REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
West Van cop demoted after assault on delivery man one year ago

Quote:
A West Van police officer who pleaded guilty to assaulting a newspaper-delivery man a year ago has been demoted to a probationary constable, suspended without pay for 120 hours and ordered to undergo alcohol counselling.

The West Van Police department issued a statement Thursday outlining the disciplinary measures against Griffin Gillan. The action comes more than a year after the brutal assault of delivery man Firoz Khan at Burrard and Georgia streets downtown Vancouver on Jan. 21, 2009.

West Van police say the demotion will cost Gillan about $120,000 in gross salary.

Before the assault, Gillan was drinking heavily at bars in West Vancouver and on Granville Street with Jeffrey Klassen -- a 38-year-old New Westminster police officer who is scheduled to go to trial for the assault in spring -- and Delta officer Blair Tanino, who was not charged in the incident.

Gillan became separated from his friends at around 2:30 a.m that night and, after hitching a ride with Aubrey Simon, a now-deceased witness who said Gillan appeared irritated and "very intoxicated," he ended up outside the Hyatt where he asked Khan for directions.

Khan, a 47-year-old father of three, told Gillan to "give me a second."

That's when Gillan had "an unexplained violent outburst," said the Crown. "You f---ing come here right now," he told Khan.

Keefer told court Gillan punched or kneed Khan in the stomach, and brought him to the pavement.

After being dragged to his feet, Khan asked Gillan why he was being hit. The officer replied, "You're under arrest," and pushed him back down. That's when Gillan called for "backup," alerting Klassen and Tanino.

A 911 call played in court showed how the assault mimicked police-arrest techniques, said Keefer. "Cross your feet. Get your hands up," an unspecified male voice says.

Eyewitness accounts describe Khan being punched in the back of the head, having his head pulled back and being kicked in the ribs and stomach. One witness heard Khan yelling, "Call the police." Klassen allegedly replied: "We are the police."

Khan also said he heard a racist remark but could not say who uttered it. No witnesses reported hearing it.

Upon his arrest, Gillan was unco-operative, denied the assault and spat on a police car.
http://www.theprovince.com/West+demo...347/story.html
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
a demotion... rofl

god this city is so corrupt, i don't see why the public has issues with gangsters when its run by them too
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
nns

Interesting point that I thought should be mentioned. A lot of you guys cry afoul about how cops are suspended with pay when incidents like this happen, claiming it's due to the department and their supposed ill-management. Well, that isn't the case.

According to this link, http://www.theprovince.com/news/Cops...391/story.html :
Quote:
"The Police Act provides that a suspended police officer must continue to receive his pay and allowances for 30 days," the West Van police said in a statement.
See, a few of you were wrong. Now, lesson learned here, when you don't know facts, you shouldn't go spouting outrageous remarks.

The whole argument that the guy was suspended with pay in the first place isn't a big deal anymore, since he has now been suspended without pay for 120 hours. Although that may not encompass his entire salary during his initial 30 day suspension.

Last edited by nns; 02-04-2010 at 03:32 PM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
i have no doubt in my mind that the RCMP is the most incompetent and corrupt police organization in north america

after ian bush, dziekanski (and then the guy running over a pedestrian and killing him while drunk), this incident, the asian guy getting beat up (forgot his name), having an affair with the witness in a high profile case...alonzo harris would be proud

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 02-04-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
nns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
i have no doubt in my mind that the RCMP is the most incompetent and corrupt police organization in north america

after ian bush, dziekanski (and then the guy running over the guy while drunk), this incident, the asian guy getting beat up (forgot his name), having an affair with the witness in a high profile case...alonzo harris would be proud
This is not an incident involving the RCMP. The officer is affiliated with West Vancouver PD.

You know, your statement says a lot. It's a bold statement. To me, it says that you and anyone else who is so vehemently against law enforcement, be it VPD, RCMP, etc, can't even get their own facts right. Who are you to think you can make such bold statements then?

Does this embarassment not teach you any shame?

Last edited by nns; 02-04-2010 at 03:58 PM.
nns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
This is not an incident involving the RCMP. The officer is affiliated with West Vancouver PD.

