-2010 03:59 PM

delete

GabAlmighty 02-04-2010 04:10 PM

Slapa da bass? Woops, I mean slap on the wrist.

Gh0stRider 02-04-2010 04:12 PM

haha...good.
fucking cops.

nns 02-04-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 6803285)
my bad
however, to my knowledge those other incidents did occur with the RCMP.
but hey, you know who am i to criticize the RCMP. how about the solicitor general?
http://www.theprovince.com/news/soli...050/story.html

does anyone actually who think that the RCMP investigating THEMSELVES for breaches of conduct they committed is a good idea?

I don't think you're interpreting the article correctly.

Heed doesn't agree with the RCMP investigating themselves. The only thing he didn't like was that he had to first hear about the possible introduction of civilian oversight through the news, instead of through his ministry.

Quote:

Heed said he wants the Mounties to submit to provincial civilian oversight — as do municipal forces, through the B.C. Police Complaints Commission — if the RCMP want to continue policing 70 per cent of the province

m4k4v4li 02-04-2010 06:01 PM

FUCK DA POLICE COMIN STRAIGHT FROM DA UNDAGROUND

dicecube 02-04-2010 06:40 PM

I remember they played NWA or Eazy E in one the fob clubs on friday (boss or fabric) and the ppl did not know what was going on haha

StealthFighter 02-04-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicecube (Post 6803567)
I remember they played NWA or Eazy E in one the fob clubs on friday (boss or fabric) and the ppl did not know what was going on haha

unfortunately, people don't give a fuck about the song as long as it has a good beat. even if eazy came back from the dead to jock those bitches and slap those hoes.

example: skeet skeet skeet.

Euro7r 02-04-2010 11:57 PM

I've heard enough news of these piece of dick police. F the police.

Durrann 02-05-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 6803310)
Slapa da bass? Woops, I mean slap on the wrist.

Slaapa da baasss.!!
yeah!! high fivee! haha

TRD Rs200 02-05-2010 03:17 AM

His ass should be fired
Posted via RS Mobile

$_$ 02-05-2010 08:08 AM

With a CRIMINAL RECORD like that I highly doubt a civilian would be able to keep their job.

stotch 02-05-2010 11:51 AM

Fuckin cops, I have .01 respect for the police, pinner-dick tim hortons guards.

In my entire life all my interactions with the police have been them pulling me over for nothing or practically nothing, suspecting something untrue, unlawful search and seizure, threats of bodily harm, unjustified handcuffing or them just shutting down our parties. This is coming from a middle class white male. I've had some scronny 5'6 brown cop tippy-toe up to nose level just to threaten to "take me into an alley and kick my teeth out", real tough when I got handcuffs on and you have your little 9mm dick replacement on your hip.

The only time I've ever been treated respectfully by the police was when I was working security and had to interact with them on a professional level, and I still witnessed gross mistreatment of the homeless.

Seems like alot of young cops are cocky dickholes in search of some authority over others.

If I had my own hand gun and some rights to defend myself, I'd be happy if they did away with 85% of the force.

Some people say don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch, but fuck that, in my eyes the bunch is spoiled.

RacePace 02-05-2010 12:29 PM

After all their previous problems, way to "lay down the law" internally by giving him a slap on the wrist.

It's bad enough that one cop would do this, but that two others from other districts would come in a join him is ridiculous. The force is corrupt as shit

SMDBICH 02-05-2010 02:33 PM

rcmp is to corrupt

tool001 02-05-2010 03:10 PM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/165/3...801a8401d8.jpg

CanadaGoose 02-05-2010 06:11 PM

It's been official for a while now...

The cops are the most organized and heavily armed gang in the lower mainland.

Mr.Jay 02-05-2010 07:06 PM

Not all cops are bad but there is for sure corruption. The police look after their own and regardless of even if a officer is caught doing something wrong s/he will get away with it with less than a slap on the wrist.

My case and point being the West Vancouver cop who got pulled over for for driving while intoxicated after leaving a work party where she consumed alcohol with her fellow officers as well as the chief of police. What happened? She got promoted. The report on her DUI also left out major portions including the who drinking at the police station and the 2 officers that wrote up the report decided to retire rather than face a investigation as to why they decided to leave out those facts.

Police (tho not all of them) are above the law or at least feel that they are.