You know, your statement says a lot. It's a bold statement. To me, it says that you and anyone else who is so vehemently against the law enforcement, be it VPD, RCMP, etc, can't even get their own facts right. Who are you to think you can make such bold statements then?
my bad
however, to my knowledge those other incidents did occur with the RCMP.
but hey, you know who am i to criticize the RCMP. how about the solicitor general?
http://www.theprovince.com/news/soli...050/story.html

does anyone actually who think that the RCMP investigating THEMSELVES for breaches of conduct they committed is a good idea?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #7

delete
Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Slapa da bass? Woops, I mean slap on the wrist.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
haha...good.
fucking cops.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
nns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
my bad
however, to my knowledge those other incidents did occur with the RCMP.
but hey, you know who am i to criticize the RCMP. how about the solicitor general?
http://www.theprovince.com/news/soli...050/story.html

does anyone actually who think that the RCMP investigating THEMSELVES for breaches of conduct they committed is a good idea?
I don't think you're interpreting the article correctly.

Heed doesn't agree with the RCMP investigating themselves. The only thing he didn't like was that he had to first hear about the possible introduction of civilian oversight through the news, instead of through his ministry.

Quote:
Heed said he wants the Mounties to submit to provincial civilian oversight — as do municipal forces, through the B.C. Police Complaints Commission — if the RCMP want to continue policing 70 per cent of the province
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #11

FUCK DA POLICE COMIN STRAIGHT FROM DA UNDAGROUND
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I remember they played NWA or Eazy E in one the fob clubs on friday (boss or fabric) and the ppl did not know what was going on haha
dicecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecube View Post
I remember they played NWA or Eazy E in one the fob clubs on friday (boss or fabric) and the ppl did not know what was going on haha

unfortunately, people don't give a fuck about the song as long as it has a good beat. even if eazy came back from the dead to jock those bitches and slap those hoes.

example: skeet skeet skeet.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
I've heard enough news of these piece of dick police. F the police.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 AM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Slapa da bass? Woops, I mean slap on the wrist.
Slaapa da baasss.!!
yeah!! high fivee! haha
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

His ass should be fired
Posted via RS Mobile
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #17
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

With a CRIMINAL RECORD like that I highly doubt a civilian would be able to keep their job.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Fuckin cops, I have .01 respect for the police, pinner-dick tim hortons guards.

In my entire life all my interactions with the police have been them pulling me over for nothing or practically nothing, suspecting something untrue, unlawful search and seizure, threats of bodily harm, unjustified handcuffing or them just shutting down our parties. This is coming from a middle class white male. I've had some scronny 5'6 brown cop tippy-toe up to nose level just to threaten to "take me into an alley and kick my teeth out", real tough when I got handcuffs on and you have your little 9mm dick replacement on your hip.

The only time I've ever been treated respectfully by the police was when I was working security and had to interact with them on a professional level, and I still witnessed gross mistreatment of the homeless.

Seems like alot of young cops are cocky dickholes in search of some authority over others.

If I had my own hand gun and some rights to defend myself, I'd be happy if they did away with 85% of the force.

Some people say don't let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch, but fuck that, in my eyes the bunch is spoiled.
stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
After all their previous problems, way to "lay down the law" internally by giving him a slap on the wrist.

It's bad enough that one cop would do this, but that two others from other districts would come in a join him is ridiculous. The force is corrupt as shit
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

rcmp is to corrupt
SMDBICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #22

It's been official for a while now...

The cops are the most organized and heavily armed gang in the lower mainland.

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Not all cops are bad but there is for sure corruption. The police look after their own and regardless of even if a officer is caught doing something wrong s/he will get away with it with less than a slap on the wrist.

My case and point being the West Vancouver cop who got pulled over for for driving while intoxicated after leaving a work party where she consumed alcohol with her fellow officers as well as the chief of police. What happened? She got promoted. The report on her DUI also left out major portions including the who drinking at the police station and the 2 officers that wrote up the report decided to retire rather than face a investigation as to why they decided to leave out those facts.

Police (tho not all of them) are above the law or at least feel that they are.